Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please explain a few carputer basic features...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please explain a few carputer basic features...

Ok, ok, i'm a newbie, so here we go: A few things i haven't figured out concerning PC based carputers...

• In a well configured PC system, do you start the computer and shut it down everytime you start or shut down the car? If so, how long does it take to start it up? Or do you put it too sleep?

• Is there a system that can start and shut down the computer when i press the remote power lock button?

• Is there a touch screen based front software that takes care of playing MP3's, movies, FM radio and navigation from the same interface?

• If i don't mind paying extra to buy a full system from a carputer company, are they really complete, and wich one is the best?

Thanks! More questions to come...

/ Bubbalito

Oh.... that calls for some serious revenge:

naughty boy!

Comment

Sorry, sorry, i should have been more clear.
      I have been searching the forums, but since i'm a mac user, and not very technical, i'm having problem finding clear answers to these questions. It seems everybody have different opinions and systems.
      I know about software like Mediacar, but i can't find full documentation even on their website. I know that most of you guys start and shut down your PC, but why?

Oh well, point taken, i will continue searching the forums, but any thread or link tips would be much appreciated.

/ Bubbalito

Comment

Originally posted by bubbalito
        I know that most of you guys start and shut down your PC, but why?
        Because our car batteries will go flat if we don't!!!!!

My advice would be to read lots of stuff about PC shutdown controllers etc in the Newbie section.

Are you building a MAC or a PC for your car.

If it is a MAC:
        Then after you have read everything in the Newbie section go read stuff in the MAC section - which is pretty new. Maybe after you understand the basics then ask some questions on the MAC section about how people are finding using shutdown controllers with thier MACs.

If it is a PC:
        All the answers are out there - they have been for ages and you are just gonna hve to read. Personally i can't believe your initial question as they are so basic and elementary you shoudl be able to answer them yourself in 5 minutes of looking at this site.

Comment

• In a well configured PC system, do you start the computer and shut it down everytime you start or shut down the car? If so, how long does it take to start it up? Or do you put it too sleep?
          30 seconds is an on par start up time from pressing the power button to a functional desktop.

• Is there a system that can start and shut down the computer when i press the remote power lock button?
          Yes

• Is there a touch screen based front software that takes care of playing MP3's, movies, FM radio and navigation from the same interface?
          There are several, pick your flavor.

• If i don't mind paying extra to buy a full system from a carputer company, are they really complete, and wich one is the best?
          Thats personal preference. If you "don't mind paying a little extra" I vote you go for an extremm, watercooled (ok maybe not depends where you live) x86-64 system.

More to do.
          ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

everything you ask for is here if you would read before posting.
            looks like somebody lost their hooked on phonics tape in the mail......
            The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
            CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
            PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
            Memory:1G
            Drives:160gig
            WI-FI:Cingular
            GPS:IG2k9
            Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
            The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Ok, ok, i'm a newbie, so here we go: A few things i haven't figured out concerning PC based carputers...
              Since you post in the newbie section so I am not going to slap you with the thinggy, but if you have time search for the topic you want and start reading.
              Cold boot take longer than boot from hibernation or standby. It is also depend on hardware configuration. But can be somewhere between 15-30 second. There are device (SDC) to control the shutdown sequence so that a short stop for refuel or liquior doesn't require a shutdown and restart.
              There is no such system. Basic carPC is very much independent to the operational of your car. But to your question, yes, it is doable with a relay and diodes. Basically when you press a button on your remote, the receiver module (alarm) send and (-) pulse. With a relay and diodes, you can convert that signal in to (+) to trigger the SDC mention above.
              There are a fews so pick your flavor.
              I don't know, but usually what you paid is what you get. Or sometime, you won't get for what you paid. You get fxxxxxk

/ Bubbalito
              You are welcome
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

EBFoxbat and MatrixPC, thankyou.

And trust me on this one: I will search the forums like an american border patrol man would a bearded frenchman before i post any more questions. (Spent another few hours searching for answers today without finding what i'm looking for, so i guess i'm just slow. On a members website however, http://www.gormanly.com/Carputer/Carputer.htm, things got a bit clearer...)

Comment

get a Mac Mini

Comment

A tiny newbie's guide.

Look here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=368878
                    ,./(0)3

'04 Canyon 4x4 pickup

[---PC on hold----working on external fiberglass "tool" box---]

Comment

so you never did answer the question though...are you looking to do the mac or the pc? if it's for the mac then I can see your questions being a little more legit as not everything for the PC is the same for the MAC.....but you need to clarify this!

if it's not for a MAC....then I'LL slap you with a

I don't understand what you can't find the answer to? everything you ask about is answered in most of the sticky at the top of most forums....

lol
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                        so you never did answer the question though...are you looking to do the mac or the pc? if it's for the mac then I can see your questions being a little more legit as not everything for the PC is the same for the MAC.....but you need to clarify this!
                        So I assume it is for PC system.
                        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

I'll wait till he can clarify it for sure before i assume anything

=]
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

EBFoxbat and MatrixPC, thankyou.

And trust me on this one: I will search the forums like an american border patrol man would a bearded frenchman before i post any more questions. (Spent another few hours searching for answers today without finding what i'm looking for, so i guess i'm just slow. On a members website however, http://www.gormanly.com/Carputer/Carputer.htm, things got a bit clearer...)
                            wow I feel all warm and special inside... thanks
                            My Install

Software:
                            CFiG v1
                            iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                            Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                            StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Working...
                            X