Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need Help Choosing a Carputer Setup, here are my ideas...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Help Choosing a Carputer Setup, here are my ideas...

Ok, I want to use GPS and play MP3/DVD/CD. If I can get the sound quality at or better than my current alpine setup, then I will get rid of the head unit. I need help on deciding what computer to use for this. I first was looking into the tiny computers and the one I am leaning towards is this Xenarc one http://www.xenarc.com/product/mp-sc1.html

I like the size and the speed is fine for me. My concerns with this is that I would like to be able to bring it in the house to work on it when I need to. I think this one is made to be powered with the car battery. If there is a way to make this one (or any of the mini-itx computers) able to pulled out of the car and plugged right in inside the house, please let me know. Another concern is the audio quality. I cannot put in a new audio card with that case and I've thought about USB, but I'm not sure about quality and how well it would perform. I've heard of problems with it not recognizing the usb card out of hibernation/standby and not as good quality sound as onboard. If someone who knows audio quality knows of a good USB card that can support either 5.1 or 4 channel sound, let me know.

Another idea was I was looking on ebay for old desktops and I could get something like http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...143398119&rd=1
    I have put together desktops, so it would be easy for me to upgrade harddrives and CD/DVD drives and audio cards if I even needed to. Also, I could just do the inverter thing, then I could pull it right out of the car and work on it in the house. But with the desktop, I don't know how I would use a shutdown controller/power supply.

I am new at this and have never built a computer for a car before so if there is anything I am not seeing with either option, or if there are other options I could do, please tell me.

Thanks.

Steve

Currently
    Sanding and prepping center console for paint, waiting for more money

Have
    PC: PIII 866, 256 RAM, 200GB HD, Slim Slot Load, PCI 4-Port USB Card

Looking to Buy
    Opus 150, Xenarc 7", USB GPS, Powermate

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Currently
    Sanding and prepping center console for paint, waiting for more money

Have
    PC: PIII 866, 256 RAM, 200GB HD, Slim Slot Load, PCI 4-Port USB Card

Looking to Buy
    Opus 150, Xenarc 7", USB GPS, Powermate

Comment

why you don't build yourself??
      RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
      We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Working...
      X