Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scored a Compaq Presario 1245 w/broken monitor..now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a Compaq Presario 1245 w/broken monitor..now what?

I was planning on building a slim computer which would allow me to put which upgrades i wanted hardware wise..but, just found out my girlfriend has a perfectly good (older) laptop with a cracked monitor. But as you would assume, I'd just be using the vga out to a lilliput or something of that nature.

The laptop has 160megs of memory, a 333 mhz chip and a 3.2 gig drive. How well can this run xp? Anyone here running an older laptop for their car computer?

im running an xp setup on a 350mhz wif 128mb and a 2(?) gig hdd
    Not in car, but yea.

The only reason my car comp isnt on xp yet is because the its only got a 3 gig hdd, and xp isnt too small.

There is a few things you can use to cut xp down. But there shouldnt be too much problem.

Dvd's etc may not be a gd idea - no idea bout gps, but for mp3's - should b sweet
    92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
    Morex 80W
    120G External HDD
    16x2 Charater Display
    Creative IR Remote
    VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
    7.2Ah SLA Tank
    PCMCIA 802.11b
    256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

A 333 will be pretty anemic for running XP, but it can't hurt to try. It's really better suited for Windows 98.

If it has 160 megs of RAM, you might be ok for running XP, but don't expect a speed demon.

If you DO use it, consider getting an external USB drive enclosure for holding MP3s. That way you can use a cheap desktop drive.
      Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
      http://hallert.net/

Comment

Yea, I was thinking of a usb external drive too. But then again, I'd need to get a usb hub so i can attach several usb devices..soundcard, etc..

Comment

i have a 450 mhz p3 with 128 megs of ram, im gonna try runnin xp on there i think, hopefully it can do dvds.

Comment

I'd use 98 SE on that.
            00 Saturn SL2, boosted @ 8 psi - CarDomain
            Newest install - my quickest ever
            My 2nd carputer - b4 I broke the touchscreen
            My very first carputer - voted the most ghetto

Comment

I have an old PII 366 Laptop and it ran 2000 ,just fine, No way in Hell in regards to XP, 98 would be fine and faster than 2000. I ran into the same problems, Divix movies lagged alot to.

Comment

Windows 2000 for slower machines. I'm never going back to win9x
                PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                GammaControl v2.4
                SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                  Windows 2000 for slower machines. I'm never going back to win9x

Agreed, I got so desparate with my old setup that I tried 98, Worked great untill I realized that all my external gear had no driver support. I'm running XP and I'm thinking of going back to 2000, free up some more resources.

Comment

Originally posted by dingofarmer
                    Agreed, I got so desparate with my old setup that I tried 98, Worked great untill I realized that all my external gear had no driver support. I'm running XP and I'm thinking of going back to 2000, free up some more resources.
                    Yeh, go back to win2k, disable some services, and install the winxp boot files for faster bootup
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Will frodo player and a usb touchscreen via lilliput work with 2k?

Comment

Originally posted by jeeplaw
                        Will frodo player and a usb touchscreen via lilliput work with 2k?
                        Yes.
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                          Yeh, go back to win2k, disable some services, and install the winxp boot files for faster bootup
                          Thanks, I just don't see any reason to keep XP. 2K is the Shiznic!!!
                          I just haven't had the time lately with school and all. Never heard of the boot files swap thing, will have to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                          X