Headrest display aspect and installation question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headrest display aspect and installation question

Quick question for those that have rear headrest displays...I'm considering putting in a cheap headrest display in the back for my son on long trips. I know they won't be good for any PC displays but I think it will look ok for dvd playback.

How do you wire these in? Do you basically fish a wire down through the seat? Cut a hole in the leather? Any advice/links on this would be apreciated.

Second, can RCA/Svideo cables transmit a widescreen signal? That is, if I have my m12000 boards RCA output enabled, and the vga port is feeding a 7" widescreen xenarc, can the RCA support a 7" widecreen regular display with no issues?

TIA,
    -Ed

I'm sorry if I sound like a dick, but there are plenty of threads on this subject. You need to use the search button.

This one is on me.
    one, two , three, and on, and on.
    they made me laugh
    -------------------------------
    "Damn pounds. Euros and USD!" - N09

"don't ruin my dreams! my parents did plenty of that " -Hcomplyr

Comment

I think composite video does widescreen, the thing is that the display has to support "widescreen", not just BE widescreen. Like if you set your DVD player to widescreen, and play it on a TV, it has the black bars at top and bottom, but if you have a widescreen TV and you turn on the "widescreen" option, it eliminates the bars and does the full display. I don't know if the small LCDs do that. I think the Xenarc just makes it "widescreen" because it's wide. Like if you displayed a regular 4:3 TV signal on a 16:9 widescreen, it just gets stretched. I think you'd just get a duplicate display on the VGA and composite. It's not really "widescreen" so much as a wide screen. :P

Maybe someone else knows a bit more than I.
      95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
      ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

I got cheap screens on my headrests. I had to fish power and a/v cables through the seat. Just next to the head rest mounts to the seat is where the cables come out. I have a video converter that converts the vga signal to rca. The pc looks bad on the screens, but divx movies and DVD's look excellent.
        The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
        CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
        PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
        Memory:1G
        Drives:160gig
        WI-FI:Cingular
        GPS:IG2k9
        Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
        The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ash
          I'm sorry if I sound like a dick, but there are plenty of threads on this subject. You need to use the search button.

This one is on me.
          one, two , three, and on, and on.
          Wow... that was pretty helpful... except that none of those threads address his question whatsoever.
          95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
          ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

lol... o thanks vanman that was a good hard laugh

Comment

back to the point
              -i am pretty shure that the screens come with a cig. plug adapter so all you got to do is cut the wire in the middle, splice it (pull the two tiny wires apart from eachother for about an inch, then cut the plastic away from them exposing the small metal strands for about a centimeter or two) on each side then simply get some more wire and connect them in-be-tween (i usually use speaker wire) tha will extend it with no problems.

-if you want just tape them or somthing of the sort to the seat, but if you are looking for a permanant screen the try making a cut at a seam, and make it as small as you can (but of advice, kids love ripping small holes into bigger ones so make shure its out of sight)

- rca is fine

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys, I really apreciate it.

John1701: Are you using widescreen displays as well?

Ash: Sorry if I offended you in someway but I did search, and even came up with your threads, but as others have said it really didn't answer my question. It's funny getting lectured from another newbie. Oh, and I don't mean to sound like a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by edrock200
                  Quick
                  How do you wire these in? Do you basically fish a wire down through the seat? Cut a hole in the leather? Any advice/links on this would be apreciated.
                  TIA,
                  -Ed
                  I fished the connector up the back of the seat and ran it out of the top where the headrest connects to the seat. My seat already had a hole in it where the plastic mount for the headrest stick up through the leather. I was able to fish the cable between the leather and the plastic-no cutting required. Take a look at the top of your seat where the headrest mounts. I'm guessing you can pull the leather away from the plastic piece that the headrest slide down into.
                  '03 Sierra Denali

Comment

Working...
                  X