Free view cards yes/no???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free view cards yes/no???

Ive just found a few of these online and have read a few reviews and they seem to work great but i havent seen any reviews when the PC is moving i.e. in a car.

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/h650-aver...771-review.htm

Has anyone had any experiance of these or reckon the will or wont work.

Thanks

Ken

[Anyone have general opinions about this sort of product in the UK?]
    ------
    Prepping for Trax in september
    Re-Building the whole CarPC to upgrade all the software
    Whole new boot build and moulding my screen into the dash...Again

You still need a standard TV aerial to run into the back of the card, of course, as the signal travels to you through the airwaves, rather than from a satellite.
    If you look at the tv aerials on the houses on your street, you will notice that they all point in the same direction - this suggests that the orientation of the aerial is critical for optimum reception, whereas a satellite receiver (like a gps mouse) simply needs to see the sky.

It's my guess that the reception in a moving car will be intermittent but I'd love to be proved wrong as it's in theory a great idea.

Good luck
    A calm approach in a troubled world...
    http://www.inside-guide.co.uk/CarPC

CONSOLE_RR Project in progress...
    DC UK Forum

Comment

i think u'll find that is satellite dishes that need to be in a certain direction wheres as an tv ariel doesnt need to be in a certain direction

i may be wrong but all the sky dishes in my street point in the same direction

Comment

well it looks like its worth a try then.

When ive finished building my PC looks like ive got another add on. If it doesnt work i can always slap it in my home PC.

Cheers

Ken
        ------

Comment

TV aerials that you have on your house DO need to point directly at the TV Transmitter due to their design.

If you had an aerial on your car, you would need to have one that could receive signals from any direction, just like a standard radio aerial.

Not sure how good the reception would be though.

: Jetway J7F2 1.5Ghz Mainboard : Cubid 3688 : CarNetix CNX-P1260 :
          : Netgear 802.11g PCMCIA : 2 x LinITX 7" Screens :
          : BU353 USB GPS Mouse : Panasonic UJ845 DVDRW :

Comment

i didnt think that tv areials have to point in a certain direction(my tv areial is potining in a random direction) but it still works

Comment

TV aerials work best when they point in the direction that the transmission comes from, however then can pick up a weaker signal if not pointing directly at it. It all depends on how strong the signal is, and if there are any signals bouncing off buildings.

Satellite signals are much weaker and the dishes need to be pointed almost exactly at the satellite.

Comment

Originally posted by lee
                i think u'll find that is satellite dishes that need to be in a certain direction wheres as an tv ariel doesnt need to be in a certain direction

i may be wrong but all the sky dishes in my street point in the same direction

MC STOO was alooding to GPS and maybe XM/SIRIUS that only need to "see" the sky. The receiver for LOWBAND stuff is different than the HIGHBAND for TV but this changes it all! for about $2295.00 that is.

I've already spotted one around here.

Comment

@ Dudes99

My god, that thing is huge. I cant see many people doing that upgrade with that price and how obvious it is to the public.
                  sounds cool though!
                  ------

Comment

satellite dishes are more critical in their direciton than aerials, eg the skydigital satellite is at 28.3 degrees east and if ur not there exactly u get nothing-0blue scren. But aerials are different if ur near to the dransmitter as far as direction goes ull get fuzz and the colser u get the stronger the signal gets, but like i said with satellite its all or nothing

Comment

satellite dishes are more critical in their direciton than aerials, eg the skydigital satellite is at 28.2 degrees east and if ur not there exactly u get nothing-0blue scren. But aerials are different if ur near to the dransmitter as far as direction goes ull get fuzz and the colser u get the stronger the signal gets, but like i said with satellite its all or nothing[/QUOTE]

Comment

House / Flat / Building TV aerials are made up of multiple elements that are designed to be directional, slight mis-alignment of an aerial recieving analouge transmissions can cause ghosting and poor qaulity images, this rule also applies the more elements the better the gain (reception). satellites are worse, highly critical allignment must be to the 0.0 degree for the best picture as said above the signal is very weak and must be correctly amplified by the dish's parabolic design.
                        As for Digital TV in the car i have also put some thought into this, there are tv reception aerials designed for car use i belive that one designed for analouge terrestrial would also suffice for digital transmission as for signal strengh of the transmissions im not sure if digital are as strong or vice versa ive seen £2000 Kenwoood TV tuners in the car that really dont give any thing half decent even when the car is stationary. ive considered TV amplifiers as well to improve the level of gain, look on ebay at the tv aerials for car tv tuners that are fitted to the top of front windscreen (they look like alarm aerials) normally one ot two ridged wires and a box) prehaps a 2nd aerial could also be fitted to the rear window and joined together to improve reception. as you may know with digital tv the signal will not fuzz it will just simply cut out. if you can find enough technical information on different PC based Digitak TV recievers look mainly at the signal gain as a basis for deciding on what card / box to buy, theres a few different models avaliable, USB ones PCI ones etc
                        Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine
                        www.aimee.cc

Comment

a mate has a ariel on top his camper van, cost 35 quid from the local caravan shop. it has a 12 connection for an internal booster and a piece of coax coming out. it is a round thing about the size of a dinner plate and about 2 inch deep. inside is a ring of aluminium which will pick up a sig from any direction and i belive the electrics inside lock to the strongest direction and block the others out. it works perfect when stopped but he has never tried it moving and the van is now in storage for the winter. thought about hiding one of these under the headlining so we covered his with 4 layers of tinfoil and it still worked just the same! also works fine with a freeview box. now all i need is a usb freeview tuner and some way to interface it to my frontend software to use it as a radio also. any ideas?
                          PB 2.0Ghz, 20GB, 512mb, XPpro. 300GB Usb HDD, Griffin pwrmate, m-audio audiophile fw. BU-353 gps. 2x100w sony amps, 1x150w JBL sub amp, MBQuart front components, 6x9 rear, 10" sub. Audiocontrol epcienter, esp2, 3xs. Clifford G5, Finished, fitted, problems

Comment

Working...
                          X