Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any of you regret installing the carputer??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any of you regret installing the carputer??

i;m about ready to embark on this great journey. bought the computer(smallest pc in the world) mounted in the trunk, bought ITPS, DC-DC converter and the monitor is on its way. i know its alittle late to be having seconds thoughs btu since everything is in the box nothing is really set in stone. i just wanted to get some opinions if you had to do it all over again would you??
    need help putting up my carputer!!!! help me out guys and please be kind to the newbiee

man...NEVER! I cant live wihtout it...i cant...matter of fact the reason i started it the car computer company is because I am addicted to this. in Turn addicted to mp3car.com
    you will not regret it.... after you figure out all the glitches...if u are going to have any
    DICE Los Angeles
    ]

Comment

Bloody oath, there's just something mystical that attracts me to put a computer in my car ...

... I'd do it again and again and again.
      Caputer Mk. II
      '02 VX Holden Commodore Series II Executive
      MII12000, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD (5400rpm), 16X DVD, TS200V
      Morex 60W DC-DC, Custom S/SDC
      OS/Software: Developing...

Comment

the only thing that bothers me is that i didnt go with two batteries or an inverter. Also didnt go with opus (yet)
        I GIVE FREE HUGS!
        Buy Sell or Trade
        If my pm box is full, please feel free to call me any time. 440-328-3382
        Thank you
        Forex
        Rate Mp3car @ FXroot.com

Comment

yeah opus is a life saver
          DICE Los Angeles
          ]

Comment

well, I wish I would have spent a few more bucks in a few areas... the carPC seems to really fit the bill for everyone... it can do just about anything you want it to, and without much stuggle... games, music, general entertainment... navigation... car control, engine diagnostics, wifi, bluetooth, internet... where does it stop...

if you want the easy route, then just skip this forum all together... if you want to have a powerhouse on wheels then you are headed in the right direction already... my only recommendation is to not skimp... I wish I had a few more MHz and I wish I could get it to boot in cold (<20 deg F) weather... but these solutions will come in time...
            EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

I think the only thing you may regret is the ITPS
              get an opus if you have any power problems andthere you go
              Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

The only thing I regret is placing the PC under my passenger seat instead of in the trunk. It's soooo inconveinent to remove and unhook all the cords, etc. In the trunk it would be so much easier.to plug and unplug, plus you don't have to go under the carpet and all that hassle.
                '99 Accord LX
                -------------
                Pics of CarPC Setup

Comment

I am in the same position as you and am currently in the process of installing my recently aquired (yesterday) carputer.

However, the unit I am replacing is an EMPEG unit http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op...gories=Mk.+Two which is already an custom designed embedded MP3 computer running Linux and so the replacement to a fully blown carputer will not offer quite as many benefits compared to people who ore upgrading from a standard head unit.

My concerns of a carputer compared to the EMPEG were:
                  1: The audio signal noise floor from the integrated VIA audio chipset as the Epia and any closely mounted PSU boards etc are not explicitly designed for Hi-Fi audio.
                  2: The increasing digital quantization noise when running at low volumes and high secondary amplification.
                  3: The lack of a fast volume control.

Concerns 1 and 2 can only really be proven / disproved when I install the kit in the car in the next couple of days and have a listen. There do however appear to be many demanding users on this forum and I haven't heard of any major problems so I am quietly confident.
                  Concern 3 will hopefully be solved by using the excellent mouse disassembly / shaft encoder solution suggested by Tony G on this forum.

All in all though I think the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. And even if they don't, who wants to be the same as everyone else anyway.
                  I will let you know my personal impressions in the next couple of days.
                  Project F.T.P.C.

Comment

In the past few days I bought $500 worth of my first carpc's parts, and I am hardly done. Thats the only thing I'm regretting. But you gotta pay to play.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/seanklsc

Comment

Ive got about $2500 into mine. (Including my 15" screen and 8" touch screen) I didn't anticipate all the little things that really added up quickly. But in the end it's worth it.
                      2.4 celeron
                      150 watt OPUS
                      micro atx
                      xp pro
                      tv/radio tuner card
                      audigy
                      Dual monitor Radeon
                      802.11G Mimo
                      xm pcr
                      dvd
                      gps
                      8" Lilliput touch screen
                      IGuidance
                      dual optimas
                      battery isolator
                      15" screen
                      My Truck

Comment

Regarding Vacheron's concerns about volume control: why not use an analog volume control potentiometer?
                        If routing the audio cables to a convenient location is a problem, there are motorized volume controls which can be operated remotely with something like a two-pole, center-off, momentary toggle or rocker switch. (Flip or rock the switch up for volume up, down for volume down) http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?hand..._pcodeid=03106

On-topic: I don't have a carputer in my truck yet, but I can't see why I'd regret it. Just MP3 playback with an alphanumeric display will be cool.

Comment

the Griffin Powermate USB rotary know is small, well built and will do more than just volume... I ended up going with a head unit, but I picked up a brand new powermate for $30 (delivered) from the magical world of ebay... you can click, double click, rotate left/right and rotate left/right while pushing in... each command is defineable... I emailed the company a year or two ago to find out if more than one could be run at a time, that way you could have even more controls... I would love to see a front end that emulated the BMW iDrive - no touchscreen necessary, just run from the rotary - now that would be sweet...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/
                          EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

No regrets.
                            I've installed my CarPC into my new car from my old one.
                            I helped a friend install one.

You will meet some cool people here also.
                            SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
                            GPSing - Digital Speedo
                            Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
                            Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

at first i was like uhh let me rethinkthis till today my power switch died and now it let me know how good it felt not to ever have to burn cds ever again or have to worry about getting lost. now i really know that i love it alot. so no regrets here.
                              ..and dont back out just because u think its too crazi , i hate pussies
                              -outdidya

epia m1000,256mb ddr,7"lilli,120gb hdd, Ati remote wonder,400watt inverter,350psu all under xp pro-installed

Comment

Working...
                              X