pc133 compatible with pc100?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc133 compatible with pc100?

I have a eMachines PC. The Kingston and Crucial configurators say it takes PC100 RAM. However, Newegg.com doesnt carry any pc100, only pc133. Is pc133 backward compatible with pc100?? If the pc133 stick has the same specs as the recommended pc100 (CL=2, 16 x 64, etc), will it work in my intel 810 based mobo??

I want to order this RAM soon, and I was planning on getting a video card from Newegg.com...
    My first carPC!
    MP3/CD player
    Celeron 633MHz - 10GB Seagate - 64MB PC100 - Win XP

Soon to actually find its way into the car!

I've never had any problem running 133 at 100
    肚子笑痛了
    S60 Install

Comment

it might work or it might not. some mobos ( like the one i have )to accept the pc133 must have chips on both sides of the ram board.

Comment

Sometimes later ram has a higer chip density & uses fewer, bigger ram chips. Sometimes these single sided ram sticks are incompatible with some older motherboards. However, there is no reason any ram cannot work at a slower speed than rated.
        EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
        Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
        XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

yeah, I always thought that any ram could be slowed down to speed and put into any other computer - but my new carpc proved me wrong. It had to have PC100 or it would just beep incessantly at power on. I only had 2 sticks of PC100 Ram lying around, so I have only 128 mb in my computer as of now - but it's not too bad. However, just b/c Newegg doesn't have any PC100, doesn't mean that no where else does. You can try compgeeks.com or pricewatch.com. Good Luck!
          2001 Isuzu Rodeo CarPC

Comment

How many memory slots do you have?
            肚子笑痛了
            S60 Install

Comment

thanks guys!
              I have 2 slots. From the factory there's only one 32MB stick. I believe the chips are only on one side of the 32MB stick. I'm hoping to buy a single 256MB stick.

According to the configurators, max RAM is 256 in any combination. (1x256, 2x128). Here are the specs of the memory Kingston and Crucial 'guarantee' to work.
              16M x 64 non-ECC 100MHz 168-pin Unbuffered DIMM (SDRAM, 3.3V, CL2)

Now that I read those specs again, it sounds like this stick is dual sided. I think the 16M x 64 means 16MB chips. So a 256MB stick would have to have 16 chips (8 per side). But if I can find these identical specs on a PC133 stick, I should be OK?? I just need to match the memory chip density as pip said.

I know I can find memory from other places, but I'm planning to order a video card form Newegg and thought it would save some hassle. But if a big name e-tailer like Newegg only sells PC133, I figured it should be compatible.
              My first carPC!
              MP3/CD player

Comment

I just chatted with the Crucial online help folks. They said max memory is 128mb per slot for a total of 256mb. So it sounds like it only supports single sided chips. 16Mb chip x 8 chips = 128MB per slot.
                I'm just gonna find some pc100 or pc133 with those 'guaranteed' specs and give it a shot.

Thanks fellas!
                My first carPC!
                MP3/CD player

Comment

Working...
                X