Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter.....

Hello dudes!

I am in the beginning of building my first carputer and I have a few questions.

Can I use this inverter? http://www.cartft.com/carpc/catalog/il/103
    Im planning to use my old AMD 1300, 512 ram 80gb hd an gf4 mx as computer.
    The display I'm planning to use is Xenarc 7". Can I buy this from cartft (known there as 700tsv)or does anyone around here have a better suggestion? I would rather buy from the US but the toll and fees are so high here in Sweden.
    I know! I need a startup and shutdown controller and im thinking of CarPC EZ controller.

Regards
    Tony
    Sorry for my poor English....

That one's not bad but you should be able to find a more powerful for less money then that.
    1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

Aight! But the rest of the setup, what do you guys think of that?

Comment

The rest of your setup sounds good. You dont necessiarly need a shutdown controller if you can set your pc to power on upon power restore. Then you just set your inverter to come on with your car. I use a 120v power inverter I picked up at Home Depot. Works great for me, I also power some pc speakers, a rear view camera and a vcr from the power inverter. No problems, and very little noise.
        -Drew Taylor
        2000 Grand Am GT PC

Comment

More opinions please!

Comment

Lets see. Personally, Sweeden, cold climate, if i was you, I try to look for an american 110V power inverter with a computer PSU that support 110/120V. This is mostly a safety reason as moisture at high voltages do tend to cause problems.

Shutdown controller. First check if your bios support Power On after Power Loss. If yes, then forget about the shutdown controller, pointless. Just create a method to shut down/turn on the power inverter and your good to go.

Rest of the setup, it'll do.
            Mark

Car'Puter Project
            - Xenarc 700TSV
            - MSI RS482M-IL Mobo + AMD Turion MT-32 (25W)
            - 1x 256MB Corsair XMMS DDR400
            - M2-ATX
            - Belkin 802.11G W-Nic
            - Garmin 15H GPS
            - WinXP SP2 (NLited)

Comment

Shutdown controller. First check if your bios support Power On after Power Loss. If yes, then forget about the shutdown controller, pointless. Just create a method to shut down/turn on the power inverter and your good to go.
              So you just let the computer lose power for turning it off... and then when it regains power (by the power inverter turning on) it automatically reboots with no errors?

Comment

I'll try that! Thanks for your inputs! I'll tell you later how it goes!

Comment

Can you please give more detail on where this setting is in the bios. I dont see anything that says "Power On after Power Loss" on any computer ive looked on yet.

Comment

If you can afford it go for at least a shutdown/startup controller like the ones on MP3Car.com store... What have you got to lose... You'll be able to gain hibernate support etcd for quicker boot times. Shutdown controllers on Inverters have made them a little more useful than they used to be!

Even better is a DC-DC supply like the Opus 150W which should power what you're using... Then you have a wide option from not just using less power and decent ATX shutdown control, you can look at playing with standby support plus using a lot less power in the car, and on the whole less people have noise problems with the audio. Yeah I know some invertor ppl get it sorted fine or never have problems but the majority seem too. Buying the Opus was without a doubt the best thing I did - better than the invertors I had, the custom regulator circuits etc
                    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

When using an inverter, you want a power controller. Otherwise, you have wait for the PC to turn off before turning off the Inverter.

Also, If you want to jump out of the car real fast after parking, a power controller is the best method of ensuring everything shuts down properly.

KyferEz
                      TheCarPCStore.com - Power Controllers (SDC), Inverters, Tank Circuit, GPS, OBDII, CarPCs, and more!
                      PSU Wattage Calculator
                      Electronics Calculators
                      Copper Wire Data

Comment

Working...
                      X