A Newbie Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Newbie Question

While I have no problem with the 'puter aspect of this sort of thing i'm completely clueless as far as cars go.

I tried using the search to find an answer and some googling, but nothing came up that was exactly what I was looking for.

Basically, I've heard (and read here)that leaving the cd player running, or even a carputer while the engine is off will drain the battery.

My question is, why? Obviously batteries drain when being used, duh, but why isn't it a problem when the engine is running.

Also, how long will it take for a typical carputer to drain the battery running at ~60w load in the above scenario.

One more quick question...from reading this board an engine crank is the pc rebooting when the engine gets turned on (and/or off?). From reading the description of the M1-ATX PSU, I'm gathering that there's a circuit in there that prevents this from happening, correct?

As you can see I know nothing about cars. Doh!

Thanks in advance for any help, it's appreciated.

Originally posted by TormentInFire
    Basically, I've heard (and read here)that leaving the cd player running, or even a carputer while the engine is off will drain the battery.

My question is, why? Obviously batteries drain when being used, duh, but why isn't it a problem when the engine is running.
    Cars have alternators that work when the engine is running to recharge the battery.
    Spent so far: $1,755
    Check Out My Work Log for Specs/Pics
    CarPC Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!].....Installation[---------+].....Pastrami Progress[!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
    Don't mess with Texas.
    It's not nice to pick on retards!

Comment

Originally posted by edrex
      Cars have alternators that work when the engine is running to recharge the battery.
      Makes sense. I figured it was something like that.

It's not really that big a problem for me since from experience, a normal stock cd stereo can run for quite a while before the battery dies, but i'm afraid a carputer will drain it much faster.

I wouldn't be able to justify spending 500$+ on this if I wouldn't be able to sit in the car when idle and listen to some music for 20-30 mins if I wanted to.

Comment

add a second battery

Comment

I've run mine for an hour or more with the engine off. You can do 25 minutes if you don't have a giant power sucking PC.

By the way, if you're battery is in poor condition, this won't apply!
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Ah okay, It's a lot better than I thought then. I'm planning to run an Epia M1000, so it won't be consuming much power.

Thanks a lot for all your help!

Comment

That's what I've got. You should do just fine with it.

Edit: if you use a Carnetix or Opus, they'll shut you down when voltage gets low and you ought to still be able to start the car.
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:

Comment

I'm pretty sure the M1-ATX does that too, right? I'm on a budget and the Opus is a bit pricy

Comment

Sounds like it does. I'm not too familiar with them but I read the description and it seems to fit the bill.
                  I'm not certain how good a regulator it is, although it can take a variety of voltage, so it probably would work. Others would have to weigh in on whether an additional regulator is needed or not.
                  Want to:

Comment

Working...
                  X