New to the CarPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the CarPC

I am new to the carpc idea. i was wondering if any would could explain how it works and if you can use any kind of pc. Also if you do not mind telling me the price range involed in one of these systems.

Originally posted by JoeBS2004
    I am new to the carpc idea. i was wondering if any would could explain how it works
    Electricity in one end, gubbins inside, buttons or something to control it, music, video or directions out the other end.

and if you can use any kind of pc.
    Yes.

Also if you do not mind telling me the price range involed in one of these systems.
    $50->$5000 or more.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Try the FAQ at the top of the page.
      My Install Thread
      digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
      How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Don't expect any helpfull answers here...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarum
          Don't expect any helpfull answers here...
          I thought mine was helpful. I was leading him in the right direction. The questions he asked are all answered (and more) in the FAQ. Why re-type them?
          My Install Thread
          digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
          How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

The FAQ is great, but it could def. be updated with some more detailed info.

I would like to see a step by step guide and stuff, most people just waste their replies by using the when you could put some guides, etc in their and save everybodies time.
            2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

Comment

i agree with you a step by step guide would be very helpful

Comment

I have a PC and a Touch Screen monitor what do i need to hook it up and have DVD/Mp3/Navigation

Comment

i agree with you a step by step guide would be very helpful
                  A step-by-step guide for WHAT, might I ask?
                  I will post a detailed installation log of my project, sure. But my project is different from anyone else's.

Some people have a laptop sitting ont he front seat of their car with a GPS attached to it and a tape adapter feeding into the stereo. You want a step-by-step guide for that? If you need spoon-feeding for THAT, then you've made a poor choice of hobbies, my friend.
                  How about the people who have done wonders with fiberglass & bondo to custom-mold a 7" (or larger in some cases) screen into their dash? How would a step-by-step guide for the guy who did that in his Acura help you when you've got a Ford?

My point is that everyone has different ideas for their project, what they want to get out of it, etc., so there can be no 'step-by-step guide' that encompasses everyone's idea of what a carPC should do or what it should look like or where it should be mounted, and so on.
                  Mine is going to be gaming-oriented when all is said and done. I'll show you how I get a VGA-output into my dash, sure. If that helps you, great. For most people it's rather pointless, as it has nothing to do with their project or what they want to accomplish.

Frankly, building a CarPC isn't rocket science. You're building a PC. If you know how to do that, then you've got half the battle.
                  Setting up all the pieces/parts that are specific to your project in your environment (power supply, GPS parts, audio components, etc.) as well as the software needed to accomplish the tasks you want (GPS software, audio drivers, touchscreen drivers, auto-specific front end, etc.) is the part where it gets complicated, even maddening for some.

Face it, there is no step-by-step guide.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have a PC and a Touch Screen monitor what do i need to hook it up and have DVD/Mp3/Navigation
                    I know you're a n00b, but come on...

To play DVDs, you need a DVDROM drive and software to play the DVDs (WMP9 or PowerDVD or WinDVD to name a few).

To play MP3s you need to have the MP3 codec installed (you probably already do), a sound card, and a method for connecting the soundcard to the car speakers (a whole other discussion)

To do GPS navigation, you need a GPS receiver and software that translates the signals and displays the position on a map.

To 'hook it up' (as you so vaguely put it), you're going to need lots of cables, a method of getting the car's DC power to juice up the components, a method of getting the PC audio to the car speakers (see above), etc.

No offense, brother... If you need to know what pieces you need to accomplish this basic stuff, then you've got a long, difficult journey ahead of you. I know I've got one, and I know about a lot of this stuff.
                    How about the Wiki?

Comment

Well thanks for you help and opinon, lol. Now, that i know that is like setting up a normal PC that makes this a little easier. Do you have any recommendations on a certain type of PC that performs well.

Comment

Well thanks for you help and opinon, lol. Now, that i know that is like setting up a normal PC that makes this a little easier. Do you have any recommendations on a certain type of PC that performs well.
                        What's your budget?
                        If you're poor and broke, then work with what you have access to inexpensively.
                        If you're rolling in dough, pay me and I'll hand-pick the best of the best parts for you... Mind you I'll mark them up to pocket some green for myself.

Seriously, to do what you want, most people like the EPIA M10000 board. It's reasonably powerful. Certainly enough to do what you've stated you want the PC to do. It's also small, and had a relatively low power draw, both considerations when installing into a vehicle.

Seriously, though....
                        Use the SEARCH function here. I'm not trying to be a dick by telling you this.
                        Look at what other people have done and the hardware they've used. Ask them pros/cons about what they're using. Check out the available options. Go into your local computer store and talk motherboards and processors. Fry's is awesome, if you've got one near you, since they stock a large variety of motherboards & CPUs.

Frankly, the EPIA setup doesn't have the oomph that I want for my truck project. Nothing against it. When I work on the girlfriend's carPC, it's probably what I'll use as a base.
                        How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by CavityCr33p
                          The FAQ is great, but it could def. be updated with some more detailed info.

I would like to see a step by step guide and stuff, most people just waste their replies by using the when you could put some guides, etc in their and save everybodies time.
                          There are too many variables. Everyone's project is different.
                          95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
                          ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                            Fry's is awesome, if you've got one near you, since they stock a large variety of motherboards & CPUs.
                            Fry's sucks. They've got a pretty good selection, but don't bother asking anyone there for help. There was a time when Fry's was a tech store and had tech guys working there. Now it's an electronics superstore and they have electronics super(useless)salesmen.

Geez... I'd love to hear what they'd say if you told them you wanted to put a custom computer in your car. "Uh... where would you plug it in?"
                            95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
                            ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Look in here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=35
                              And here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/search.php?
                              If you can't find your answers there, then post a specific question. Point is you aren't the first to ask this question. I'll bet this has been asked soooo many times that, in one of the combinations of words used to form this exact question, one is EXACTLY like yours. Face it building a carpc takes effort. If you don't want to put forth any effort then you aren't getting a carpc.
                              AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
                              Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
                              Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
                              -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Working...
                              X