No announcement yet.

Just saying hello...

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saying hello...

Afternoon all, been watching the site for some time, thought I'd finally sign up.

Despite living in England I've got a '94 Golf Cabrio, which is getting more and more modified by the day!

I'm in the planning stage at the moment of my carpc install. As usual I've got the screen debate happening. Xenarc is look favourite as I've heard it deals better with with direct sunlight (I'll have the top down a lot in summer), but I can't find any info on the net about removing the LCD from the case. 2nd choice is the LinITX screen, but again no info on de-casing it.

No doubt I'll be posting more when other ideas and questions come to me.

Hi DropTop,

welcome to the forums!

"It does not understand, if it does not ride."

M10000, 512 Mb, 2,5" 40G, Slim DVD, Opus 90W, Xenarc 7", Leadtek 9532 GPS,
    RoadRunner, MapMonkey, Pioneer HU, Pioneer 4 ch 400W, Kappa 6.5, Basslink X 200W

Welcome to the forum! glad to have you
      S60 Install

Welcome Matt

Pull up a keyboard and enjoy.

Hi and welcome. I have documented the disassembly of my Xenarc 8" with TS here: Xenarc 8" disassembly. There are more pics in the "screen gallery" section. I understand that the 7" is similar but I'm not certain of that.

Buy the Xenarc. You'll be much happier. If you can't see your screen, your computer is useless. On the other hand, if you go cheap, have trouble, and have to buy a replacement, it will be far more expensive as if you had bought the Xenarc in the first place.

Depends on your budget. Obviously, lots of folks have gone Lilli with no problem but lot of folks have had problems and many of them have had to replace failed screens. On the other hand, just because you bought a Xenarc doesn't disqualify you from screwing that up, too and then you're out even more $$$.

Best of luck and welcome.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Ahh just take it apart best way to learn!
            Co Develper of A.I.M.E.E Automotive Intelligent Multimedia Entertainment Engine

Welcome to the forum Matt. Hopefully this place will be a great resource for you and your project. Cheers!

Cheers for the kind words people. As I'm sure with most people, budget is a problem, but instead of skimping on the components, I'm just going to get a few bits at a time. I think it's going to have be a Xenarc up front - 7" version, unless it's too big. I've got the measurements for the Lilliput panel and it will fit at the top of my dash if I block the vents and remove the head unit.

Power supply is going to be an Opus with remote output - not yet sure if I need the 150W or not though, but there's not much difference in price.

PC will be my Compaq Deskpro EN SFF 450mhz to start with, as it's sitting here doing very little. It's nothing special but should do the job. If I get it working properly, and am happy with the results, then an EPIA job will no doubt make it's way into a custom enclosure.

Audio is in progress at the moment. I'm running a mixture of JL Audio, Dragster, Kenwood, Pioneer and JVC kit at the moment, and the install is very nearly done. It's pretty good - not massive SPL but pretty good quality.

I'll start posting pictures as soon as the first bit of kit arrives.

Originally posted by DropTop

Power supply is going to be an Opus with remote output - not yet sure if I need the 150W or not though, but there's not much difference in price.

PC will be my Compaq Deskpro EN SFF 450mhz to start with, as it's sitting here doing very little.

Compaq has a proprietry PSU and will not work off a standard ATX PSU, therefore you will not be able to use the OPUS on it. If you want to use it to start with, you will have to use it with an inverter and then at a later date get a standard board and use that with the OPUS.

That's basically what I have had to do.

Arse. Cheers for the info mate. Don't really want to spend any cash on interim solutions, so I'll hold out for the EPIA.

I can continue with my plan to use the compaq as a wireless MP3 server for the house then...

hi droptop,

I have post the details of fitting a M1-ATX to a compaq en sff pc on this forum. may be of help to you

Car: Megane II Sport
                      PC: Compaq Deskpro EN SFF P3 450Mhz
                      PSU: M1-ATX PSU
                      MONITOR: Lilliput 7" TS
                      WiFi: 56g WIFi USB
                      GPS: BU303 GPS
                      AUDIO: VRNX001
                      FRONTEND: AshInCar
                      SATNAV: MapMonkey & D3

Hello! Welcome to the forums.
                        Zen Fat Loss