Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carputer power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • carputer power

    my first post, after spending 3 hours reading and searching for more info. I still can not find any info on my concern.

    right now I am guessing that the computer will shut down when you turn off your engine?

    and also, if i buy a dc power supply ( let's say the opus), I don't need an invertor right?

  • #2
    Not necessarily... It depends what you intend to use for a PSU. More details please.
    Re-boxed Dell Optiplex GX110 PIII 733 256Mb RAM
    Modified Sproggy PSU
    Custom made automatic start-up/ shut-down controller
    Dual 2.5" HDDs
    Laptop DVD Reader
    D-Link FM Radio
    5" PSOne LCD
    Installed and working. 75% complete.

    Comment


    • #3
      my main question is what the invertor use for? and usually how long does it take for the computer to load back up when you turn the car back on?

      Comment


      • #4
        Think you need to do some more It has all been said time and time again.

        The inverter takes 12v dc and inverts it to 220v ac, therefore allowing you to plug in standard mains type equipment (eg a PC). The point of DC-DC Power Supplies is that you do not need to convert from DC to AC and back again.

        You can also buy many different shutdown controllers to enable you to specify how and when your PC shuts down.

        As for boot up times... definately Mine takes about 20 seconds out of hibernation. There are people on here that have got boot times down to about 5 seconds (or less!) using things like XPLite etc.
        Re-boxed Dell Optiplex GX110 PIII 733 256Mb RAM
        Modified Sproggy PSU
        Custom made automatic start-up/ shut-down controller
        Dual 2.5" HDDs
        Laptop DVD Reader
        D-Link FM Radio
        5" PSOne LCD
        Installed and working. 75% complete.

        Comment


        • #5
          Seriously mate you have not bothered reading the foums let alone searching, this question is asked every other day.

          Most purpose you can use a DC-DC (to tkae the Car power 9v dc > 18v dc and convert it striaght to the motherboard ATX power, or to a stable 12V)

          Have a look at www.cartnetix.com or look at the Opus website for a better idea. DC-DC is the best way to go for most people.

          If you have an invertor you are introducing noise into the system and it's not very efficient. It's sometimes neccessary if for some reason you choose to overspec your car pc to more than you'll need though as the top end (opus 150W) DC-DC PSUs can't really run much more than a P4 2.8ghz system with very few extras. As well as the invertor you would need a shutdown controller to control auto-startup / hibernation/ shutdown.

          With a good DC-Dc PSU like the opus and a mini-itx based system you should easily be able to have a system which goes on/off with the car ignition and when off is actually standby, so you have 2 second resume to music playing etc.
          Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
          Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

          Comment


          • #6
            where do you guys put your power supply or car-pc at? in the trunk?, if so, how do you power other device in the front?, also, some people mention putting a dvd drive in the front so they could switch dvd easily, do you use internal or external dvd drive? I mean do you run all those wire from the opus and ide cable from car-pc in the trunk to the front? or how are you guys wiring them?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by woeful
              where do you guys put your power supply or car-pc at? in the trunk?, if so, how do you power other device in the front?, also, some people mention putting a dvd drive in the front so they could switch dvd easily, do you use internal or external dvd drive? I mean do you run all those wire from the opus and ide cable from car-pc in the trunk to the front? or how are you guys wiring them?
              The answer to almost all of your questions is yes. People put them in the dash, under the seat, in the trunk, in the glove compartment, in the center console, in the overhead console, EVERYWHERE.

              You need some basic orientation information. A carputer project can't be slapped together in just a couple of hours unless you've already done it. Go here http://www.carnetix.com/DecisionTree/DecisionTree.htm to get a basic idea of the decisions that have to be made. Do some searching to find some of the answers and if you come up empty, post a question -at first in the newbie area.

              You'll find that people are generally willing to help you out by answering your questions but won't be willing to spoon-feed you the easy stuff. Most of the questions you're asking get asked VERY frequently and the answers are often posted in the forums as "stickies" or should be pretty easy to search out.

              In fact, a couple of the questions you're asking are posted right at the beginning of this forum. See: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16913

              Also: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32430

              Best of luck, welcome to the forums!
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

              Comment


              • #8
                I have read through those thread before, and just did it again, but can not find my answer. What I mean to ask is if I to put my opus and pc in the trunk, do I extend all the cables and power wire to the front? or is there another way to power those accessory in the front?

                Comment


                • #9
                  OMG!!!!!! geezer - do some reading - seriously it is all there and been asked a million billion times. Think about it? How much electrical and PC building eperience do you have - cos you could do with some or doing some serious reading.

                  How powerful is a typical PC power supply? 150-300W at 12V (for arguments sake - you car will produce 14 when the engine is on) this is goinign to be pulling say 15-20A. Power = voltage x current (eg 12V at 10A is 120W). Now if you use an inverter i would say 300W is notmally the minium people use and you would probably get away with a 250W PSU on that (safely and reliably). an opus 150 at 14V is pulling just over 10A and at 12V almost 15A so you need wiring that can take 15A (or 150W) + anythything else you might want to run off it - eg amps. Of course you need to run a new power cable to your Opus - you can't just use the redundant CD changer loom or something.

                  You need to search on how people have done this and what wire they have used. Most people use 8 guage to be safe and also USE A FUSE! car fires are not nice and happen very easily from dodgy wiring. You have to put a fuse as close tp the battery as possible (and on the +12 line before you ask). You should always wire soemthing like that directly to the battery - not off another wiring loom as you have no idea what those existing wires can take and what load they already have on them. It is pretty elementary stuff really.

                  Things you need to look up:

                  Power wiring
                  startup/shutdown controllers
                  Opus wiring (they have a good site too)
                  Inverter setups people use
                  IGN line/switch 12V for turning the opus on (yes you have to run this to your opus too AS WELL AS A HIGH CURRENT 12V line)

                  Go and search and read like your life depends on it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by woeful
                    I have read through those thread before, and just did it again, but can not find my answer. What I mean to ask is if I to put my opus and pc in the trunk, do I extend all the cables and power wire to the front? or is there another way to power those accessory in the front?
                    It is an easy way to power them up front. Otherwise you would need a regulated 12V PSU and a relay(which probably needs wiring from boot to trunk).. It's much more complicated.
                    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Scouse Monkey
                      OMG!!!!!! geezer - do some reading - seriously it is all there and been asked a million billion times. Think about it? How much electrical and PC building eperience do you have - cos you could do with some or doing some serious reading.

                      How powerful is a typical PC power supply? 150-300W at 12V (for arguments sake - you car will produce 14 when the engine is on) this is goinign to be pulling say 15-20A. Power = voltage x current (eg 12V at 10A is 120W). Now if you use an inverter i would say 300W is notmally the minium people use and you would probably get away with a 250W PSU on that (safely and reliably). an opus 150 at 14V is pulling just over 10A and at 12V almost 15A so you need wiring that can take 15A (or 150W) + anythything else you might want to run off it - eg amps. Of course you need to run a new power cable to your Opus - you can't just use the redundant CD changer loom or something.

                      You need to search on how people have done this and what wire they have used. Most people use 8 guage to be safe and also USE A FUSE! car fires are not nice and happen very easily from dodgy wiring. You have to put a fuse as close tp the battery as possible (and on the +12 line before you ask). You should always wire soemthing like that directly to the battery - not off another wiring loom as you have no idea what those existing wires can take and what load they already have on them. It is pretty elementary stuff really.

                      Things you need to look up:

                      Power wiring
                      startup/shutdown controllers
                      Opus wiring (they have a good site too)
                      Inverter setups people use
                      IGN line/switch 12V for turning the opus on (yes you have to run this to your opus too AS WELL AS A HIGH CURRENT 12V line)

                      Go and search and read like your life depends on it.

                      If you have read my last post, then you would know what I am asking for. You go on flaming me yet and wrote some .... that's not even answering my question.
                      Thanks stevieg for answering my question, but I still want to know how would you power in the front, I mean the screen, usb external devices and other stuff would needs powers right, If i am going to power them in the front, how would I do it?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by woeful
                          Thanks stevieg for answering my question, but I still want to know how would you power in the front, I mean the screen, usb external devices and other stuff would needs powers right, If i am going to power them in the front, how would I do it?
                          You can power them from the opus (so long as you fuse it, and don't over load it).

                          Here's how I am doing it in my v4 install:

                          Opus PSU has the molex connectors which go to the HDD etc for power. I have a splitter there, and a fuse. I am taking the 12V line from the PC in the boot all the way to the front of the car where the screen is (along with USB & VGA) where it then connects into the screen. For the 5V you can usually do the same thing, and power a USB hub from it.

                          Have a search for powering the screen from the Opus.. It is quite common and there are a few ways of doing it. The advice applies to almost any PC accessory in the car, as most will be powered either by USB or 12V.
                          Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                          Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Let me handle this guys...

                            First question to you woeful... Do you have any computer building knowledge?
                            What I mean is.. do you know how to take apart all components of a computer, and know what each one is and know where each one go?

                            If your answer is NO. You need consoling, and I don't think this site is too friendly about that as there way too many people that would need that and we're just tired of repeating the same thing over and over and over again. So, your best bet is search with specific words.

                            If your answer is YES. then read on.

                            Power Supply.
                            Really, there's really 2 types.

                            DC-DC and Inverter.

                            If you want the lazy approach... go with the DC-DC that has everything built in already. (i.e. Opus) These would power up your PC and shut down your PC with just a turn of your car key.

                            If you're more adventurous, you can go with the Inverter route, and if want to automate everything, you'll have to add shutdown controllers, extra batteries, more wirings, etc. Hey, some people like the challenge and some people don't... all up to you. WE DON'T MAKE THE DECISION FOR YOU!!!

                            Now to your question.

                            You can power-up anything you want as long as there is a power source... again.. it's all up to you!!!

                            Some people here use internal components as they're a little cheaper than external. Others use external cause... They just want to... again... it's entirely up to them.

                            Where do you get the power from? Again, it's up to you. Some people use their existing Power Supply from the computer, other use extra battery, car battery, cigerette plug.. it's really comes down to one thing... IT'S ALL UP TO YOU.

                            You can go to the project showoff page, and actually see how some of these guys do their wiring, and what they use... each car is different, space is gonna be an issue. And the overall looks plays in too. You can go with the getto look like some people here, or you can try an OEM look.. It's all up to you...

                            If you want an example.. here's mine...

                            OPUS 120watt, M10k, desktop HD all in my glovebox.
                            wire from OPUS to my battery, trigger wire to my acc fusebox.

                            Internal slotloading DVD-ROM in my middle console. Power from OPUS by extending the MOLEX wires... (I had to cut the wire and extend it from my glovebox to my middle console... original wire lengh was about 2'.. I made it extend to 5')
                            IDE cable, I bought a loooooong one... I think it was a 3' IDE cable.. don't remember the length. Also, I think there's a length limit with IDE.

                            My Xenarc Touchscreen is connected to my computer with the supplied wires Xenarc came with. Power, I went to Radio Shack and bought a cigerette plug with the same power specs (just so I won't fried my screen) So my screen is being powered by my cigerette plug.

                            See? This is my setup, and not all setup would look the same. It's all up to you on how u want it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              do you have a picture of a spliter and the fuse install?

                              yes, i know how to identify computers parts or even built one. and yes, finnaly someone answer my question. For the DC and invertor parts, I was a little bit confuse of how to ask, I already know what they are. I really want my pc and the opus to be infront of the car, I was looking at some thing like this
                              click here

                              I live in washington, where the summer can go up to +100F degree, can something like this with no other cooling device except a small fan in the back survive the heat?

                              my other concern is, with a epia 12000, 1.2g i think, 512 memory, would this be a ok system to use something like gps, video, maybe another application at the same time?

                              btw, thanks for your help

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X