Rikaline GPS off..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rikaline GPS off..

I have the Rikaline 6010 GPS Receiver and am running Routis. The GPS is located right under the rear window, and gets a clear view of the sky. However, it looks as if I am 10-20 feet off of my current position. Anything I can do to help it besides move the receiver to the front of the car? Thanks!

Is it always off? Or intermittenly?

Does it show that you are off even when you are driving on the highway?
    EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

try move it to the front of the vehicle as a test and see if that improves matters, a gps receivers accuracy is dependent on a few things, some of those being basic mathematical "triangulation" of the signal, so if the roof of your car is shielding it from the satellite "in front" of it, it will do its best using the remaing satellites, the reason I say this is my gps used to be mounted magentically on my trunk lid, this was 100% accurate, now I moved it inside my plastic rear wing and its mounted at an angle (and doesnt get a 100% clear sky view) my accuracy is off a lttle bit compared to before the relocation

Try it you'll like it !
      Nano ITX / 512 MB / 60 GB / Panasonic slot load / M1-ATX / Bu303 / Sound blaster 24 / PPi amps / rockford sub

Comment

Wait, it is mounted insdie your trunk or outside? I don't want to mount it outside because it'll look awkward. I'll try moving it to the front of the car. Also, it is ALWAYS off, even on the freeway. Hmmmm

Comment

Wait, I think I had understood it falsely. I had thought that it's showing that you were off the street you were driving on.

So it shows that you are on the street but it's running behind a little bit. If that's the case then I experience the same thing. My GPS antenna is also located in the back of car. Have been thinking about moving the antenna to front of car but not sure if it's effective. I compared it with my PDA (also has Routis) but the darn thing also was running behind.

Edited: the antenna instead of to antenna
          EPIA Nehemiah M10k, M1-ATX, 20GB 4200 RPM 2.5", 256MB RAM, Win XP Home, Gyration RF Keyboard & Mouse, Zoltrix Nightingale Optical 4.1 PCI Sound Card, Lilliput 619GL-70NP, XM-PCR w/ optical upgrade, Garmin GPS-25LVS, Microsoft MN-710 USB Wireless NIC

Comment

Yeah, damnit!! So it's always giong to be running behind? I might try to move it to the front, but I highly doubt it.

Comment

Although skeptic, I'll move that antenna to the front of the car this weekend and see if there are any improvements. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

I can't substatiate this, it's only rumor, but I've heard that the rear defroster in most rear windshields screws up the accuracy of your GPS signal. Moving it to the front will avoid that issue.

Of course, you may run into problems moving it to the front because of electromagnetic interferance from your flat panel display (assuming that you have one).

So, then you can put it on the outside of your vehicle, but then you have to deal with weather, moisture, and thieves.

Isn't GPS fun?
                So far:
                M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

That's why I like my OEM GPS so much. The receiver stays inside the car and all I need to do is just to move the antenna around. The antenna has a magnetic bottom and is weather-proofed . Not burglary-proofed, though. At least if it gets stolen then I just need to buy my self a new antenna.

Comment

Update: I repositioned my antenna on to the front side of the car roof. No difference, Routis was still running a little behind. I thought about repositioning it on to the hood but the cable didn't reach.

Comment

If you're having problems with it on the roof, it's not going to be better on the hood. Just make sure there's nothing in the way on the roof that would block the signal, like a roof rack or something.

My GPS went for about a day with the signal being about 1 city block off. I noticed that I was getting only 3 sats. I moved it around a bit, and finally gave up. I unplugged it over night and when I booted up in the morning it was OK.
                      So far:
                      M10000 Nehemiah, 1Gb RAM, Opus 90w PS, Buffalo Tech WLI2-USB2-G54, 160 Gb HDD, GlobalSat BU-353 GPS, iGuidance, Zippy EL-610, Panasonic CW8123B Slim Slot CDRW/DVD, 10" Lilliput, Sony XA-300, Sony CDX-MP30 Head, OBD-II

Comment

It's not necessarily 'having problems'. Just running behind a little bit, not even a city block behind like you had. Also, no roof rack.

You got three satellites and that's not good enough? Some of 'em didn't have good enough signal strength probably?

Comment

Working...
                        X