Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take?

Hi all,
    New here. Just became interested in the idea of a carputer. I have been reading the forums for about a week and noticed that most peoples sigs have a progress meter for their pc's. How long does it usually take to build a system? I know that money is always a huge factor, but that aside, what is the average time from start (buying the parts) to finish (working system with all or most of the bugs worked out)?
    I guess an easier question would be: How long did your system take to build?
    Thanks.
    Spent so far: $1,755
    Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
    CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
    Don't mess with Texas.
    It's not nice to pick on retards!

If most are like me, it is always a work in progress. As new things come out or features get added, I try to implement them. My sig is not updated. I have recently added XM and did the Lilliput indash conversion. It is a great hobby and if I ever get finished with it my wife will start finding other things for me to work on.

Back to your question though. Assuming all parts that you want to implement are on hand already, you could probably have a working system, bug free for the most part in a couple of days. It all really depends what you would like to have into your system. The more you add, the more things you have to make work together the way that you want them to.
    7" Lilli TS, Soyo K7VME, Semperon 2200, 160GB Maxtor, 512mb PC3200, Deluo GPS, Panasonic Slim DVD/CD RW, Linksys WMP545G , Opus 150w, XMDirect, XP Pro, FP, IG [XXXXXXXXX-] 90%
    ATVMS.com

Comment

goin 1 1/2 years on mine and still not finished, always adding something new to it.

agree with sfay93, basic install just a couple of days. friend of mine did his complete on a weekend.
      The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
      CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
      PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
      Memory:1G
      Drives:160gig
      WI-FI:Cingular
      GPS:IG2k9
      Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
      The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Mine took a couple of weekends to do but again, it depends on how you measure it. I spent a LOT of time researching, reading, and assembling the parts lists and sources. I pulled the trigger and bought everything in two waves about two weeks apart.

But that's me. I did some custom fabrication, etc. It can be done much quicker if you don't do fabrication, don't care about wires showing, etc.

Like most, my install focused on, for example, getting the screen in and leaving the interior of the car in shreds for awhile, then on the actual system install, then on cleaning up the details.

Since then, I've been adding tweaking, adjusting, removing, reinstaling, upgrading continuously.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Originally posted by john1701
          goin 1 1/2 years on mine and still not finished, always adding something new to it.

agree with sfay93, basic install just a couple of days. friend of mine did his complete on a weekend.
          I think most agree, it's a labor of love. If you are not into computers or mods to your car, it's probably not the hobby for you. Time is not a concern for most of us, we are just having fun working on our installs.

BTW, I have been working on mine for more than a year.
          It's the cake having/eating thing.

Comment

It took me about 3 months from planning to finish.
            Well, finish means operational.

Just like everybody else, I'm planning for next update.
            It's just impossible to runout of ideas.

Comment

For us to create one:about a week....but to build one for yourself:endless!

MasterCard please dont sue us!
              DICE Los Angeles
              ]

Comment

for me about six months planning and getting parts, about 4 days install (hardware) 2 weeks wire management, rest time adding stuff and/or updating/upgrading.
                The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
                CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
                PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
                Memory:1G
                Drives:160gig
                WI-FI:Cingular
                GPS:IG2k9
                Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
                The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

7 weeks from idea to current completion status.

I think it is better to plan properly for the first install and be happy with it.

Comment

Thanks for all the info!! Its helping me get a good idea of what it will take to get one going.
                    Spent so far: $1,755
                    Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
                    CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
                    Don't mess with Texas.
                    It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Took me 5 minutes to get a laptop working in my car back in 99. Spent the next 5 years improving it.
                      StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
                      Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
                      The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

Comment

For me
                        about 8 years now
                        tried and tested all aspects got all the t-shirts lol
                        Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
                        www.aimee.cc

Comment

It's NEVER done. As long as you're "into it", it's always a work in progress.
                          CarPC Status: 0%[••••••••••••---]100%

Smashed 4" Lilliput
                          66 Mhz Pentium Pro
                          400MB Ultra 33 IDE HD
                          EISA VGA card (16 colors)
                          Windows 3.1

Comment

Working...
                          X