Project Car needed some gearheads on Carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Car needed some gearheads on Carputer

Ok I am a complete newbie when it comes to the carputers, I've read and so far I know I will have to get myself a opus PSU

now I got a few questions for you guys.

We are developing a project car that is going to be running around 700-900whp. the car will be tracked and autocrossed.

What does this have to do with it?

Well we are planning on using the carputer to interface with the electromotive Tec 3 unit ( standalone) as well as act as our media console for a webcam/wireless communications with the homebase.

The car's headunit + PIE connector will act as our RCA out for audio.

Why not a laptop? simple reasons, being that this is a full blown car, we want to have everything as integrated as possible plus we want to make it look cool for shows.

So here are my questions:

Getting a Opus 150 PSU will the following components be a good investment?

1. VIA EPIA-V10000A PLE133 VIA 1GHZ CPU,1PCI,1DIMM,10/100 LAN AUDIO VIDEO USB UDMA 100 MINI-ITX OEM

2. 256-512 megs of RAM

3. some sort of harddrive ( any recommendations? ) would a laptop HD with a IDE converter necessary?

4. xenarc display.
    5. some sort of wireless communications via either ethernet or USB. we need at least 1 mile out of this.

6. DVD/CDRW?

Will this operate properly? or what are your recommendations..

Please remember we are trying to keep costs down and we are not ready to go and drop over 1k on this.

I been researching a lot on motherboards and the VIA VPSD seems to be the best way to go since we are going to be placing this on a 10X10" area.

Here is the picture of where its going to be placed ( see attached)

any recommendations it would be great. I know there are something on the search feature..

But remember this is a diffrent ball park carputer as this carputer will be stressed sometimes with acceleration and decelleration
    thanks!
    Attached Files

hey man i'm also a n00b and was planing on doing this to be used with a Haltech E6X on my 88 RX-7 Turbo.

hit me up on Yahoo/MSN [email protected] or AIM at Moeromina

what kind of car is this? your going for pretty damn high numbers for HP.. what class are you running in with SoloII?

Jess

Comment

Ummm, a 700-900whp Neon?? Why??
      But that's another issue

You could get away with a Opus 90W or maybe even the std Morex 60W + Carnetix 1260. Most guys running the Opus 150W are using Athlon or P4 CPU's. With a VIA board and chip, I dont think you'll need that much power.

I'm really interested in your project. I guess you'll mainly use it for tuning the TEC3 plus datalogging and on-track video recording. You'll need to isolate the PC from the car, cause 700hp makes a lot of vibration. I would recommend a laptop HD for the same reasons. With no AC, cooling should be taken into consideration too.

And do you really think you can autocross a 700hp car? With that kinda power, its hard enough to go straight.
      My first carPC!
      MP3/CD player
      Celeron 633MHz - 10GB Seagate - 64MB PC100 - Win XP

Soon to actually find its way into the car!

Comment

autocrossing a 700whp neon LOL. prepare to get owned. spool time on a neon of that power would be horrid and completely suck on a autox.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickB
          autocrossing a 700whp neon LOL. prepare to get owned. spool time on a neon of that power would be horrid and completely suck on a autox.
          Nah, he could just keep the engine revs up and do everything with the clutch. 700 WHP is more than anyone should need for a short-course autocross, and he said that he needs a mile range, so he will probably be using it for mroe than just short-course autocrossing, and the turbo will have time to spool up.
          Old plans out the window because of an accident .
          Have: M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 256MB, 60GB 2.5", slim slot load DVD
          Need: Time, HU integration, ideas for Lilli

Comment

Originally posted by RPI Geek
            Nah, he could just keep the engine revs up and do everything with the clutch. 700 WHP is more than anyone should need for a short-course autocross, and he said that he needs a mile range, so he will probably be using it for mroe than just short-course autocrossing, and the turbo will have time to spool up.
            itwill get smashed by 110hp miatas eitherway

Comment

Hi, I'm an autoxer and I'm planning on finally installing my carputer this weekend. I'm doing a plexiglass case and putting it in the dash, behind the screen. At this point, I don't see taking my car to the track, but I might in the future. I'm already making some compromises, like I plan to install only a front motor mount and not a rear one as well because of the vibration it transfers to the cabin. I also need to see whether I'll need to cushion it more once I have it installed. I'm using a laptop hard drive and DVD-RW, so they should be a little more resistant. If you go laptop, you will need adaptors. Down the road I plan to integrate in an OBD-II reader or something else so I can read and tune my car. I have spent a little over $1K on everything at this point, and I'll probably spend a little more before it's finished. If you want, PM me and I'll tell you exactly what parts I'm using. I can also tell you the mods that have been done to my car for autox.

Oh, and Miatas do kick *** at autox.
              Carputer Pics
              Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

Comment

Originally posted by Katya
                Oh, and Miatas do kick *** at autox.

yup they are awefully hard to beat. specially if they have boost

Comment

Yup, our local SCCA SM2 champion this year was a turboed silver Miata. Very nice.
                  Carputer Pics
                  Xenarc, custom case, M10000, 40 gig 2.5" hard drive, laptop DVD burner, Wi-fi, Bluetooth, GPS mouse, FP 1.09, M1-ATX

Look for me on the track, cause that's where you'll find me.

Comment

700 HP on a Neon? Is that even possible? Are we talking about a SRT-4? I mean, its only a 4 banger. The only way I see this possible is to drop the stock turbo, and put an upgraded turbo, a CRAPLOAD of nitrous, massive injectors, and a cam lift. I'm pushing 500 HP with a turbo v6. No nitrous though. Seriously, how are you getting that much HP on a 4 cylinder?
                    Quick! To the Popemobile!

Comment

Originally posted by BiohazrD
                      700 HP on a Neon? Is that even possible? Are we talking about a SRT-4? I mean, its only a 4 banger. The only way I see this possible is to drop the stock turbo, and put an upgraded turbo, a CRAPLOAD of nitrous, massive injectors, and a cam lift. I'm pushing 500 HP with a turbo v6. No nitrous though. Seriously, how are you getting that much HP on a 4 cylinder?
                      its not sor hard to do in a 4banger. i have friends with dsms with 800+whp. srt4 motors are very good motors and throw out all kinds of boost.

the mods list would be extensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Katya
                        Yup, our local SCCA SM2 champion this year was a turboed silver Miata. Very nice.
                        ours as well.

Comment

the SRT4 is a 2.4L motor compared to the Eclipse's 2.0L. THis would help the turbo spool up faster.
                          Trying to get 700whp out of 2.4L will take a lot of boost from a huge turbo. A major shot of nitrous would be needed to help spool that giant turbo. Some headwork and cams. I'm not saying it cant be done, but as PatrickB put it, that would be a long list of mods.

The interesting part to me is trying to autocross a car with that kinda lag. When you floor it, you would get nothing... nothing... nothing, then a sudden burst of power. Great for the 1/4 mile, but not good for coming out the corners.

BTW, Ive heard the stock SRT4 turbo is welded onto the manifold. Makes upgrading that much more difficult.
                          My first carPC!
                          MP3/CD player

Comment

ya know saying *geting that much power out of a 4 banger????* is very ignorent i'm sorry but considering that a freakin honda cvic came out with as much hoursepower as a 70's 350 says something... the technology out today is mindboggling.. they have V10s and V12s Reving to 16-20K with F1 cars... i have "herad of" honda engines puting out over 1000 HP to the wheels *some drag cars* but have yet to see proof of that.. but seeing the car its deffently beliveable... look at rotarys.. they hit 400 HP very easyly and thats only a 1.3L i've seen them hit 700-800 on the same motor... i've seen the 20B's *3rotor 2L* put out well over 1000...

sorry for the rant but before long you will see top fuel drag cars out of 4 cyl... *well no but you get the idea* and 4 cyls are hiting 6's now in the 1/4...

Comment

rotaries dont count
                              but I agree with what youre saying...
                              My first carPC!
                              MP3/CD player

Comment

Working...
                              X