Nub question about power..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nub question about power..

Well, as far as.. skills on electronics goes.. I suck. But, fiberglass, wood, steel, all those goodies.. I'm great at.. so trying to make a show car absolutely sucks.. when i have no idea what im doing with my toys..

Anyway, I have a 750 watt Inverter ( which was used for audio shows in a friends car ) and a 500 watt PS ( which I had just laying around ). I'm looking to put a "medium" to Full size computer in the trunk.

So my question is.. will my alternator bite me in the *** for all the power I want?..

Its going to be in a 05 Acura RSX Type - S.
    So brand new Alternator..

Thanks
    Fati
    05 Acura RSX Type S
    - Back to the Planning Stage -
    ETA: ???

Originally posted by Fatigue
    Anyway, I have a 750 watt Inverter ( which was used for audio shows in a friends car ) and a 500 watt PS ( which I had just laying around ). I'm looking to put a "medium" to Full size computer in the trunk.

So my question is.. will my alternator bite me in the *** for all the power I want?..

Its going to be in a 05 Acura RSX Type - S.
    So brand new Alternator..

Thanks
    Fati
    Your alternator would be the least of my worries. But research the draw the inverter will add. Is it set-up to wire into a cigarette lighter? That would tell you the draw will be minimal and not worth worrying about. If it is not, connect a "medium to full size computer" to your car with an ammeter in series of the positive post (or an inductive ammeter on the positive lead) of the battery and measure the draw. My system draws 8 amps and that's NOTHING for the alternator to worry about. But I'm using an Opus not an inverter... If you lived in Atlanta, we could exchange services. Electrical is second nature to me, but fabrication is something I'm still getting used to doing...
    My first attempt at a carputer.

PM me if you're interested in a monitor faceplate for your '99-'04 Golf or Jetta. My Vortex ID is NorthAtlR32 - you can IM me there, too. Go here for more information.

Comment

alternator = problem = absolutely not

like R32 said - if it's designed to go through the cig lighter you won't have a problem.....

now running it with the car off for extended periods of time might cause a problem....but thats nothing new
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Awesome Thanks. Well, Charlotte isnt to far away, but the way things are going right now at work, I'd be surprised I see daylight for the next few months.

What are you trying to Fabric. R32? Yeah, molding, cutting, all that can be a pain, especially if its not going your way. But once it starts going, you just can't stop.

Also, forgot to mention, that I might use a Tank circuit to help with power while car is off, will my alternator still be good to go?
        05 Acura RSX Type S
        - Back to the Planning Stage -
        ETA: ???

Comment

Awesome Thanks. Well, Charlotte isnt to far away, but the way things are going right now at work, I'd be surprised I see daylight for the next few months.
          I know the feeling. I scheduled my install to happen a month ago - this weekend will be my official attempt! Didn't help that the little woman got this car in an accident or that one of my tenants abandoned a property and left me with the mess to clean up.

What are you trying to Fabric. R32?
          Got a pretty good solution for the CPU housing, but would like a more custom installed look. Am very happy with the dash face - will be posting the whole project Monday, hopefully. Would also like more of a competition grade audio installation in the trunk... but have to weigh that want against my needs for trunk-space.

Also, forgot to mention, that I might use a Tank circuit to help with power while car is off, will my alternator still be good to go?
          Yes. If anything, that will help to remove some of the demand of your charging system on start-up since it won't be charging the same battery that just got hit with your starter's draw. I'm currently investigating the use of a solar battery charger. Used them years ago for customer's cars - gotta find a source again.
          My first attempt at a carputer.

PM me if you're interested in a monitor faceplate for your '99-'04 Golf or Jetta. My Vortex ID is NorthAtlR32 - you can IM me there, too. Go here for more information.

Comment

Working...
          X