No Need to go Overboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Need to go Overboard

Hey I am new to this carputer thing and after reading a good amount of posts I am a bit confused on what I need to feed my desires without going overboard. All I really need is dvd and cd playback....but other nice things would be divx, gps, maybe other misc. applications so i will have windows xp...

after looking at lots of posts i thought i would need to buy all the components (motherboard, power supply, etc.) and put them into a box/case, but i have a dell latitude ls like 10" laptop that i am buying an external dvd drive for so i was thinking, can i just put that under my seat and wire it to a xenarc or lilliput and be good to go?

thanks so much, i tried to search and find my specs but i couldnt find anything dead on

btw, not like it matters tooo much but i have an 04 subaru outback sport, similar to a wrx for people who dont know obs

if all you need is DVD and CD playback why dont u just go buy a car DVD/CD player?
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

well, i guess thats sort of what im debating

i know i want to put an indash screen...

but i guess im debating several options

1. dvd/cd player (head unit maybe)
      2. xbox or ps2 (dvd/cd capability)
      3. full-on carputer
      4. xbox or ps2, and gps receiver with ability to change source on my screen from game system to gps navigation.

i want the best option with money as a main issue.

also unsure whether to go with lilliput, xenarc, or something else

Comment

carputers are l33ter, more fun, and have more functionability

Comment

...yeah, that's what they all say. You'll see. Soon the government will be asking if they can borrow your car for its computing power.

The great thing about pc's are their versatility...and upgradability...and all sorts of other ilities. ...Costability?
          1999 Plymouth Voyager (That's right, big-pimpin' in a minivan.)
          PC built into console
          worklog with pics: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46359

Some of my music: http://www.myspace.com/markquestion

Comment

so since i already have a working laptop with dvd drive and all, can i expect to only pay the price of the screen plus maybe a couple bucks for wires and junk? or is there something i am missing?

Comment

Get a screen, and a way to turn the laptop on from the driver seat to where you put the laptop. You are good to go. But remember, laptop need power to run too. Either car adapter for laptop or Inverter.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Just get a 12V powersupply - and ull be sussed!

Prob less things to go wrong with that as compared to an atx mobo.
                92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                Morex 80W
                120G External HDD
                16x2 Charater Display
                Creative IR Remote
                VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                7.2Ah SLA Tank
                PCMCIA 802.11b
                256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment

Originally posted by MatrixPC
                  Get a screen, and a way to turn the laptop on from the driver seat to where you put the laptop. You are good to go. But remember, laptop need power to run too. Either car adapter for laptop or Inverter.
                  What do i need to get/do to wire a button or something that will remotely turn off/on my laptop. i dont have a problem taking my car apart to run the wires, but like, what would i plug in or do to my laptop to wire a remote power switch.

Originally posted by nzKAOSnz
                  Just get a 12V powersupply - and ull be sussed!

Prob less things to go wrong with that as compared to an atx mobo.
                  what do i need th power supply for? can't i just like run power to my battery or something? sorry im a newb when it comes to electronics stuff for the most part.

Comment

(For a laptop) - if you want more than 3hrs (or hwever lng the battery lasts) between recharges- (if you were using the laptops battery) - your gunna need to power it somehow. The laptop needs its 19V or whatever the powerpack puts out.
                    You can get cigarette lighter power packs for a laptop. Get one of those and your sweet.
                    92 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Epia MII12000 :D
                    Morex 80W
                    120G External HDD
                    16x2 Charater Display
                    Creative IR Remote
                    VIA Sereniti 2000 Mini ITX Case
                    7.2Ah SLA Tank
                    PCMCIA 802.11b
                    256DDR Ram

Diamonds are for girls- wise men follow the stars

Comment