hi guys, need to draw from your knowledge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi guys, need to draw from your knowledge

hi guys, newbie here, been lurking about for a few days reading some info on the essentials for getting setup, anyway i have a laptop, its an acer travelmate 200t

its got: celeron 550mhz
    128mb ram
    5gb hd
    ati rage card with vga out
    2 usb ports
    cdrom
    2 pcmcia slots
    full XP PRO install

now the thing is i would like to add a DVD rom, but are all laptop dvd roms compatible/standard fitment like desktop ones? or do i need to look around for a specific one?(was thinking of buying one 2nd hand/cheap off ebay)

also, will i need to wire a switch up to turn the computer on when i first get in the car? or will resuming the power from the car adaptor bring the pc on?

If you can find one that fits your laptop, go with it, unless you want it to be remotely mounted near you. You can probably find a USB DVD-ROM to meet your needs too.

You will probably need to wire a switch into the laptop to turn it back on. Unless your BIOS handles power-on-resume. Most that I've worked on, don't however.
    2000 Subaru OBS

Dell P3 @ 900 Mhz
    7" Lilliput TS w/DigitalWW in-dash mount
    80GB External HD

I am Zero Bitrate....

Comment

Originally posted by kiltjim
      If you can find one that fits your laptop, go with it, unless you want it to be remotely mounted near you. You can probably find a USB DVD-ROM to meet your needs too.
      thats kinda the question i was wondering, are all the dvd roms standard fitment?? or do i need to find one thats compatible? im not bothered about it being located near me, just want it to fit in the laptop

Comment

Originally posted by weegaz22
        thats kinda the question i was wondering, are all the dvd roms standard fitment?? or do i need to find one thats compatible? im not bothered about it being located near me, just want it to fit in the laptop
        You have to find one that fits your laptop. There are different connections that laptp manufacturers use.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
          You have to find one that fits your laptop. There are different connections that laptp manufacturers use.

cool, thats the info i needed to know, the system i am planning to run will run with a lilliput touch screen, with the option for dvd video and mp3 play back through the headunit to the speakers

what would you guys do if this was your system? as in regards to operating system and hardware?

Comment

Working...
          X