was about ready to start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was about ready to start

so after hour's of research i was about ready to start my car pc project. i was going to buy a micro atx with a p4 1.4 gig (the p4 that only uses 38 watts). since i was a computer tech i still have tons of pc parts around my house. i had a dvd rom, laptop hard drive, one 512 ddr ram chip. now i think i took care of most of the cash problems. and then i check the price of the opus 150 watts (that everyone talks about) and the 7 ince touch screen and thoes 2 parts by them self is $500 . i was like WTF. in a home pc the power supply and the monitor are some of the cheapest parts! so my car pc project is dead now. i CANT pay that much for thoes parts. ill have to wait till these parts drop in price (by more than 60%)

Yeah, it can be expensive to buy a lot of this stuff brand new and to get your "dream" carputer, but it doesn't mean you have to drop the whole project. There are so many different, creative, and cheaper routes that can be taken. If you're a computer tech then you should have the know how and the ability to get something decent together. Just look through the forums and see what the people are doing. Try e-bay, surplus houses or (<---sorry, always wanted use that one) etc. You might have to make a few concessions, e.g. an inverter vs. an OPUS. Myself, I'm using an inverter ($30) until the time I can feel OK about dropping the cash for an OPUS. It's not the most convenient or elegant solution, but it works. In the meantime, I have (kinda, it's getting there) a carputer that works and I'm haviing fun with it.

Comment

Don't get discouraged. Like FishCook said, look at alternatives. I myself use a laptop. It comes with a battery, shutdown controller, and screen. I did buy the lilliput for touchscreen control, but it is very easy to extend my laptop screen and add a remote to control whatever I want. Inverters are a cheap solution that have had mixed results. I use one for my screen and external drive with no problems. And if you're handy with a soldering iron, there are ways to modify old power supplies. For most of us here it is a hobby, so have fun coming us with a unique way to handle your setbacks.

Comment

In my home pc the psu and monitor are among the most expensive parts! £120 for the psu (silenx 600w) and a 19" crt (£200). You get what you pay for. The opus and the touch screen are at the higher end of the market so maybe you need to look at other options.

Comment

£120 (~$220?) for an ATX PSU? Good Lord Man! I don't even think my first car was worth that much! Of course, now, I'd be happy with that as my monthly payment. If only . . .

Comment

i pay about $20 for the most for any power supply for a home pc. for $20 u can get a 350-400 watt power supply from most web sites.

Comment

You guys running $20 power supplies are usually the same guys asking why there system is unstable.
              [H]4 Life
              My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
              It will be done sometime in the next generation.
              I'm a lesbian too.
              I am for hire!

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                You guys running $20 power supplies are usually the same guys asking why there system is unstable.

i dont know much about the whole car pc thing. but i was a computer tech for about 2 years. i built more than 30 home pc's and many with the $20 dollar 350 watt power supply. and i NEVER had a problem with them. and as far as asking someone for help with a home pc. i also never did that. im a comp tech people ask me for help not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by lasteclispe
                  i dont know much about the whole car pc thing. but i was a computer tech for about 2 years. i built more than 30 home pc's and many with the $20 dollar 350 watt power supply. and i NEVER had a problem with them. and as far as asking someone for help with a home pc. i also never did that. im a comp tech people ask me for help not the other way around.
                  I have been a technician for almost 10 years. I have built over 200 PC's and
                  worked on over 500-600 systems. Several of those with power issues/stability
                  issues related to power. 95% of the time, the ones with problems were the
                  $20-35 range supplies.

Get a meter out and test the $20 vs $80+ supplies sometime.
                  You'll change your opinion quick.
                  [H]4 Life
                  My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                  It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                  I'm a lesbian too.
                  I am for hire!

Comment

I'm with frodo on avoiding the $20 blue light special PSU's. I've seen and smelled them go bad. And, they usually take something else down with them. Smoke is typically not a good thing when it comes to computers. I say pay the extra few dollars and buy some peace of mind when it comes to your power. Still don't think I'd pay $200+ for an ATX PSU though . . .

Comment

Originally posted by frodobaggins
                      I have been a technician for almost 10 years. I have built over 200 PC's and
                      worked on over 500-600 systems. Several of those with power issues/stability
                      issues related to power. 95% of the time, the ones with problems were the
                      $20-35 range supplies.

Get a meter out and test the $20 vs $80+ supplies sometime.
                      You'll change your opinion quick.

well right now my pc is running on a $20 power spply (350 watt). i have a p4 2.4 gig, 2 120 gig hard drives,1024 mb of pc 2700 ddr ram, a gforce4 256 mb ram 8x agp video card,a dvd burner,dvd rom drive,floppy, 6 neon fans (thats not counting the fan in my video card,power supply, and the one that came in my asus motherboard) and 1 neon light bar hooked up. ive had this setup for more than a year and i never had a problem with my $20 power supply. o and my case also has a few blue neons on it (part of the powmax case)

o and u dont need a meter. it says on the box the true watts of the power supply. if u pay $80 for a 350 watt power supply its most prob running at 100%. so u get to use the full 350 watt. the $20 350 watt i have is a 350 running at about 85%. if u do the math it will tell ya the true power (which is about 297 watts.) u dont need a meter the makers of the $20 power supply tell u right there in the box the true watts. its just some people are not smart enough to look and the they get mad when their power supply is not running at 350 watts.

Comment

So there...
                        Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc...8&idproduct=97

Got it mainly because it of how it quiet is and the zalman 400w I had before it had quite a low voltage on the 12v rail when powering my system. I'm not saying everyone needs one, i'm just highlighting the fact that you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to the opus.

Comment

...Smoke is typically not a good thing...
                            -- WHA? --
                            You didn't load NoSMOKE.EXE from your AUTOEXEC.BAT ? --- You FOOL You!

<> Ya get what ya pay for folks..
                            <> But starting small may just prompt you to continue on w/ the good stuff. So get that puppy up and runnin' already.
                            •Micke

Comment

uh.. this isnt no regular home pc buddy

Comment

Working...
                              X