I could use some help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could use some help.

okay I really have been trying to figure everything out by myself but I cant do it. I want to put a "truck"puter in my 91 s-10,

1. I have zero space, I did a traditional body drop so I lost 3.5 inches of head room, plus it is a standard cab, I had already planned to put my two subs between the seat since there is no room behind the seats, so can I fit everything behind the dash? I am willing to gut my glove box and use it to hold all the stuff.

2. I looked around on here and I found that the LinITX seems to be the best deal as far as touch screen moniters go, is this true? and where could I get one, with the conversion they're like 260-280 right?
    3. The Opus seems to be good way to power my system, do I need the 150 or 90?

4. Im kinda computer retarded, but Im learning, but what else do I need as far as mother board and stuff like that. I would like to have 20 or so gb of storage, and a sound card that I could run my subs and speakers out of, I do not intend to use a head unit. I found a thread on here that said to just run rca's out of the sound card to amp then to the speakers.

5.features I would like to have is mp3, CD, dvd, thats it for now I would like add GPS, and internet

oh and of course I want to do it as cheap as I can and still have it reliable
    Sorry Im such a Noob

and anybody doesnt know what body drop is, it is when you lower the body over the frame, to do this the way I did you must cut the floor out raise it a few inches then set it back on the frame so all you are doing is lowering the body around the floor of the truck.
    Free Ipods really works sign up

Originally posted by lt250
    2. I looked around on here and I found that the LinITX seems to be the best deal as far as touch screen moniters go, is this true? and where could I get one, with the conversion they're like 260-280 right?
    It looks like a decent deal. 'The best'? That I couldn't say.

3. The Opus seems to be good way to power my system, do I need the 150 or 90?
    Depends on what your system specs are and what accessories your adding on.

4. Im kinda computer retarded, but Im learning, but what else do I need as far as mother board and stuff like that. I would like to have 20 or so gb of storage, and a sound card that I could run my subs and speakers out of, I do not intend to use a head unit. I found a thread on here that said to just run rca's out of the sound card to amp then to the speakers.
    That explains why you asked #3...
    Yes, you can get a cable to connect the 1/8th" headphone jack to RCAs. most sound cards don't have RCA-out.

As an aside, if you're 'computer retarded', you're really going to have a rough go of this.

5.features I would like to have is mp3, CD, dvd, thats it for now I would like add GPS, and internet
    I'm waiting for a question....
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I know this will be tough but its why Im postig if I knew everything I would be done already. I just keep reading threads, learning what I can. so for the Opus what can I runb on the 90 and how many add ons can I run on it before I need to go to the 150.

I shouldnt say retarded I just never bothered to learn about computers before, in high school it wasnt cool, talk about it biting me in the @ss now.

for number five I meant to say how hard is it to add those things later. If I put my components behind the dash, are they just software I can load, or do I need to plug or install something into the actual computer, minus the phone line or how ever the computer connects to the cell phone.

any answers on space I measured it and I have a 11x5x7 inch area to put everything in, but Im willing to cut the glove box up to make more room I can fiberglass it back together

Comment

mp3:assuming you have a sound card, you just need mp3 playing software.

video: video software.

CD: you need a CD ROM drive.

DVD: need a DVD drive, all of which also do CDs.

GPS:to my knowledge you need software and a device that plugs into the USB port.

internet: if you're going cellphone, you need a USB cable for the cellphone, I think. if you're going wifi, you need a wifi card or a USB wifi stick thingamajigger.
        softmodded xbox, PSOne screen, inverter. simple and effective. Combine with PDA and head unit with aux input, and we're having a wonderful time.

Comment

would it be cheaper to try to buy a used laptop and add what I want or to build one the way I want it

Comment

looking at your wants....depends on the laptop. if you get one new enough to have a DVD drive, laptop would probably be cheaper.

EDIT:Oh, and I just remembered. look into a program called daemon tools. it creates virtual CD drives that you can insert ISOs into(ISO being a bit for bit copy of a CD ROM.), and use that to play games and the like. I use it to keep two or three games ready to go at all times.
            softmodded xbox, PSOne screen, inverter. simple and effective. Combine with PDA and head unit with aux input, and we're having a wonderful time.

Comment

DaemonTools = Crap
              www.alcoholsoft.com
              Quick! To the Popemobile!

Comment

daemon tools=free and awesome for it's purpose. alcohol 120%, last time I checked, was NOT free.

Comment

You might be better off with just getting a DVD deck; it'll play audio CDs, and MP3s off CDR/W (and maybe DVD-R as well). Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38649
                  For MP3 only, there's the Rockford Omnifi DMP1 hard-drive based car MP3 player. Here's one on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...sPageName=WD1V
                  It'd be tricky to put together a car computer for MP3 only for that price if you had to buy off-the-shelf stuff (like the display, power supply...).

Comment

yeah, but then you've got to swap every time. 7 gigs can be pumped in hella quick if you're using firewire or it's an internal hard drive.

Comment

Working...
                    X