Volvo carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volvo carputer

i've been thinking about getting GPS, DVD, and my entire music collection into my car, but it seems like buying a headunit that does all of this is way to expensive. i have looked around and a carputer seems right for me. this system will be going into a 1999 volvo v70 XC. here is my current part list:

BOLData mini-pc (P3 933mhz, 256mb SDRAM, 60GB HDD, combo drive)-$485 link
    T-View 7" Touch Screen LCD- $245 link
    Garmin GPS 18 USB- $130
    And a power supply/shutdown controller that i will need suggestions on.

oh, and not to forget the amp that will power the speakers.

so, what do you guys think of this set up?

here are some pics of my car's glovebox (where the computer will go) and the headunit (where i will mold the lcd into). the dimensions of the glovebox are 9"x2 3/8"x7" (that the computer will be in, it's got a shallower part).

I think the mini ITX mobo is about 7" inches square, double check it, I am not sure you will fit it in the glovebox without cutting.
    My Install

Software:
    CFiG v1
    iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
    Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
    StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

My god! I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of that HU. Those balance and fade controls are so ugly. Leaves a nive big space for the screen - lucky sod.

Looks like you may have to take that glove box liner out for the PC. Worth a look to whats behind anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by alti
        I think the mini ITX mobo is about 7" inches square, double check it, I am not sure you will fit it in the glovebox without cutting.

it will fit. if you looked at the link i posted for the mini-pc, it's dimensions are 1.8 x 5.7 x 6.2 inches (HWD). there is more than enough space in the glovebox.

any ideas on powersupply/shutdown controller or just in general?

oh, and that headunit is really ugly...not my motivation to get rid of it, but when it's gone the whole center console will look much improved.

Comment

Are you sure the PC will fit in the glovebox? Hell I can't even stuff the factory HU in the glovebox on my 850...

Comment

Originally posted by ksmyarse
            Are you sure the PC will fit in the glovebox? Hell I can't even stuff the factory HU in the glovebox on my 850...
            i'm positive it will fit. it will only take up about half of the glovebox (the deep part in the picture).

Comment

Working...
            X