Noobie questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobie questions

Well, i want to build a carputer. I am pretty familiar with computers, but not advanced. Building this though doesn't seem like somehting I couldn't handle.

Now...Space really isn't an issue. I plan on building my own case anyways. Te problems I am having getting started is not knowing what all I need. I figure the best way for me to ask this, is make a list of what I think I need, then let you tell me what I dont need and what im missing.

I want the system to play MP3's and some short videos. I would like the OS to be XP. I don't care about DVD/GPS yet, as I can add that later. I also would like to eventually, control some electrical componets from it such as neons or strobes if possible.

My list:
    Touchscreen
    Mainboard
    Processor
    HD
    CD drive (for loading)
    Power supply and inverter
    Cooling fans
    Sound card and video card
    Switch thingy to shut it off on its own

Now, I know I need video and sound cards with RCA outputs and a video output. Will the ATI all in wonder do what I need?

Ive searched all over and im lost. I want to build this as cheap as possible and upgrade later. I want it simple. I don't have time to research everypart to put into this thing. Is there anyone who can help me with a list of parts w/model numbers that would work for me and still be reasonabl cheap?

you want this to be cheap....ATI all in wonder?????? Wish i had one. If you get one and dont want it ill buy it for half price

Are you going to use a head unit?

Edit: dont think you need to spend that much money on a video card if you only want to play mp3's. Ya might not even need to buy a video card to start.
    I GIVE FREE HUGS!
    Buy Sell or Trade
    If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
    Thank you
    Forex
    Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

you didn't happen to come over from the neons board did you?

Comment

I'm planning on using an old ATI AIW card

AIW Radeon 128 with 32MB of RAM. I've had this card for almost 3 years if i remember correctly. Runs perfectly fine for 99% of the things I do. That 1% is the problem.

I'm not a big video game fan and when I do play, I play on game consoles. So if someone decides that they want to play NFS Underground, then that's where I will run up against a wall.

You can find this card on Ebay for less than $50 with all of the adapters.

AIW Radeon 128

Comment

Aiw

I just finished buying an AIW 9000 64MB AGP card with the remote wonder for $85 on Ebay.

Comment

you need a parallel port relay controller board to switch things on and off (such as neons). If you have a search in google you should find a couple of places that sell them, otherwise there are schematics on the net to build them yourself, they are pretty straightforward. If you have a look on this forum you will also find there is a thread about a serial port relay controller interface that is being designed (not too sure about the progress of it though).

Comment

Well, I used to have an all in wonder, on my old PC. I got it when it wasn't even on the market yet. A freind of mine got it form someone he knew there to test it, then he built my PC and put it in.

I am going to run a head unit. The one I have is a Clarion and it DOES have aux in which I know will help.

The only reason I wanted a video card, was so I could use the touchscreen to control it, unless I dont need a video card for that. I may run navigation at a later date too.

I found a guy who his business is going under and he said he thinks he can get me a PC for like nothing. He said they are all like brand new and really nice, so that would help alot.

I also will look into the parallel port and see if I coulndt build it. I am pretty good at that kinda stuff. If I have schematics, I can build it.

Comment

Oh...and ya I came from the neon boards

Comment

Welcome. yeah just get a computer and take a look around. Ya might have to take some time out from your other boards or forums and search. all or most of what ya need to know to get ya going is on here.
                  I GIVE FREE HUGS!
                  Buy Sell or Trade
                  If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
                  Thank you
                  Forex
                  Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

Originally posted by imprtfightr
                    Oh...and ya I came from the neon boards
                    thought i recognized the name...i use the same sn on both boards...welcome to mp3car.

Comment

Originally posted by imprtfightr
                      Now, I know I need video and sound cards with RCA outputs and a video output. Will the ATI all in wonder do what I need?

Ive searched all over and im lost. I want to build this as cheap as possible and upgrade later. I want it simple. I don't have time to research everypart to put into this thing. Is there anyone who can help me with a list of parts w/model numbers that would work for me and still be reasonabl cheap?

If you want a cheap solution, you should go for a VIA EPIA M10000 Nehemiah Mini-ITX Motherboard. (about $149 just look around for deals). That's pretty popular among carputers because it is small and has the video card, sound card, processor (1Ghz), usb, etc ... all built into the board. As for a touch screen monitor, 7" Lilliput and Xenarc are popular screens to use. (They go for about $250 +/-).

Comment

thanks guys!

Now that sounds like what I need....everything in one! I will check that one out for sure.

Comment

Working...
                        X