No announcement yet.

carputer check off list.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check for the biostar - opus problem. I think it is sorted now but worth checking.

Comment

Looks pretty comprehensive, though when you already have four USB ports, why would you need an additional hub ??

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew230
        Looks pretty comprehensive, though when you already have four USB ports, why would you need an additional hub ??
        For plugging things in up front?

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
          For plugging things in up front?

can do I suppose. Sometimes I forget that some people have different opinions and requirements to me

Comment

yea i was on running the GPS and dvd from teh front. so it would go into that usb hub instead.

one thing im worried is im still not quite sure how am i suppose to power the usb hub and the dvd drive. i think its a pretty good idea to get the slim to IDE adapter then change it to USB then just run 1 USB wire back to the trunk instead of trying to run a long IDE cable. But the usb -> ide adapter requires power on the IDE side so i think have to run a power cable up there to the adapter somehow.

any thoughts/ideas?

Comment

Newegg.com had the Panasonic drive for $72, but I can't seem to find it on there site anymore.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

looks pretty good, only needs usb powered, their is another i found that gets power from the KB port

heres another one powered off usb, 60 bucks.
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

another through keyboard port
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...740113202&rd=1

Thats wat im gonna do, indash screen and then int eh 1/2din i have left one of those guys.

Comment

those arent slot load.....

i figure ill break about a million of them if try to load a cd and drive over a pothole or something

Comment

Originally posted by tdevil
                    yea i was on running the GPS and dvd from teh front. so it would go into that usb hub instead.
                    DVD will need at least a USB 2.0 hub, but then if you plug your GPS into as well, the hub will drop down to USB1.1 which will also be the same for your DVD which means lagging DVD reads..

i think
                    CarPC status: iPod, 3,456,217 songs so **** you

Comment

o where are some slot load thin drives?

preferabbly already USB so you dont need an extra power cord.

Comment

How are you going to power the USB hub? If you're using an OPUS and not an inverter, where are you planning on plugging it in?
                        A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag.

My Ride
                        My New Page

Comment

yea thats my problem.. im not sure how im going to power the usb hub nor the dvd drive.

im hoping some kind of 12v adapter -> 5v (most likely a regulator or something) exists pre built and i can do it with minimal soldering.

i think maybe the GPS will go in the back but then it might not be as accurate heh.

all the slim slot load drives are slim IDE or whatever it is called. then you need an adapter to IDE which requires the power plug then from that you will need to change to USB.

Comment

Originally posted by tdevil
                            yea thats my problem.. im not sure how im going to power the usb hub nor the dvd drive.

im hoping some kind of 12v adapter -> 5v (most likely a regulator or something) exists pre built and i can do it with minimal soldering.

i think maybe the GPS will go in the back but then it might not be as accurate heh.

all the slim slot load drives are slim IDE or whatever it is called. then you need an adapter to IDE which requires the power plug then from that you will need to change to USB.
                            You and I have a very similiar setup.

What I did is I have my gps (usb) mouse mounted in my rear spoiler so I have a usb cable running from the carputer up the decklid hinge and into the device. No problem there. The other usb 2.0 powered socket I have a cable running to the front of the car in the center of the dash. Where I have a usb hub that the xenarc plugs into as well as the dvd slot load drive via the mapower slimline enclosure. The enclosure is fabricated into the dash. Now the problem is of course power to the enclosure and the xenarc. No probelm for the xenarc, just run the power from the 12 volt cigarette power adapter wires straight to it. However, you may also consider running that dirty power through a automotive electrical noise filter to clean it up prior to reaching the xenarc. I will be doing this soon.
                            Now for the dvd enclosure it is 5 volts (warning, note that the little plug in part that goes into the enclosure is backwards so positive is on the outside) anyways to continue, what I did is first I ran a wire from the 5volt rail on the power supply up to the front and tried that but it was dropping too much voltage and I ended up getting 4.89 volts and the mapower didn't work with that. So I went to radioshack and bought a 12v to 5v 1 amp regulator chip and mounted it with some thermal adhesive to the bottom of a old pentium 3 cpu heatsink with fan. The fan operates on 12 volts so I have the fan hooked up to the wires prior to going to the regulator. Then of course the regulator downconverts the 12 volts to 4.91 volts is what I am getting and it was/is enough for the enclosure. the cpu heatsink with fan keeps it very cool and the fan (stock oem fan) is very quiet. I don't hear it even 12 inches from my ear in a quiet room. !!!

Problems I ran into were that the cheapo usb hub I bought (iogear) was getting very hot and it would start playing games and unplugging devices internally so the dvd player would lock up and the touchscreen usb would turn off and on and then ask for installation instructions. with no mouse I could not even click ok so I would have to wait until I got somewhere and reboot the system.

Now I have a dlink usb hub and as I type this my car is in the driveway running with the dvd player going and the gps system going etc so I can verify that by replacing the usb hub with a better one it solved the problem.

Playing office space So I will let it go for 2 hours and figure since before it would wig out after about 5 minutes if I get to the end of the movie without it locking up it will be good to go and I can put everything back together.

Whew, long post but I hope I provided some ideas or answers as to what direction to take your carputer.

Comment

Does it work to have a 2.5" notebook drive in a 3.5" internal bay? Are there advantages to this? The reason I ask is because for less then the drive you selected, you can double your storage space with this drive: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...148-040&depa=1
                              The last thing you want to do is build a system and then realize you need to get a bigger hard drive then you have planned.
                              Spent so far: $1,755
                              Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
                              CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
                              Don't mess with Texas.
                              It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Working...
                              X