i dont know where the noise is coming from

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i dont know where the noise is coming from

help. ive been searching the forums to no avail.

ok. heres my setup

my carputer btw is in the dash

my stock deck <== Auxillary-in adapter <== carputer <== ITPS (red-connected to lighter wire, white[14ga or 18ga]-connected to battery, black[10ga]-grounded to chasis [other{right} side of battery{left} ground)

i still have noise. i hear stuff when GPS is on (e.g. map software is tracking stuff), also when HD is reading. and i think mouse movement as well.

my lilliput lcd is just plugged into lighter socket (so that must have some noise) but when i unplug it i still hear noise

do i need to buy a ground loop isolator (sp?) for my aux-in adapater? or am i doing something completely wrong?

is there anything wrong with my questions?? how come nobody as in nobody answers me

Comment

try grounding the motherboard to the chasis
      BossTone74

Comment

ok. am i creating a ground loop since my stock deck is already grounded... then my computer is also grounded on a different part of the chasis. am i creating a ground loop because of this?

Comment

You need to ground everything to the same spot.
          '99 Accord LX
          -------------
          Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

Originally posted by Maukio
            You need to ground everything to the same spot.
            but how do i ground my stock deck if its already grounded?

how do i re-ground my stock decK?

Comment

definately ground loop. an isolator will do the job but if you can fix the noise without one then the frequency range will not be affected as it is (usually) with a ground loop isolator.

I found that the problem in mine was coming from the monitor (the sheild on the VGA cable) and the stereo (head unit, which I had the FM modulator plugged into). I got bored of it and bought an isolator, but I will be looking at it again when I get a chance.

If I had a bit of time I would weld a new grounding point to the chasis and run all audio (media) equipment off that. also make sure that all earth straps (engine/gearbox) and battery earth are clean and intact.

Comment

i just bought a ground loop isolator and put it between my stockdeck/auxillary-adatper AND carputer..

i havent even turned on the carpter and i was already hearing noise. not whining since i havent done anything, just started the car. then boom

WTF

Comment

Sounds like something wrong with your motherboard ground, like bosstone said.
                  Tidder

Try RevFE
                  The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder
                    Sounds like something wrong with your motherboard ground, like bosstone said.
                    ok. so i have to ground my mobo to my car chasis as well?

ive been reading some ppl saying that if i ground my ITPS properly (which i know i am now since i ground it where the -ve of my batt is grounded), that i dont have to ground anything else with carputer.

ok i will try and ground my mobo.

btw, my mobo is not in any case. its in my dash

Comment

Originally posted by chicochu
                      ok. so i have to ground my mobo to my car chasis as well?

ive been reading some ppl saying that if i ground my ITPS properly (which i know i am now since i ground it where the -ve of my batt is grounded), that i dont have to ground anything else with carputer.

ok i will try and ground my mobo.

btw, my mobo is not in any case. its in my dash
                      Check the link in my sig, my mobo has no case and is in the dash as well. I do have my mobo grounded to chassis as well. I would not put a ground between your PS and your mobo, your PS already does that thru ATX connector. But ground your PS or your motherboard (i did both) to the chassis.
                      Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Ground to the chassis your computer audio out ground as well, this fixed the majority of my noise.
                        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Ground to the chassis your computer audio out ground as well, this fixed the majority of my noise.

hoW do i ground this? do u mean the rca jacks? sorry. n00b in the house (wiring/grounding n00b)

Comment

Check the link in my sig, my mobo has no case and is in the dash as well. I do have my mobo grounded to chassis as well. I would not put a ground between your PS and your mobo, your PS already does that thru ATX connector. But ground your PS or your motherboard (i did both) to the chassis.

what do you mean when you say not to ground between my PS and my mobo?

mobo <-> mini-atx PS <-> ITPS

mini-atx PS to ITPS has a ground wire, then ITPS to chasis has ground too

what do i do again?

Comment

Originally posted by chicochu
                              what do you mean when you say not to ground between my PS and my mobo?

mobo <-> mini-atx PS <-> ITPS

mini-atx PS to ITPS has a ground wire, then ITPS to chasis has ground too

what do i do again?
                              Forget about it, I reread your post, and I musta read something wrong. I thought you ran a whole new wire between your PS and your mobo to ground them together.

Anyway, your audio on your computer has 3 outs. Left, Right, and ground. You need to ground that ground to your chassis.
                              Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Working...
                              X