Questions about extending wires from Xenarc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about extending wires from Xenarc

Hey guys, can someone refer me to a USB extension and VGA extension cable. As it is now, I dont really have access to the Xenarc screen because its in my dash and to access that would be a serious pain. Whats a good VGA extension cable with no loss in quality of picture as well as good effective extender for the USB for the touchscreen.

Also Im assuming any 2.5" extender would work for the sound? For that, I can probably get access to my RCA cables if need be but rather not if I dont have to.

Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions.

Thanks!

for the vga cable to to find a old cable that is removable from a old svga monitor and use a male-male connector to join the cablesand yes any 2.5mm stero cable extender should work but are you use you arn't using 3.5mm

Comment

Yeah sorry, the 3.5" is correct. Sorry I mistyped. Is there no problems in video quality though by extending the VGA cable?

Comment

I extended the cable by 5meters- pretty long. There was a quality loss on lilliput, but it looks very good on Xenarc- no loss. I think the difference may come from the ferrite-something the lilliput cable has and Xenarc has not.

Again- no problems extending video cable on Xenarc.
        car computer status: ready_
        : epiam10000 256meg, audigy2nx :-F, ground loop :-)
        :
        : check out my car putter here
        : check out my FrodoPlayer skin here

Comment

Hey thanks. Last question is what kind of connector did you use to extend the USB cable? Aside from the VGA and sound port, that would be my only thing to extend.

Thanks.

Comment

I extended my Xenarc VGA with a 6' extender. I selected it based on price. Lowest price won. Works great, no apparent loss.

I also extended the USB cable. It goes from the Xenarc USB to a hub, the hub connects via an 8' or so cable to the PC. The hub is non-powered and was also selected based on low price and the fact that it was tiny so I could bury it in my center console. Works great although I will advise that you should have operated the system in this configuration BEFORE installing it in the car.

Reason is that Windows is picky about which port your devices are attached to. I found that the touchscreen worked fine in the house but when I added the hub it wanted to re-install and asked me to confirm that. Since I had no keyboard, I had no way to confirm. Plugging the keyboard/mouse into a port it had never been plugged in to brought the same query with no way to answer it! Morale of the story: set it up identical to the car before you put it in the car.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I use a lilliput but the extensions are the same.. I used a cheap VGA extension, the VGA wire is not near anything that causes interference so tbh I've had no problems. Same with the USB... just a cheap cable!
              Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
              Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Yeah, my laptop is really picky about which hub goes into it which is why I just thought I'd go the extender route for now to just get the touchscreen working. Any suggestions on that as well as links? Also for the previous poster, which VGA extender did you go with?

Thanks again.

Comment

Also wouldn't you need a male/female VGA connector. You said male/male. I dont think thats correct

Comment

male/female of course. The family type of a cable
                    car computer status: ready_
                    : epiam10000 256meg, audigy2nx :-F, ground loop :-)
                    :
                    : check out my car putter here
                    : check out my FrodoPlayer skin here

Comment

I just went for a normal VGA extension cable. Male female. Is there any other VGA extension?
                      Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                      Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

Working...
                      X