Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMGNOOBIE ?????'s

I"M A HUGE NOOBIES TO THIS COMPUTER+CAR THING!!@

Anyway, I need a 2-pos rotary switch to power an ATX motherboard on and off (properly, not just cutting power). El Search-o function-o hasn't turned up anything but my old thread.

Because it's an ATX motherboard, the PWRON jumpers need to be shorted momentarily in order to do this. Just using a rotary switch by itself won't work because it'll keep the circuit closed.

Anyone have any momentary switch circuits that'll work?

Help.
    Don't Click

Like these?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WD1V
    2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

No, premade ones return to center when you turn them, kinda like the ignition in your car. I need a definite *click* when you turn the knob left or right and it needs to stay there. I drew up a schematic using some capacitors, but it didn't quite work.
      Don't Click

Comment

....So when you turn it, you need a "click" and a momentary pulse, but no spring return? whoa, ok, never seen them before!
        2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

I know, that's why I need a circuit that will short the PWRON jumper on the motherboard for 1 second when I turn the switch to either position. I know the switch alone doesn't exist.

My short-lived idea was to have two capacitors; one that would charge while the other discharges for about one second and causes a SCR rectifier to close the circuit for a second. I just couldn't come up with a working prototype.
          Don't Click

Comment

Originally posted by Gutter
            I"M A HUGE NOOBIES TO THIS COMPUTER+CAR THING!!@
            If you didn't notice your caps lock is on.
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Originally posted by brady
              If you didn't notice your caps lock is on.
              I had to make this an on-topic post somehow.
              Don't Click

Comment

Why dont you use Push button instead???

Comment

Here ya go, you need one of these with a rotary switch.
                  http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...mId=1611601184

This one is actually for AC, but I bought one for my car that's DC. This is all I could find in a 30sec search.
                  Tidder

Try RevFE
                  The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

This isn't for a car. This is for a separate project where a rotary switch is mandatory.
                    Don't Click

Comment

Well, you are not going to get momentary contact how you describe it needs to be without some other power. Either with caps or otherwise. There has to be some flow of power to make a switch open and close if you leave the trigger circuit closed.

Oh, and by the way, the timer I put in my car is DC, but not made for a car. It's just a 12v dc Timer. C'mon man.
                      Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

What I don't Understand is if you put a selector or rotary switch on something to control ATX power and it doesn't snap back with a spring or something than what you'll be doing is going from | to / to turn it on, then back to | then / to turn it off. That doesn't make sense.
                        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

To your first post: A typical ATX power supply has an always hot 3.3V line.

Think about an on/off rotary switch on an old stereo. Turn it to the left and it's off. Turn it to the right and it's on. That's what I'm trying to replicate.

Now that I think about it, I don't think this is going to work either. Let's say the computer is on and the user turns the switch to the off position. While the computer's going through the proper shutdown, if the user turns the switch back to the "ON" position, it's going to screw it all up.

This is a barebones linux system, so I'll work on making it read-only so the user can just cut the power and be done with it. This motherboard also has an AT power supply connection.
                          Don't Click

Comment

Well, the momentary is going to be a hard find as a rotory button. Guess you could always but an on/off switch and just pulse it manually yourself.

If you wanna get out of it the easy way, set your motherboard bios to turn on after power loss. and then just cut the power to the pc. When you go back in, the pc will start.
                            Mark

Car'Puter Project
                            - Xenarc 700TSV
                            - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
                            - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
                            - M2-ATX
                            - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
                            - Garmin 15H GPS
                            - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

You just need a one-shot circuit. Use one of these.

Comment

Working...
                              X