Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual mode video output? GPS on one screen, DVD on other?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual mode video output? GPS on one screen, DVD on other?

Yargh, please help an uninformed newbie here. I can't seem to find any info on this type of setup.

I want to have a touchscreen lcd in front, and a normal lcd in the rear and have it so that both screens can show the same video, like a DVD, or have it so that I can switch the front screen to navigation, or some other type of source, in a single carputer (sorry about the run-on).

Has something like this been done? I know I've seen one of those dvd/lcd/mp3 headunits with the flip out screen that said it could do it, but can't remember the model.

Thanks!
    -mike

Fist thing you need is a Dual video out video card.
    I use Nvidia. In control panel go to Display>settings> advanced.
    In my case, I go to Gforce and enable both vga outputs.
    then, it gives me the choice on either clone the image on both monitors, or do a horizontal view accross both screens...

Hope this helps,
    Danny

Comment

I'm planning exactly the same thing w/ this:
      http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...101-111&depa=1
      •Micke

Comment

well.. actually, i'm hoping to run a 3rd HUD display for the NAV stuff
        •Micke

Comment

I was wondering that as well. i was thinking about using a car audio a/v selector. they are made by clarion, farenheit, and some others.

Comment

like this the avir-4 or avir-6
            souce selector

Comment

Ahhh! That's a great idea... I could even see the most simple set up to be like this:

dual head card (set up to be like dual monitor): have one always be for the nav, and one always be for dvd video. SPLIT the dvd video output to a video selector ("a" switch), and run the nav into the selector ("b" switch). Have the selector output to the front display, and run the other end of the split from earlier into the rear screen.

That way you would never have to go into the control panels, or design some other software-based solution and instead have a simple switch box to control everything.

Perfect, thanks everyone!

Comment

Well in my Setup (Might not bother with dual display anymore)
                I am having a 7" Composite LCD in the back and 2 Snes controllers connected to the PC

I've found a program that was made for dual screen displays

What it does is it pins the program onto either screen 1 or 2 and and keeps it there so each time a program starts up it will be at the exact spot

So i've got frodoplayer or NMC etc as fullscreen on screen 1 which is the 7" Xenarc touchscreen

In the back I have my own special frontend which uses the button presses from the snes Pad to play music watch movies and also play emulators (snes nes mame etc)

and the controllers are setup to only work with the special frontend and with emulators it runs full screen and a small button is used to escape the games to go back to the list.

The audio is used through headphones (i have the main audio turned off on the car speakers and used through there headphones and i have a second soundcard which just outputs D3 navigational commands while i listen to the radio if the back LCD is in use)

The big problem is audio as down here in australia it's illegal to listen to a movie or see the movie in the drivers view thats why i have a soundcard dedicated to GPS

But yeah i reccomend you have 2 frontends running one for you then one for the other screen.

But thats only cause i think it's stupid having a movie playing infront of u while driving
                CarPC Status:
                GPS: 99%
                Hardware: 99%
                Software: 92%
                Case Install: 99.9%
                Dash Install: 100%
                Car Install: 72%

Comment

NIN do you think you could hook up a link to the program that lets you open apps in seperate screens every time..I was thinkin sumin along the same lines.

Another question, have you set up two sounds cards?
                  I wanted dvd to come threw the headphones as well while still being able to hear gps and mp3 and such

had to use it, just to damn funny

Comment

Originally posted by john_draws
                    NIN do you think you could hook up a link to the program that lets you open apps in seperate screens every time..I was thinkin sumin along the same lines.
                    If you have an ATI card thier Hydravision program will do it. At least I assume it will only work with ATI cards.
                    Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

AIMEE will allow you to open it's sections (GPS, audio, phone control, web, video/dvd etc) on seperate screens. I will be eventually having 2 screens in the dash (in my other car) one of which will be purely for GPS, the other for all the other stuff

Of course you'll need a graphics card that will allow you to have different things shown on different screens...AFAIK the onboard video on the Epia boards won't (well not that I've been able to do anyway)

Garry
                      Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                      www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
                        AIMEE will allow you to open it's sections (GPS, audio, phone control, web, video/dvd etc) on seperate screens. I will be eventually having 2 screens in the dash (in my other car) one of which will be purely for GPS, the other for all the other stuff

Of course you'll need a graphics card that will allow you to have different things shown on different screens...AFAIK the onboard video on the Epia boards won't (well not that I've been able to do anyway)

Garry
                        I'm still waiting for AIMEE

how much have you done so far?

I'll tell you when I get back home i'm at work now

Another question, have you set up two sounds cards?
                        I wanted dvd to come threw the headphones as well while still being able to hear gps and mp3 and such

had to use it, just to damn funny
                        I do have it setup for testing what I was trying to do first off was run winamp on the second LCD screen and have the USB soundcard deicated for it but when i tried to make a frontend i had trouble getting video working right.

I'm sure i could make a skin to hide it I did get a plugin to automaticlly make winamp video window full screen when playing a movie file.

I was trying to have mp3 and video through winamp as it lets you select the soundcard and i couldnt find any video programs which let you select what soundcard to use.

I semi failed as i could get video to play but when finished it went back to winamp and not the frontend

Right now i'm using a second soundcard for D3 Vocal direction and having it installed in the headrest so my audio wont always go up and down when i'm using GPS

I got the idea of scouse monkey
                        CarPC Status:

Comment

NIN

It sounds like we were trying the same thing with using a usb sound card i was using this http://www.xitel.com/product_hfl.htm and like you dedicating it to winamp as an input device. You can also do this with WMP but the problem i am having is that the front ends (frodoplayer, mediacar..ect) use the same programs for video as they do mp3 (am i right on this?) .

So I was thinkin i could use like a diff video program probably zoomplayer as i think you can pick audio source in it like Winamp.

And either
                          1. Dedicate the usb to winamp (mediacar, roadrunner) and this goes
                          to the car speakers. Everything else like gps, movies, games ect
                          goes threw the headrest speakers (funny you said headrest
                          speakers I have had some in my headrest for about a year for my
                          xbox)..and they are coming from the onboard sound (m1000).
                          Then when you plug in the headphones to watch a movie or play
                          games The driver can still hear the music but no gps outloud so
                          who ever has the headphones has tell ya when to turn.

When i drive i dont want to hear or really see the movie or games
                          as I am driving and i want my tunes. I want it be driver friendly

2. i guess you could use the onboard sound for everything main and
                          then dedicate the usb to video but then ur navi is competing with
                          your music.

Anyway I apreciate the heads up from everyone in this thread and I am looking forward to A.I.M.E.E, there are so many top notch front ends I dont know what i want to use. So to all you workin hard to make my life easier THANK YOU.

Oh ya NIN^^ ya just hit up that program when you get a chance much appreciated....The video card im using an nvidia pci dual monitor and s-video
                          but as you know cloning and screen stretch doesnt help me out...I could have sworn i saw something in the settings of the driver that you could force programs to open on a certian screen...

Long post sorry so im out
                          ps would love to work these 2 problems out

Comment

john, you probably looking for a program called UltraMon, I use it at home on my dual 18" LCD setup, works great.
                            1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

NIN

It sounds like we were trying the same thing with using a usb sound card i was using this http://www.xitel.com/product_hfl.htm and like you dedicating it to winamp as an input device. You can also do this with WMP but the problem i am having is that the front ends (frodoplayer, mediacar..ect) use the same programs for video as they do mp3 (am i right on this?) .
                              Well not corectly as Media Car did go through my second Soundcard but Video module doesn't use Winamp so it still uses the onboard audio as the output for the movies.

If i can get winamp 5 to stay hidden in the systray after a movie has played i'd be ok.

I have to use winamp 5 cause the plugin for Fullscreen video when played only works on version 5

So I was thinkin i could use like a diff video program probably zoomplayer as i think you can pick audio source in it like Winamp.

And either
                              1. Dedicate the usb to winamp (mediacar, roadrunner) and this goes
                              to the car speakers. Everything else like gps, movies, games ect
                              goes threw the headrest speakers (funny you said headrest
                              speakers I have had some in my headrest for about a year for my
                              xbox)..and they are coming from the onboard sound (m1000).
                              Then when you plug in the headphones to watch a movie or play
                              games The driver can still hear the music but no gps outloud so
                              who ever has the headphones has tell ya when to turn.

When i drive i dont want to hear or really see the movie or games
                              as I am driving and i want my tunes. I want it be driver friendly

2. i guess you could use the onboard sound for everything main and
                              then dedicate the usb to video but then ur navi is competing with
                              your music.
                              Well To combat this I was gonna have 2 winamps open 1 for D3 voices and other for my Music both playing on the same audio card while i disable the main audio from the car so the back seat users can use the onboard sound.

I'll see if i can mess with winamp some more and see get it to stop popping up after video is played. I guess making a plugin to close winamp after the movie is finished would fix it

Anyway I apreciate the heads up from everyone in this thread and I am looking forward to A.I.M.E.E, there are so many top notch front ends I dont know what i want to use. So to all you workin hard to make my life easier THANK YOU.
                              No problems

Oh ya NIN^^ ya just hit up that program when you get a chance much appreciated....The video card im using an nvidia pci dual monitor and s-video
                              but as you know cloning and screen stretch doesnt help me out...I could have sworn i saw something in the settings of the driver that you could force programs to open on a certian screen...

Long post sorry so im out
                              ps would love to work these 2 problems out
                              No problems i'll tell you when I get home

Originally posted by dodgetimes2
                              john, you probably looking for a program called UltraMon, I use it at home on my dual 18" LCD setup, works great.
                              UltraMon isn't the program i'm talking about....well I don't think so it probably is i'll find out later tonight
                              CarPC Status:

Comment

Working...
                              X