Many Questions, seeking input ;)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Questions, seeking input ;)

First off let me say this is my first post(in case you missed my post count over there) and its my first carPC. I have worked in IT for the past 5 years so i have a very good understanding of most things PC. Right now i drive a messed up P.O.S 91 Isuzu Trooper, but i am going to get a 95 4Runner. Now i have done quite a bit of reading over the past week or two. I started out wanting to put a car pc in based on the xbox running linux, but a friend told me about the ITX stuff and even as much as i dispise spending lots of money on a in car pc, thats the way i am gonna go. So now to the questions

1. I am looking at the EPIA-MII and am wondering if you can locate the PCMCIA/CF module elsewhere? IE. Can i make 2 custom LONG ribbon cables and move the board somewhere else? has anybody even tried?

2. how can i locate the DVD drive in another location than my pc, the place i want to mount it goes WAY past the IDE distance limits. So i am kinda at a loss for how to do that.

3. What would you guys recomend, the 7" or 8" touch Screens??

4. What front end software is the best?

5. What is the best ODBII interface/software out there?

And other than that, and tips/tricks or must haves for a good in car pc?

Thanks

2. how can i locate the DVD drive in another location than my pc, the place i want to mount it goes WAY past the IDE distance limits. So i am kinda at a loss for how to do that.
    2 Ans. First, there have been select users who have extended the ide cable beyond its limits, like 10 feet and still had drives working.
    A more convenient sol'n would be to go USB. You will need to put a regulated power supply wherever you plan on placing your drive. And then u get an USB-to-IDE converter to do the job of connecting your drive.

3. What would you guys recomend, the 7" or 8" touch Screens??
    I use 7". Seems like 8" is the big thing now and in a future setup, I'd also probably go 8". not much difference in size except a larger image. Guess it comes down to which screens fits your setup.

4. What front end software is the best?
    Objections. I'm a big fan of MediaCar and am really liking the growing up Multimedia Car. Frodoplayer is another really popular unit. Those are prolly 3 good ones to start from. But heck, try them all, what one likes may not be what you like.

For the rest, any comment I add just won't be helpfull.
    Mark

Car'Puter Project
    - Xenarc 700TSV
    - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
    - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
    - M2-ATX
    - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
    - Garmin 15H GPS
    - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Working...
    X