Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp for a Newbie

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...etailComponent

I'm still new to the carputer scene and even newer to the car audio scene. I have some experience with amplifiers but only for recording studios and live DJ setups so I'm really at a loss on which amp to get for my new Dakota Truckputer. A friend of mine is selling the amp above for $175 (price isn't really a concern) and I was wondering if that would work for my truckputer. I don't plan on any subs, atleast not at the beginning and I'm only going to be powering my speakers. I have Infinity Dodge Premium Sound with 4 standard size speakers and two components in the front. I keep reading everywhere that you need a 4-channel amp but is that only for people with 4 speakers? Or will having components work as well.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Dak TruckPuter:

Mac: - Researching and Awaiting Funds

Changed to planning for a Mac Mini Trukputer...w3rd.

im not familiar at all with your truck, but id research it a bit and see if it is like our van whereas it has an amp seperate from the headunit. if this is the case, you may be able to stick with the stock amp and all you would need is a special wiring harness to hook the amp up to your truckputer.

of course, thats if you wann go that route. i dont know what your musical tastes are.
    Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

With the infinity system you should have a separate amp. Newer systems have a 4-channel amp inside the dash. Your 2000 however may be like my older 99 Ram and have two 2-channel amps built into each of the two front door speakers. May be good enough for a start until upgrading everything else.
      Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

Originally posted by strohmrs
        With the infinity system you should have a separate amp. Newer systems have a 4-channel amp inside the dash. Your 2000 however may be like my older 99 Ram and have two 2-channel amps built into each of the two front door speakers. May be good enough for a start until upgrading everything else.
        Interesting. Wish I had known this the other day because I was ripping my doors apart, lol. I'll have to look into that because right now I'd like to not have to spend the money. I am an audiophile and love music and want the best quality but I'd like to get my trukputer up and running first before investing in upgraded audio technology. What type of harness would you be talking about if I already had an amp existing in my truck? Just to go from RCA to Headphone Jacks? If that's the case it should be no problem at all.
        Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

if your truck has the seperate stock amp, you should be able to find the appropriate harness here. just make sure it says "amplifier integration harness". basically instead of going directly from the headunit to the amp through proprietary connections, that harness will bypass the headunit and give you RCA connections which can easily be converted to a headphone jack either through rewiring or a simple RCA to 1/8" converter.
          Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

Originally posted by Vchat20
            if your truck has the seperate stock amp, you should be able to find the appropriate harness here. just make sure it says "amplifier integration harness". basically instead of going directly from the headunit to the amp through proprietary connections, that harness will bypass the headunit and give you RCA connections which can easily be converted to a headphone jack either through rewiring or a simple RCA to 1/8" converter.
            Alright yea, that's what I had figured. Thanks for the link. I have a lot of experience changing cable ends, seems like I do it all the time! I'll have to go searching for that amp this weekend. Thanks for the input and hopefully saving me some $$$!!!
            Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

FYI. The amps that are built into the door speakers is a kidney shaped black box bolted to a flange coming off of the speaker magnet. If it is in the dash I would start right behind the glove box and it won't look like a standard amp with RCA jacks. It will have a wiring harness connected to it.
              Rick S.

XP Pro SP2, Soyo P4RC350 MB, Nvidia FX5200, 320W PS, Inverter & uSDC20D, 2.4GHz CeleronD320, 512MB DDR, 30GB 3.5", Pioneer 106s Slot DVD, Linksys WMP54G WiFi, Lilliput 7" & 4" TFT LCD, Zippy EL610 Keyboard, Touchpad, Garmin GPS V

Comment

Originally posted by strohmrs
                FYI. The amps that are built into the door speakers is a kidney shaped black box bolted to a flange coming off of the speaker magnet. If it is in the dash I would start right behind the glove box and it won't look like a standard amp with RCA jacks. It will have a wiring harness connected to it.
                Alright good to know, I'll take a peek in the door this weekend and around the dash and see what I can find. Thanks again for the pointer
                Dak TruckPuter:

Comment

Working...
                X