Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hullo from a Greenhorn

Hullo everyone,

I'm very new with this carputer business, but have been thinking of something like this for awhile now. Anyway, I must say that I've been completely bowled over by the stuff that you've put in your respective cars.

I've got some newby questions to ask:-

1. There seems to be a lot of discussion with motherboards, controllers, power supplies etc. In other words, most people here build their own carputer CPU and I was wondering why this is so. Isn't it much easier to use a laptop as the CPU instead?

2. Has anyone tried to do streaming media over a wired/wireless network, for inside the vehicle I mean?

3. Considering the electrics involved, would there be any special wiring mods that need to be done on the car?

Well, thats it for now. I hope to get involved with this soon, but I'm still working on the tech specs for what i hope would one day be a proper carputer.

Thanks very much.

Alfabob
    Malaysia
    -Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1982 with 1992 Alfa 75 2.0 Twin Spark Engine-

I prefere to build my own simply because its cheaper and how i want it, Lappies are expensive and not easily upgradable,
    just remember is ur friend
    Still Planning and Scavenging Parts ------Software-----and anything else i can lay my hands on!!! :)

Acquired a Toshiba Satelite 4000CDT
    HDD`s ****ed new one on way! 30gb Toshiba.

Comment

Originally posted by alfabob
      1. There seems to be a lot of discussion with motherboards, controllers, power supplies etc. In other words, most people here build their own carputer CPU and I was wondering why this is so. Isn't it much easier to use a laptop as the CPU instead?
      Laptops have two inherint problems in a car:
      1. They're not easily upgradable.
      2. Turning power on & off is a pain in the ***, whether you do it manually or rig some method of auto power-on.

2. Has anyone tried to do streaming media over a wired/wireless network, for inside the vehicle I mean?
      I'm sure it's been tried. The issue is having a constant internet connection to be able to receive streaming media. WiFi would be great if you're parked at your local Starbucks where there's a WiFi hotspot.
      You might try the connection through a cellphone, but I don't know if there's enough bandwidth to effectively receive a stream.

3. Considering the electrics involved, would there be any special wiring mods that need to be done on the car?
      No more than wiring an amplifier in your car.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Hi Bravo, and Darquey..

Thanks for your replies. It's nice to be in a forum where there's people who actually reply to you.

A follow up question to Darquey...

1. Why would I need an amp? I thought an Inverter would be a more obvious answer.

2. As for media streaming, I really meant was from the CPU to other terminals within the car. An idea that I have is to have Media CPU which could stream media through a preferably wireless connection to multiple terminals within the car. On the low end, the terminal users will only get to access the same media at the same time, but on the high end, individual terminal users could select what media they like. Think of it like those entertainment consoles on intercontinental flights. The terminals could be laptops but most probably something like a palmtop of some kind, maybe an IPAQ.

The WAN connection is not to big a problem here in Malaysia. We've got the EDGE network in big citites, and they charge a flat rate of USd 25 per month for unlimited usage. Alternatively, 3G will be available soon but is charged on a utilisation basis. A 3rd option is through wireless broadband, similar to WiMAX.
        Malaysia

Comment

. Why would I need an amp? I thought an Inverter would be a more obvious answer.
          No, no. He meant that modding the wiring to your car is no more difficult than installing an amplifier. He didn't mean you need to install an amplifier.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Hullo BugByte,

Thanks for the clarification!!! And your Bug is fantastic mate. Good on ya!
            Malaysia

Comment

Originally posted by alfabob
              2. As for media streaming, I really meant was from the CPU to other terminals within the car. An idea that I have is to have Media CPU which could stream media through a preferably wireless connection to multiple terminals within the car. On the low end, the terminal users will only get to access the same media at the same time, but on the high end, individual terminal users could select what media they like. Think of it like those entertainment consoles on intercontinental flights. The terminals could be laptops but most probably something like a palmtop of some kind, maybe an IPAQ.
              That would be awesome!!
              My first carPC!
              MP3/CD player
              Celeron 633MHz - 10GB Seagate - 64MB PC100 - Win XP

Soon to actually find its way into the car!

Comment

Isn't it!!

Thinking about this very very hard as my next mode of transport would probably be an MPV of some kind. Then, I'll have enough cabin space to put in a proper server of some kind, and more space than you can shake a stick at!!!
                Malaysia

Comment

Working...
                X