Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting the sound card to the speakers WITHOUT a headunit or amplifier

Hello everyone,

I aim to make my system as small as possible, so the existing head unit will be replaced with the carputer box. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can connect the sound card to the car's speakers WITHOUT using an auxillary amplifier? Is there any kind of electronic gizmo that does the job? I've read somewhere that I shouldn't connect the speakers directly to the sound card. Is that true?

Any reply will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Samuel

Originally posted by Sammyboy
    Hello everyone,

I aim to make my system as small as possible, so the existing head unit will be replaced with the carputer box. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can connect the sound card to the car's speakers WITHOUT using an auxillary amplifier? Is there any kind of electronic gizmo that does the job? I've read somewhere that I shouldn't connect the speakers directly to the sound card. Is that true?
    You could do it in theory, but you'd have very low volume and poor sound quality.
    You can get low-power rated amps for around US$100. In my eyes it would be worth the extra bucks for the sound quality.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
      You can get low-power rated amps for around US$100. In my eyes it would be worth the extra bucks for the sound quality.
      But my problem is that I don't have the space to mount an extra emplifier. Any other thoughts?

Kind regards,

Samuel

Comment

That "electronic gizmo" you're talking about IS an amp. And if you get a cheap little amp, it'll certainly be no bigger than this mysterious gizmo would have to be.
        www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by blurp
          That "electronic gizmo" you're talking about IS an amp.
          Sorry, I'm a newbie. I'm still learning the lingo. Could you perhaps provide me with some links to a retailer?

Kind regards,

Samuel

Comment

when I was getting my system in my car, I hooked up carputer without AMP to see that work. The result was you could only hear if I put my ear right against speaker. I don't think that is not the way to drive.

I have hatchback and did not want have AMP in trunk, so I placed under the seat. It works. I'm sure you got some space there.

Comment

I've seen a little thing at best buy once that took RCA in and let you hook it right up to your speakers.. lemme see if i can google something.
              '98 Explorer Sport
              http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
              AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
              80% done

Comment

There are some small AMPs listed in this thread.
                I am sure you have some space.

This thread

Comment

Mine fits under the seat.... it is a low slung seat. Even the little imports have some space.
                  TruckinMP3
                  D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

You will definitely need a amp if you want to hear anything from your speakers. a 50 watt x 4 channel amp is not really all that big. They can usually fit under most car seats. If not there mounted in various other places such as behind rear seats, or on a wall in the trunk/boot/hatch.
                    My Install Thread
                    digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                    How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Originally posted by hijinks21
                      I've seen a little thing at best buy once that took RCA in and let you hook it right up to your speakers.. lemme see if i can google something.
                      That;s just a line level converter. Used to convert RCA's to speaker level voltage that an AMP might require. There's not enough current to drive your speakers though, which is why you want an amp.

Kenwood makes a small 40Wx2 amp that's only 7"x9".. These can easily fit under the dash, or the front seats.
                      Epia M10000, Custom enclosure, Starvision SP-VGAT, Linksys WUSB54G, Delorme Earthmate, Windows XP

Comment

simple, just use a wireless audio link. assuming you still have your car stero installed. plug this into your audio out and a usb port to power it, then tune it in on your car stereo. used it with my buddies mp3 player and the sound quality is great.

check it out

Comment

If you're not running an HU, get an amp. No way around it. You can get a generic amp off of ebay for $25
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...723436226&rd=1
                          but I'd recommend spending a bit more and getting a quality amp. Theres tons of places you can hide it. Remember, you can put your carputer components practically anywhere in the car, and no two items really need to be next to each other.

Comment

you have to use either a head unit or an amp. Most head units contain amps (99% of them)
                            Bottom line, you have to amplify the sound output in order for it to be audible, unless you want to use your car speakers as headphones
                            My first carPC!
                            MP3/CD player
                            Celeron 633MHz - 10GB Seagate - 64MB PC100 - Win XP

Soon to actually find its way into the car!

Comment

I drive a Montero Sport XLS with the infinity sound system, which includes amps for all the speakers. I also have a 1400w amp powering a sub. My head unit has 4.5v pre-outs. What will the signal loss be from the carputer to the amp(s)? Should I get a pre-out amplifier? I have seen one that will take 4.5v from my head unit and change it to 9v but I canít find it on . Any help is appreciated!
                              Today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if maybe, there really is something wrong with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X