How about a mentorship for CAR PCS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a mentorship for CAR PCS?

I am EXTREMLY new to this (the idea) but have been SEARCHING and SEARCHING for options, ideas, and concepts for my Car PC for just the last couple of months.

Now, my thing is since I am SOOOOO new to this and not sure of what is needed (computer parts to wires) and what goes where (specially wires).

Now, I know how to use a computer and I somewhat know how the computer goes into the car, at least for the most part but my problem is that what parts are needed and what wiring needs to go where...HOWEVER, I am extremly quick learner.

I was wondering if someone wants to me like a mentor to me - yeah I know it sounds cheesy but come on now, wouldn't it be cool to pass along one's knowledge to a young buck in the carputer game?

Personally, I'm wanting to install a touchscreen pc into my 95 Oldsmobile Aurora.
    If anyone is interested in taking me under their wing I would greatly appreciate it . If not.... thanks anyway.

Thanks again for checking this out....also if there are other newbies interested in the idea let me know...i think this could spread so more and more carpc's would be out on the road and there is a greater demand for them....

THANKS!
    ~ Nate
    PC progress:
    {++++++-----} About 60% done. Got the computer all hooked up - So far:
    160 GB hard drive, AMD 64 Processor, MSI K8T NEO Motherboard (w/ 5.1 channel audio)....next is custom case and touchscreen and LOTS of wires..

Update your profile info with your location information. It might help to get somebody who lives close to you to help you out.
    Installation Complete, pics soon

EPIA M10000 in Morex 3688 case
    FrodoPlayer
    CoPilot Live 8

Back from long hiatus, will be rebuilding soon

Comment

Ditto. Update your profile information.

I dont mind anwsering questions just PM me.
      Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
      Via EPIA MII
      512MB RAM
      OEM GPS (embedded)
      nLite WinXP pro on
      1GB Extreme III CF card
      Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
      Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

He's from Dayton Ohio according to what he posted in another thread.

Comment

It would be cool to meet up with other people in my neck of the woods but thats not my main concern - its the whole planning and more importantly understanding of installing a CARPC...
          Thanks for the replies.
          PC progress:
          160 GB hard drive, AMD 64 Processor, MSI K8T NEO Motherboard (w/ 5.1 channel audio)....next is custom case and touchscreen and LOTS of wires..

Comment

Vizion, you're luckier than you think.

Being even near the Dayton area he's got access to the Mendelson's Store!!
            This place is a former military manufacturing plant full of stuff! The place is so big one could get lost for hours and not even know it.

I got to visit once a while back and its like the holy grail of do-it-yourself techno projects.

if I ever get to go back it'll be one of the first places I visit...
            Mind Scream out

Comment

It is huge...they were talking awhile back about expansion. I know they just went to selling on the internet.
              I actually work like 3 minutes (if that) from there.
              PC progress:

Comment

Is there a web site for this place?

Peace,

Rafster
                Post # 3000

Comment

Yep

http://www.mendelsons.com/

also http://www.meci.com/

I found a 12v B&W 6" VGA tube monitor there... was gonna use it in my car for a while, until I got lucky and got a LCD
                  Mind Scream out

Comment

but going there beats the website though...
                    PC progress:

Comment

Build it at home. and start with basics.

Firstly you need a PC, if you don't know how to build one then buy a cheap old one, or even better....learn.

After that comes power - You'll have to decide between an inverter or a DC-DC power. My advice would be to save yourself a load of hassle and buy an OPUS.

How are you going to operate and interface. Best way is with a touchscreen VGA screen. Are you able to fit one properly, if not get an in-dash one, or put up with having it stuck on the dashboard.

Next decide how you want to hook the audio up. If you have a headunit with a line-in option then this is by far and away the easist and best option. Or if not you may want to consider an amp which connects directly to the speakers, or an FM modulator.

Next, what else are you going to have eg. GPS functions, phone control, DVD players etc. Fidn out what hardware you need. Best to decide this before you spec your PC.

Next software, play about download a few, get used to the functionality and then make a choice. Delete everything else and set it up.

And this just about covers it. Information for all of this is plentiful on the forums, sometimes a little hard to find, but you best bet is to try the newbie forum and read the stickies.

If you get stuck or don't know, then ask, 95% of the more experienced people on this forum will help you out, just be polite and give as much information as possible concerning you problem, and post in the Newbie Forum. If you get muppets telling you to search, f**k 'em. That is the great thing about forums, that what I didn't know 3 months ago I can pass down to someone who doesn't know now.

I'm quite happy to answer PM messages with specific questions.

Also a few general tips---

Build it at home, don't install until you have it working how you want it.

Don't cut corners, make sure wires are properly soldered etc. Items are properly installed, no dangling wires or botched jobs.

Don't scrimp on essential items such as power supplies etc. You'll only end up buying them twice.

Have fun.

Matt

Comment

Do what I did a while back. Spend as less as possible. A P3 system will handle everything carpc can do.
                        - Dig from your garage/closet/shell for the "yesterday" parts or buy from 2nd hand.
                        - Install/config the system in house to your like it will be in the car as Matthew230 said.

Now how are you going to power the system in the car.
                        - DC-DC: Buy yourself an OPUS 150 because there is always room for expansion later OR DIY a Sproggy if you have some soldering skill.
                        - DC-AC-DC: Aka Inverter with AC PSU: This solution is cheap and available everywhere.

How to get power to the DC-DC PSU or Inverter?
                        - Buy yourself an amp installation kit from any audio shop. Get 8GA at least. Bigger the wire the better but harder to run from the battery to where the PC going to be.
                        - find a way to run that big cable from the batter to the PC location. Make sure put a fuse as close to the battery as possible.

Control the PC?
                        Mouse/touchpad/touch screen, keyboard. IR remote if you want but that can come later.

Display?
                        Well, get any VGA capable/enable monitor. Don't get those that only have S-video input cuz those are not good. Search to find out why.

Good luck and have fun
                        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Working...
                        X