Multiple Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Questions

First post, don't be mean. I plan on sticking an old computer whole into the truck of my car.

1.) I'm looking to buy an LCD screen from best buy cheap (oxymoron, right?). Any suggestions?

2.) How do I power the LCD? I've never seen one of these other than on Pimp My Ride (which sucks bc they dont show you how they do what they do) and how do I connect it to the computer in the back if It only accepts RCA jacks?

3.) If I wanted to stick a dvd or cd drive up front, how can I connect it to the computer? Get a really long IDE cable or is that inefficent? I'm thinking perhaps an external drive would do....

4.) If ya stick enough fans on the computer, is the trunk a fair spot to keep the computer during summer times/ temps?

TIA
    Car Mods
    -no car mods

Look at this thread. It should answer all of your questions.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16913
    MyMedia Website

Comment

I checked it over before, moreso this time and it did answer some, but I still have the question:

Has anyone gotten any good deals lately from Best Buy on LCD's?, and
      Car Mods
      -no car mods

Comment

Originally posted by eag182
        First post, don't be mean. I plan on sticking an old computer whole into the truck of my car.
        Can't help it. It's my nature.

1.) I'm looking to buy an LCD screen from best buy cheap (oxymoron, right?). Any suggestions?
        Anything you get form Best Buy will be composite only. That means you need a TV-oput from your computer to get a signal.
        I suggest something with a VGA connection which is designed for computer video and will result in superior image quality.

2.) How do I power the LCD? I've never seen one of these other than on Pimp My Ride (which sucks bc they dont show you how they do what they do) and how do I connect it to the computer in the back if It only accepts RCA jacks?
        See #1 above.
        There's several options for power, depending on what you get as far as a screen.

Oh, and PMY sucks ***.

3.) If I wanted to stick a dvd or cd drive up front, how can I connect it to the computer? Get a really long IDE cable or is that inefficent? I'm thinking perhaps an external drive would do....
        The maximum spec for IDE cables is 18 inches. You may be able to cobble together a longer cable and get it working. Someone here is using a 15 foot IDE cable successfully. YMMV.
        Most people go with USB2.0 for best results.

4.) If ya stick enough fans on the computer, is the trunk a fair spot to keep the computer during summer times/ temps?
        Sure.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You will not be able to get a LCD from best buy in the size range that you would want to use in your car....that is unless you plan on mounting a 15" screen on your dash.....and god, I hope that you aren't planning on doing that....

otherwise, why the stick on best buy? even at cost you can find stuff cheaper online....believe me....I worked there for a time......unfortunately....
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

It has to be Best Buy....I have $300 gift certificate to there and there only. Other than that, I have about $12 in my wallet, so you can understand my situation. I went to BB and the cheapest thing they had was a 5" audiovox for $180 .

I see many other lcds for <150 online, so I'm hoping BB will carry a cheaper one soon.
            Car Mods
            -no car mods

Comment

Sell your gift certificate on ebay for 285 and buy a xenarc off of ebay. Best buy is overpriced crap.
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

If you get one with a composite video input you will not be likely to be happy at all with the screen and will then end up being another one. Save yourself the hassle and buy the right one first. I must warn you though, carefull of what you are getting into, unless you have every other component, cable, and material, 300 dollars is not a very big budget of this type of project. I have spent about a 1000 already and it is still not done. It can be done cheaper, but 300, thats not alot at all.

search xenarc and lilliput in the forums should give you a good idea of what to look for in a screen, there are non touch screen versions that are cheaper.

Hope this helps
                My Install

Software:
                CFiG v1
                iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

doesn't matter if you have a $300 to best buy and only $12 in your wallet RIGHT NOW.....that doesn't mean that you can't just wait, save the money, and do it right....

best buy isn't going to have anything that will work correctly for you....I promise....

seriously dood....to complain about a crappy screen costing too much....maybe you are into the wrong hobby??

I'm not trying to scare you off, I'm just trying to get you to see how it really is...
                  Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I see people here with the ****tiest of cars which tells me one thing - they arent rich either. I was looking for one so cheap because someone here had a great setup with an lcd they got for 100$. I already have an inverter and im making a computer for this project out of an old one. I never went on a rant about this mp3car biz being too expensive. Im trying to be optimistic here.
                    Car Mods
                    -no car mods

Comment

well...I just sold an old 700TSV for $145 shipped.....you might try looking for a used screen on here....maybe someone would give it to you in trade for part of your best buy gift card?

worth a try??

heck, I have a m10000 board I'd be willing to sell you in trade for some of the best buy gift card....
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

Now were talking, Red

But why did you sell what appears to be a $400 tv for 145? Dinged up?

I'll look into the used biz..youre right, I dont think I want to take the composite path...
                        Car Mods
                        -no car mods

Comment

dont waste the 300 bucks at best buy on your screen. You will regret it. If you cant sell the card and must buy at best buy, get something else other than a screen and keep saving up for a vga lcd.
                          01101100 01101001 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100100 01011111 01110011
                          01101101 01101111 01101011 01100101

beer replenishment fund
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93
                          mp3car live search

i have joost invites, just hit me up for one.

Comment

It was the old model and since I had molded it into my dash it didn't have the front casing....
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                            X