Easiest 'wire to battery' solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easiest 'wire to battery' solution?

Currently i've been using the cigarette lighter with limited success and i'm looking for a more permanent solution, wiring straight to the battery, im using a morex80w piece of **** PSU that will be replaced by a 150w opus when i have the $$$.

What is the easiest way to wire direct to the battery? Are there spare battery wires around in my car already? (bmw 96 e36) do i go to the fuse box? i see heaps of people 'wired to battery' on this forum so how did u all do it?

like some ppl here i could also flame how ppl do not search before posting.
    for now, opus has three wires, red, black, and either white or yellow.

goto your local wiring store and pick up some 8 or 10 guage wire (2 lengths about 10 feet since you have a tiny car. one wire you will need a fuse on it about 30 40 amp fuse.
    find a rubber grommet somewhere on your firewall to run the wires through from the engine compartment to where you will put the opus.

connect the black wire from the opus to one wire not fused and connect the other end to the negative (-) side of the battery.
    connect the red wire from the opus to the wire that is fused and connect the other end to the positve (+) side of the battery.
    connect the white or yellow wire from the opus to a fuse from the tiny little cars fuse box that has power when cranking. (usually the radio fuse will work).

thats it.
    ppl reading this be nice, he is a newbie. only thing sucks for him is the car he has.
    The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
    CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
    PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
    Memory:1G
    Drives:160gig
    WI-FI:Cingular
    GPS:IG2k9
    Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
    The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

thanks for the reply,

although not exactly what i was after, i understand how to wire an opus and HAVE searched, what im after is how to get power from the car independant of PSU, eg when u say 'negative side of battery' i am assuming you do not mean the actual battery, so then where do i find power/battery wires do i have to take up a fusebox slow and do it that way ?

Comment

yes i do mean the actual battery...

you could connect the opus to your fusebox. just need to find one that has power when the car is on AND off.

as independant of the psu, search for building a ps

finding the correct fuses from the fusebox will be in the manual that came with the car.
        The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Your battery should be in the trunk anyway, so whats so difficult?
          2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE - My cardomain page.

Comment

Originally posted by john1701
            connect the black wire from the opus to one wire not fused and connect the other end to the negative (-) side of the battery.
            you dont have to run a negative wire all the way to the battery, it is sufficient to connect the negative wire to a part of the cars chassis, since the negative terminal is connected directly to the cars chassis also
            Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

true but i did that and had some power problems, ran ground straight to the battery and all my power problems went away.
              The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

wow didn't actually think thats what everyone meant heh crazy.
                yeah you can just ground the negative side i got that.

Comment

Originally posted by john1701
                  true but i did that and had some power problems, ran ground straight to the battery and all my power problems went away.
                  you must have grounded to a bad spot then
                  Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
                    He may not have scrapped all of the paint off. But yes it is generally a better idea to have a negative wire also, because it helps keep the risk of ground loop down if you are positive you're actually grounding to the batterys negative terminal and not going through bad weld spots, etc, causing a change of resistance!
                    CarPC install is starting to come along again...

Comment

Originally posted by Nic
                      probably
                      The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Grayscale
                        He may not have scrapped all of the paint off. But yes it is generally a better idea to have a negative wire also, because it helps keep the risk of ground loop down if you are positive you're actually grounding to the batterys negative terminal and not going through bad weld spots, etc, causing a change of resistance!
                        The only problem with this theory is that the ground has no potential i.e. zero volts, and is very easy to induce noise into ground wires. For boats, it is suggested that you ground everything to the same point so that you are not boiling electrons off into the water (usually from a brass prob that will slowly "eat" itself away), but in cars it is highly suggested that you ground everything as short as you can (usually something less than 18") if you can ground things to the same point while keeping under 18" that is great also.

The trick to good grounding in a car is to have a heavy wire connecting the (-) of the battery to the frame of the car. Most vehicles seem to use an 8 ga wire for this stock. If you're going to do a lot of add on equipment, I suggest increasing this. Personally, I have 3 batteries in my car. One in the stock location, two in the trunk. There is 2 ga wire grounding the stock battery to the frame/body, and 4 ga wire connecting the positives of all three batteries, and another set of 2 ga connecting the rear negatives and to chassis/body there. I've never had a ground issue, not in car audio or car-puter.

BACK ON TOPIC:
                        It really is probably easiest/best to run your own wires. The car-puter is going to draw a considerable ammount of current that you probably don't want to pass through the stock fuse block. There most likely isn't a fuse there that is big enough to do it's job AND run the car-puter. Upping the size of the fuse always seems like a good fix, until your first electrical fire. So my suggestion is to run your own power and ground wire (power from the battery ground to frame/body 18" or less) and you should be able to use a stock ACC line (maybe even a RMT or ANT output of your radio depending on your situation and wants).
                        2006 Chevy Colorado: VIA M10000 EDEN, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB 2.5" Seagate HDD, USB Slim Slot DVD/RW, Holux GPS, MobileVU 10.4" LCD (touch not working yet), VOOMPC Case (blue), 70W DC-DC supply.

Comment

well i ripped out my previous cable and put it straight through to the battery with much ******* around and cursing however. Opus has shipped, thank you mp3car.com, should be here soon, yay.

Comment

Working...
                          X