if you had the room......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you had the room......

I have been doing extensive research on building my car computer.....blah. blah. blah... (sorry for being a typical newbie)

my question is:

I have the room to install a micro-atx cpu in the truck. The majority on this site seems they would have gone this way if they had the room. which direction should I go? AMD or P4? Over the years I have had previous expirence with AMD on the desktop and have had nothing but good luck, but I have read that it draws more power than P4. I want to run a 250g hd, audio card, 2 dvd/cd drives, usb hub, wireless ethernet, tv tuner, xm... basically a full setup..... can the opus 150w power supply support this? I have seen people underclocking their AMD's why? I must have a fast and responsive setup in the truck, these mini itx just o not seem like they will cut it for my usage. What are your recommendations. as I would like to start ordering my parts soon. Thanks fellas!

150w wont power that, youd have to go the invertor route....

but why do you need such a powerful setup just to play Music and watch a few movies from time to time?

Comment

Underclocking reduces heat (which comes in handy in cramped spaces with limited airflow). I ran my mATX Athlon on a 230w power supply and an inverter, which was more than enough. It was 1.1ghz and a TON faster than my 1ghz VIA M10000.

Comment

this is for a full a/v show truck. I will also be adding various add-ons like gps, and satalite tv. however primarily I can not wait for the lathargic speeds of the itx when using media center, I have tried them out and the response time us just unacceptable. I know it sounds stuck up, but I can't see putting a computer in my car that is basically dated to standards of 3 years ago.

I have seen a setup using the opus 150 on a p4 2.4, and he said it works virtually problem free. I would like to use an AMD setup.

Originally posted by thecommiser
        150w wont power that, youd have to go the invertor route....

but why do you need such a powerful setup just to play Music and watch a few movies from time to time?

Comment

Don't compare your auto computer to a high-end gaming rig. You may be 3 years behind the power of a beefy modern desktop, but your 3 years ahead of the power of the best headunits.

I'm just running a P3 1GHz w/ 512MB (which could be considered low-end compared to others'), and everything runs pretty quick. Just keep it clean... just frontends, gps, emulators... if you don't need it in the auto environment, don't install it.

The performance differences between P4s and AMDs doesn't really apply at this level. Unless you plan on busting out some Doom3 or HL2 or rendering your Maya project in the car, it's not really a consideration.
          95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
          ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

Yeah, if your system is running sluggish with a 1ghz system, you're doing something really wrong.

Of course, if this is a 'show truck', then you shouldn't care about actually using it when driving. Just put an extension cable in and plug it into an outlet while it's on display. The rest of us will enjoy listening to music, using GPS, watching movies, reading car diagnostics, etc, as we pass you on the freeway and streets, but you'll be able to play Doom 3 in your garage with your car plugged in, so, I guess it evens out.
            Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
            http://hallert.net/

Comment

I am not questioning if a 1 ghz system is capable of running. I am also not trying to play doom or gaylo 2 in my garage! however if need be i would like to be able to do some multitasking with this system. I.E. what if i while driving, (please keep safety issue comments to yourself.) want to listen to some mp3's/xm with timetrax, have video/gps running on my screens, and would like to rip a cd or burn a cd for a friend?) will the 1ghz systems be able to accomodate these needs without any bit of sluggishness? if so I would definatly use a mini itx setup. so please tell me about your usage on a 1ghz system.

Comment

you dont have to go the opus route, why not just go with an inverter, I have a P4 2.4 in my car. Yes, it's way overkill for what I am doing. But I got it for free so what can I say and I am using an inverter to power it with no problems. And I have an extra plug in case I need to plug the coffee maker in like pimp my ride
                肚子笑痛了
                S60 Install

Comment

Although I don't do a lot of burning or ripping in the van, I have no problem running GPS and playing tunes or videos (I have, however, copied off of full data CDs while doing normal carputer stuff). I think I've burned only a couple CDs in the car, and don't recall the performance difference. Sometimes I listen to mp3 interviews in WMP, then pause and switch to a frontend for music or vids for a friend, while running the GPS, with a couple Windows Explorers open in the background, sometimes while simultaneously transfering files to/from portable storage. Still haven't really configured my emulators, so I couldn't relay any experience with them, and I don't have OBD-II, so couldn't speak on that either.
                  95 Chevy G20 Vroom Boom Room
                  ...with a whole bunch of nifty ****... go check it out: VanDomain Page

Comment

I'm an AMD fan myself, mostly cause it's just cheaper hehe. But in any case, you can get an amd mobile chip, they use less power and produce less heat and still fit your standard socket A motherboards. Plus you can get that + a motherboard for about the same price as a Via board/chip with more then double the speed.
                    -GiZak-
                    Carputer Project: 98% Complete!! *tweakin'*
                    Xenarc 7TSV | Opus 150 | Biostar M7NCG400 | Athlon Mobile2200 | Seagate 160Gb | Kingston 2x256mb | BT Holux GR-231 GPS | LiteOn CD-R/DVD| Keyhole Rev. Cam | Zippy Mini-glow Keyboard

Comment

I'm with him, see my sig that exactly what I'm doing.
                      Installed
                      Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                      512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                      Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                      [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

I will have 2 batteries upgraded alternator, and invertor in the truck anyway for my xbox and ps2, so that is the better route if space is not the concern? how about powering up and down issues, and remote amp turn-ons how is that affected. what parts do i need to be able to have the proper shutdown timers and such. thanks for your help again guys this is by far the best forum I joined in a long time. very informative and little b.s. going on. so far what i can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Quattro-A4
                          I'm with him, see my sig that exactly what I'm doing.
                          Which power supply are you using or are you using inverter?
                          -------------------------
                          carputer: in progress
                          Laptop install

Comment

Originally posted by bd3521
                            Which power supply are you using or are you using inverter?
                            I haven't bought a power supply yet. If opus ever comes out with there 220w supply I would buy that or I'm thinking of making Mastero's MK-4.5, which is 250w. I'm pretty sure the opus 150 would be able to handle my needs as well.
                            Installed
                            Asus A7N8X-VM - AMD Mobile Athlon 2400
                            512 Ram - 60GB HD - Opus 150w
                            Lilliput 7" - Rikaline 6010
                            [00000000000001100010-] 98% Completed

Check Out My Install!!!

Comment

I picked the AMD Sempron 3100 because it uses only 60 watts max. That was the best bang-for-the-watt out there not counting the mobile chips.

My system is still on the bench but I don't predict any problems on the Opus 150. It may be considered "overkill" but I cold boot in under 20 seconds and hibernate-to-music time is under 2 seconds.
                              2005 Subaru Legacy GT

• AMD Sempron 3100, Biostar K8NHA PRO mobo, 512 meg DDR, WD 200 gig SATA, Opus 150, Xenarc
                              • JBL GTi 6.5 fr, JBL 5.25 rr, (3) JBL 75x2 & 1 1200x1 amps, PA MOFO 12 sub

Comment

Working...
                              X