Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me Why this won't work (TouchScreens)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me Why this won't work (TouchScreens)

I have looked at Touchscreens designed for cars and they are too pricey for my budget. I saw that standard 10.4 " LCDs with touch screen capabilities run for 125 - 150 USD. Tell me why I can't just buy one of these, wire it and mount it in my dash?

I may already know the answer.... I live in Cincinnati ohio, where the lowest lows are 0 F and the highest highs are 100 F. Will these temps damage a non-auto-approved Monitor, like a xenarc?

I searched the newbs thread and the input devices thread for an answer to this problem. First hand experience would be helpful

Thanks
    newb
    drew
    My OLD carputer page
    My NEW carPC

Via Epia M10000, 512 PC2100, Opus 150, 8" lilly touch, 320 GB 7200 WD Caviar

first you have to know if they have a vga controller or not. If they dont, forget it, its not worth the cost and hassle trying to find a controler that works. Second you need to find out what voltage they run off and if you can get this voltage from your standard PSU.
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

Comment

If you know what you're doing you can do anything. People had screens before the lilliput's and xenarcs.. And you can get better quality that way too with a decent LCD panel. But as Nic says you need to know about powering it, VGA controller cards if needed.

Oh, and of course if you are thinking of a standard DVD car screen etc... They are usually composite-in and provide a ***** picture. Liliiput/Xenarc are designed for in-car use by the way.

Oh you searched Newbie and Input devices... There is a forum in here called "LCD/Display" by the way!
      Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
      Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

also, don't assume that all LCDs are the same... just look at laptops, the degree of quality change varies from model to model, brand to brand... the success of the Xenarc and Lilli's is partially due to the size (approximately identical to a double din car stereo), but the rest can be attributed to the off axis viewing angles, the brightness, the stability (no voltage regulation required)

most people will tell you to skimp on anything but the screen... I have had a $100 LCD and the Xenarc 7TSV (current)... and there is absolutely no comparison...
        EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Ok, so i really don't want to spend more than 500 USD total. I was thinking about a Via Epia motherboard, 120 gig hd, 200 w snap on mini 12 V Power supply, with an ITPS. If I end up spending more money on the monitor, how can i make everything else cheaper. Seems like everone here goes top of the line on everything. My goal is an 120 Gig MP3 player that plugs into the existing head unit via the CD changer aux connector.
          What if i just got a mothedboard, processor and ram from a pull from a old p3 system. to me the most important parts in this order would be:

1. power system (I DON'T WANT DEAD CAR BATTERIE)
          2. Monitor ( has to be touch screen
          3. HDD size ( can get 120 for 60 bucks thats real cheap)
          4. lastly processor and mobo ( i just want the bare minimum to run everything else)

now the question is tell me why i can use a pull from a ****tay system
          My OLD carputer page
          My NEW carPC

Comment

"Seems like everone here goes top of the line on everything."

Sorry dude. The cold reality of it is that most of us would rather NOT have spent as much money on our systems. But once we got into it, we weren't satisfied with the poor quality or poor implementation of the cheaper components.

Sure you can go with an inexpensive display, like the ones that only display TV resolution. Just be aware that you're display will NOT look like a computer. It will look like a PC plugged into a TV but smaller! Go ahead, plug your current home PC into your TV and see how crappy it looks. Then imagine it shrunk down to 7 to 10 inches!

The thing is: a carputer CAN be done for less than $500, but would you be happy with what you had when you're done? Is it worth spending $500 to find out?

An option you may want to explore is to scrounge components for everything else in the PC - except the display and the power supply. There are a lot of people throwing away PC's and PC parts every day. You don't need top of the line processor and all that to do a carputer. Save your cash for the two most specialized and expensive parts of the carputer: display and power.

One of the big traps you can fall into with the carputer is size. Small is expensive. An EPIA motherboard is usually half-again or double the price of a comparable microATX motherboard. Slim line optical drives are twice as much as full size. Etc. etc. etc. Once you get past the idea of having a mini-tower in your trunk, you can save yourself a lot of cash.
            So far:
            M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

I have a 'low end' system... Celeron 300a from intel that is a P1 era CPU with an old smal MB that has integrated vid/sound.... my whole set up was less than 400usd
              TruckinMP3
              D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Ok if i buy this set up i can afford the Xenarc TS monitor. Is this a bad idea to buy this combo here. The processor uses about 20 W of power. Will it have what i need to run a Xenarc 7"? This would be the first pruchase towards my carputer. Everthing else would be bought to fit this step

Tell me if this is a bad idea
                My OLD carputer page
                My NEW carPC

Comment

....what are you gonna use to power that computer. its got a ac power supply. if you can an inverter you can feed off of the existing psu to power the xenarc.
                  PC Components:
                  Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                  My work log

Comment

120GB of mp3s?? that's not realistic... I have a 20GB Lyra and it 10 GB of music and 10 GB of movies and I don't have enough time to listen or watch it all... my 60GB in the car is MORE than enough... you can always add later... my point, use a HD that you or your friend have laying around...

I have the new M1 ATX power supply ($90) and an Epia 800MHz ($300 ebay w/512mb, 60GB, old Morex PS, DVD slimline), it works like a charm, it handles shutdown, boot and power dips... I splurged on the 700TSV because I had a screen before, video is fine on a $100 screen, but not from the side, top or bottom, TEXT IS UNBEARABLE...

ya gotta pay to play, but this isn't Ferrari or Porsche budgets... $1000 for capabilities far exceeding anything they have for $2000 at BestBuy... justifiable to me..
                    EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moneyfink
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Ok if i buy this set up i can afford the Xenarc TS monitor. Is this a bad idea to buy this combo here. The processor uses about 20 W of power. Will it have what i need to run a Xenarc 7"? This would be the first pruchase towards my carputer. Everthing else would be bought to fit this step

Tell me if this is a bad idea
                      getting sound in your existing stereo will cost ya maybe $40 to 50... you'd still need a power supply or an inverter $50 or so... long video cable $20 to 30... USB extension cable $15... random power wires $10 to 20... and so on

Comment

I want to go bigger than 120 gb, but i don't want to mess with the 137 gb barrier and old computers. I was gonna take the old power supply off of the ebay computer i was looking at, and get a Dc power supply off of here.

If you think 120 gigs are too much, you obviously haven't seen my computer set up.
                        My OLD carputer page
                        My NEW carPC

Comment

Working...
                        X