Can you get 5.1 Sound w/o a HU?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you get 5.1 Sound w/o a HU?

This has probably been talked about elswhere but I can't find it in a search. I know someone said that you can but you need a Surround Sound Processor that hooks up to the amp but that's pretty expensive. Is there any other way? Thank you.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32430
    PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
    GammaControl v2.4
    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

more specific:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...78&postcount=2

it's very possible, but I don't think you will have all of the adjustability as one of the more expensive processors....but you have to ask yourself how much adjustability you want....
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I have a Phoenix Gold mobile theater Octane 5.1 amp. It has optical inputs and on screen programming, which can use the same screen as your computer setup. It runs about $350.00

Comment

Awesome. I have been looking for a amp that does digital decoding for a month. How have you connected the audio? I was looking to do a digital output modification to my XM Direct and use the spdif output on my VIA MII. Do I need or should I also use a Audigy 2 NX?
          '99 F-350 Crew 7.3L~'02 F-350 Crew 7.3L~ '04 Dakota SLT+ 4.7L
          MII12000opus120~MII12000opus120~MII10000opus150
          NA~Senao dual 7.4 ant~Orinoco Gold
          Pioneer~Pioneer~PG Octane-R R5.1MT
          Xenarc, Rikaline6010, Garmin OEM16 HVS, CoPilot10

Comment

Itís a good amp. All the controls are on-screen (uses composite video) and a monitor is required to setup the amp. You use the IR remote control to adjust the settings.

I have the MII as well with an XMPCR with optical output. I have to use an external soundcard (Audigy2 NX) because the MII doesnít have any SPDIF inputs. I havenít tried to use the MIIís SPDIF output. I guess it would simplify the setup but then I would have the use analog outputs from my XMPCR.

All of my audio interconnects are 100% optical. The amp also supports SPIDIF via coax (as well as optical).

My amp has been in the shop with Phoenix Gold since November for warranty work. The subwoofer outputs werenít working they decided they would have to scrap it and send me a new one, but they will be out of stock until February. It sucks and Iíve been riding around with a battery operated boom box for a few weeks now.

Comment

What if you connect the computer to the Adapter with USB? Would you get 5.1?

Comment

So if you used the phoenix amp with integrated 5.1 processor and you also have an audigy 2 that also processes 5.1, will there be any conflicts? or will it just be redundant?

Comment

I've never been able to make the 5.1 work. I was trying to have a crazy startup 5.1 startup sound. Something about none of the sound cards can encode 5.1, all they can do it pass it from another source like a DVV play. My friend was tried to explain why it won't but I just gave up and stuck with 2 channels optical.

Comment

Doesn't the nForce encode in 5.1?
                    GammaControl v2.4
                    SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

what you could also do is have 3 amps. one for front left and right speaker/channel, one for back front right and left speaker/channel and one amp for the subwoofer. this is what i'm going to be doing for my sound system. this set up is a 4.1 sound set up which i would use 5.1 but i'm not going to be using the front channel so it doesn't matter.
                      2008 Civic... Sound system... then carputer install...
                      WORK IN PROGRESS

If you look at my avatar closely, you can see a chick with two big knockers....

Comment

nForce APU
                        And read more about it here
                        GammaControl v2.4
                        SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Working...
                        X