n00b: Proposed Plans and questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b: Proposed Plans and questions

hey guys i'm new to this whole thing but i have devised my setup for the most part with a few questions...

System
    Case: Super Mini VIA ITX Case
    Mainboard: VIA 1Ghz
    Ram: 512 DDR
    Drive: Laptop type DVDRW drive
    HD: 40gig Laptop

Monitor: 7.2 Inch TFT Touchscreen from this site

addons
    USB GPS unit from this site
    Accelerometer Hooked /w software that will spit out Hoursepower, 0-60, 60-0 Lateral G's etc..
    Bluetooth Wireless Networking

Not really addons standalone units that will have displays or Tuning software
    Wideband O2 Sensor Controler
    Haltech E6X EMS system

now a coupple of questions...

Is there a Modem that i can connect to my Cell to just use Dial up?

is there a way to be able to hook up wires from Gauge senders and then write software that will be able to read the signals coming in and display annalog gauges on screen?

And should i bother geting an External Sound card like the Audigey 2 external? or will running a Wire from the normal spot to a Amp work well?

ok that about covers it for now.. if you guys want links to any of this stuff just ask..

to start...

i would do a search for whatever your cell phone provider is, then do a search for obd. and what is the normal spot?
    don't worry i know i usually don't make much sense

Comment

Comment

OBD? dont get me wroung but this car is NOT OBD or OBD 2 its an 88 RX-7 Turbo it came out well before OBD..
        I will be puting a Standalone EMS system but it wont record things like EGT temps, and some other things and i'm pretty damn sure Haltech isent OBD dependent...

i might have misunderstood about what you ment though...

Will do with the Cell

Comment

yeah you didn't say what car you had in your first post so i assumed you had a compliant car. i would check out this thread to see what this guy did because something tells me you would have to use something similar ... i checked real quick on google and didn't see any real solutions
          don't worry i know i usually don't make much sense

Comment

Originally posted by Anarx
            Most newer cellphones have a data cable that allows you to connect it to the PC to use for updating the phonebook, as well as using the cellphone as an internet connection, assuming you've got internet access on your phone.

is there a way to be able to hook up wires from Gauge senders and then write software that will be able to read the signals coming in and display annalog gauges on screen?
            Are you talking stock gauges or your add-ons?
            I'm pretty sure this is *possible*, but I don't know how to do it, to be certain. You might check your add-on monitoring equipment to see if it has the capability of sending to a serial port or somesuch....

And should i bother geting an External Sound card like the Audigey 2 external? or will running a Wire from the normal spot to a Amp work well?
            It depends on how much you're into sound quality, really. Some people have had good results running a 1/8" headphone jack to RCA L/R cable into an amp. Some have not had as good results.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

it would be Aftermarket Gauges, VDO Gauges..

i am now starting to debate on if i can get good enough software writen for it and it looks good enough i chould just replace my gauge cluster with a TFT screen...

Comment

hey guys i'm new to this whole thing but i have devised my setup for the most part with a few questions...

System
                Case: Super Mini VIA ITX Case
                Mainboard: VIA 1Ghz
                Ram: 512 DDR
                Drive: Laptop type DVDRW drive
                HD: 40gig Laptop

Monitor: 7.2 Inch TFT Touchscreen from this site

addons
                USB GPS unit from this site
                Accelerometer Hooked /w software that will spit out Hoursepower, 0-60, 60-0 Lateral G's etc..
                Bluetooth Wireless Networking

Not really addons standalone units that will have displays or Tuning software
                Wideband O2 Sensor Controler
                Haltech E6X EMS system

now a coupple of questions...

ok that about covers it for now.. if you guys want links to any of this stuff just ask..
                i don't think your going to have any luck with the haltech and a touchscreen. haltech runs in dos only.

Comment

it would be Aftermarket Gauges, VDO Gauges..

i am now starting to debate on if i can get good enough software writen for it and it looks good enough i chould just replace my gauge cluster with a TFT screen...
                  i would get higher quality gauges then vdo if u raelly care about what your monitoring.

Comment

you have a haltech wired up?

Comment

I would reccomend using a soundcard with a RCA output. And you can grab data about your gauges from OBD-II.
                      Quick! To the Popemobile!

Comment

NO OBD SYSTEMS.. this is a 88 RX-7 Pre OBD..

VDO aucully is a better gauge then Autometer one of the guys on the RX-7 Forums went and did a test with a pump between a VDO Boost and a Autometer Boost and the VDO was off by maybie 1/2 to 1 PSI but the autometer was off by about 4 PSI.... now personally that is completely rediculas... also VDO is the stock gauges in Porche's and i think VW... so that says something right there...
                        the other things about them is they look better to me.. they dont look extreamly Ghady like alot of the Autometer lines...

now if i had money comeing out my *** i would go Defi gauges.. they are better but ****loads of money....

and the Haltech E6X is ran from the new Halwin software its a win32 program..... you can also run the E6K software from a Dos shell inside windows.. i've done it...

and No i do not have my Haltech yet.. if i was willing to settle for the E6K then i probably would of had it by now.. but senice i want to go for the next up model then i am going to have to save up more....

allright anymore questions?

Comment

Anouther thing i have been thinking is if i end up geting a E6K i might go ahead and run the computer from Linux as the Standalone software is really the only reason i am going to Winblowz.... i have heard that there is desent DOS emulators for Linux and have heard almost completely that there isent a Desnt Windows one yet

Comment

Working...
                          X