Not the typical Noob questions... but a few none the less

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not the typical Noob questions... but a few none the less

Hi guys, as one of the 'noob"eaters on another board i am very familiar with the search function. as such i have looked and ahve been reading a lot and got a lot of useful info... but i still have a few specific questions that i wasn't able to get clear answers on...

what i want is an "inexpensive" carputer. all i am mainly initerested in is using it with some car tuning software that i already run on my laptop. i just want an "in-car" equivilent to my cumbersome laptop. i am not a big audio/video phile. im not concerened with the Best DVD clarity or the best MP3 software....

i know that i should get a VIA EPIA MB, an opus ITPS, a slimline cd-drive, and a HD, but what i am still unclear on is which models to get to meet my BASIC needs. I dont want to over spend for abilities i will never use. I will use a touch screen as well, and maybe GPS down the road, but for now... can someone offer some good advice on "inexpensive" entry level, BASIC components that i can start off with?

thanks

Tim

Bloody n00bling. This is the same question every person asks.
    The same answers too...

EPIA... Opus...

Seriously, just search. There are a million questions on this as nobody knows where to start. I think there are even stickies that deal with this.

Comment

i knew there would be one of ya....
      if you read my post, i said i was aware of the BRANDS that are the best,
      but what i was SPECIFICLY asking, for my BASIC no frills set-up, was what would be the best MODEL of those brands for what i want to do. I dont want to spend 250.00 on a MB or 200.00 for 150w -200w PS that does X, Y, Z, and R when all i need is one of each that does X and Y, for 100.00 each. (examples points only)
      there are a lot of OPUS power supply option, and a lot of EPIA MB options.
      im not a computer savant and dont know the difference between an EPIA M900 (or whatever it is) MB and an M1100, or what those differences mean to me with my needs!
      thats why i am asking for an OPINION on what a good, capable compnenet would be thats not over the top for what i need!

Comment

Heh, what an ***. I recommend an EPIA M10000, with a Opus 150watt, Slimline DVD The Xenarc is the best screen in my opinion, but the liliput will suffice. I have a Hitachi HD and I cant say I've had any problems with it. Good luck.

Comment

Moochus Grassy ***!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If you go to MP3car store www.mp3car.com/store you can see that there is a cheaper 90W PSU, and you can see that the lilliput touchscreens are cheapest. External slimline DVD drives are always going to be more expensive than internal non-slim drives which you can get for free after rebate.
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

No your asking the typical noob questions, congradulations for staying with the norm. Anyway get the Epia 10k, atleast 256 megs, whatever hd you want, dvd drive if you wish, epia psu (90w will do fine), a touchscreen and your obdII interface and software.

Peace out.
              Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

I have been lurking and searching this forum for awhile and here's what I learned so far (like a summary) I don't post much because a lot of people here have attitude towards newbies (sorry had to say it) and they feel like they have to slam a newbie to boost their egos. Anyways--

- You want an LCD with a VGA in... not just composite (RCA). You can use an LCD with a composite IN but it won't be as clear as the one with VGA in. Most people here use Lilliputs and Xenarcs.. Xenarcs are more expensive but they are more reliable as well. There are other brands like Tview and Starvision as well..

- You will need a FrontEnd software for your CarPC. Go to "Software" section of this forum to learn more. You can choose between MediaCar, FrodoPlayer, etc.. A FrontEnd software is basically your "main" GUI.

- For a PC, you might want to try an old PC and experiment with it. (500Mhz P2 is ok)

- "Regular HDD's" are not as rigid as a Laptop HDD when it comes to vibration. Also, mount your drive(s) vertically, not horizontally (head/platter issue)

- PSU stands for "Power Supply Unit"

Later man
                Have fun
                CarPC Status: 0%[••••••••••••---]100%

Smashed 4" Lilliput
                66 Mhz Pentium Pro
                400MB Ultra 33 IDE HD
                EISA VGA card (16 colors)
                Windows 3.1

Comment

So to answer your question, the basic stuff that you'll need for a carputer:

1. LCD screen (VGA IN is a must, it will simplify things for you)
                  2. Computer (as I said, a beater P2 will suffice for now)
                  3. As for the power supply, there are two (2) ways to do this: 1) DC-DC, you are basically going to convert your car's 12v to a regulated +12 and +5; and 2) Using an Inverter. You basically hardwire the power inverter to a 12v source and plug the PC as is. This IS THE basic and inexpensive way to do power it up (and less complex)
                  4. Front End software (go to the software section of this site to learn more)

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
                  CarPC Status: 0%[••••••••••••---]100%

Smashed 4" Lilliput
                  66 Mhz Pentium Pro
                  400MB Ultra 33 IDE HD
                  EISA VGA card (16 colors)
                  Windows 3.1

Comment

www.mini-itx.com/store

www.itx-warehouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by xtm
                      II don't post much because a lot of people here have attitude towards newbies (sorry had to say it) and they feel like they have to slam a newbie to boost their egos.
                      Ego-- very perceptive. I was just thinking that my acute irritation at this thread is in no way allied to the fact that there's a new thread posing these same questions each and every single time I check this board. And in this particular case, strangely, the existence of those threads do not belie this thread owner's exclamation that he has researched, as it usually does.

Comment

Originally posted by eatyummypuppies
                        Ego-- very perceptive. I was just thinking that my acute irritation at this thread is in no way allied to the fact that there's a new thread posing these same questions each and every single time I check this board. And in this particular case, strangely, the existence of those threads do not belie this thread owner's exclamation that he has researched, as it usually does.
                        This is the newbie forum after all... if you can't be cordial, then why post here? I'm pretty sure most people do search on a topic but they either have a specific question and are looking for a specific answer that may or may not be similar to previously answered questions. People want individual attention because even if their question is about a topic that has been beaten to death, they still feel better knowing they were answered directly.

Comment

stfu n00b

Comment

Originally posted by eatyummypuppies
                            stfu n00b
                            I must say, your extensive vocab, never cease to impress me. Did i say that right? lol

Edit: sorry noobie but there are many ways you can go about doing this. There is no simple, less expensive way. It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to set it up. Id suggest learning about what processor is best for your needs then figure out how you want it to be installed in your vehicle, like where and what all you will need. There is always the option of an inverter and a cheap computer.
                            I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                            Buy Sell or Trade
                            If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
                            Thank you
                            Forex
                            Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

xtm seems to know some stuff. Good helping out your fellow persons.

If you are running this primarily for a certain software, you will obviously want something that will run your progie. You don't want a 400mhz system when the prog requires 800mhz. What are the software requirements?

Other than that. Like they said: Opus 90w (if you're running a mini-itx). The motherboard is dependant upon what program requirements are. Personally, I like up-to-date speed, so I've been saving for the Epia M10000. Ram is the same, get as much as you need (then a little more if you can afford it). LCDs are your decision too. You could mod a PSone LCD if you wanted it's inexpensive, but takes some time/patience (I searched, too much work for me) saving for a lilliput *possibly* a xeanarc (sp.) CD/DVD - where do you want to put it? Slot load or tray?

There are lots of options, each CarPC reflects it's owner as it's designed for a need/want they had/have. We'll be able to direct you in which is better, trouble shoot problems, etc. but, telling you you need to get this or that doesn't work. My setup may cost me 2x as yours costs you. But mine will do what I want and yours should take care of your needs.

I am nowhere close to being done with mine. So please don't be offened by anything in my post.

Comment

Working...
                              X