Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waterproof PC

hi everyone,

it sounded pretty noobish, so i thought id be better off here rather than the fabrication thread.... anyway

im putting a PC in a 1986 hilux single cab that i tafe offroad a fair bit, including going through the PC's worst enemy, WATER!! anyone got suguestions on both where to mount it and how to keep it water tight?

if it helps, here is all the components i will be using

Motherboard:gigabyte socket A full atx
    cpu: amd xp 2000+
    HDD: not aquired yet(deciding to get a 2.5" or be cheap and get thestandard)
    PSU:240volt 250Watt atx psu
    inverter:500 watt peak, 300 watt continuous
    screen:21cm touchscreen (unknown details scabbed from work) but it needs 24v

i think that is everything i can tell, if not ask away and thanks for the help
    New carputer install starting soon!
    Project status: 0% still in the planning stages
    My Crappy site

Here's the main problem I see: airflow.
    You could possibly make ducts up near the top of the cab, but that would reduce the effectiveness of the fans quite a bit.

Progress: On hold while I pay off my new PowerBook :D
    Part List:
    VIA MII10000 - 512MB - 20Gig 2.5" - Rikaline 6010 - 7" Lilliput - CNX-P1260 - Alpine 4ch Amp - 4 Gauge wire and fused distrobution block.

Comment

Good point about airflow. It wouldnt be hard to build a waterproof case, but cooling it could be tough.
      Maybe a waterproof enclosure connected to your vehicle AC/ventilation system?!?
      My first carPC!
      MP3/CD player
      Celeron 633MHz - 10GB Seagate - 64MB PC100 - Win XP

Soon to actually find its way into the car!

Comment

Make it water cooled. Heat would then be transferred via a radiator, so the case can be sealed.

Comment

agreed on the watercooling part. just run the radiator outside of the case and seal the case up tight around all the plumbing and you should have no coooling problems and the case stays watertight.
          Your everyday carpc geek and tech guru at your service. *bow*

Comment

i see, watercooling, creat idea, yes however it is merely a single cab ute... i have only the space under the driver and passenger seats, and last time i checked, water cooled systems need a dicient ammount of room for the water resiviour and the pump, not to mention most water blocks that go on the CPUs have the pipes leading perpindicular....straight up from the CPU, meaning it will have to be a tall box... unless anyone can suguest a small system\unit?... ill start googleing

*edit*
            after a look at some sites, pccasegear.com in particular it is looking like water is the way to go.... my only concerns are both cost and power requirements, concidering i have a 250watt PSU and a inverter designed for 300 watts..... unless those pumps can be taken off of the car's 12v battery?... ahoy!
            My Crappy site

Comment

Holy cow! A resourceful newbie that can use !!

(okay, okay, that's unfair to the many perfectly capable newbies out there, but it's invariably the ones that can't find anything themselves that pepper the forum with the same 5 questions )

I also think it's wonderfully ironic that to defeat
              Originally posted by Phobos0001
              the PC's worst enemy, WATER!!
              you're likely going to be using water.

Comment

i know this is dumb but mount the pc on the ceiling?
                1990 Jeep Cherokee
                2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

i asked a common question now? i diddnt think many people worried about water proofing their carputers, the only other threads i found where ones asking questions about water cooling....although my searching skills are quite poor

mounting the PC on the celing is not a dumb idea at all, infact one of the people i go 4wding with has a DVD player & screen up there, however that is a 80 series cruiser, a single cab you dont have much head room, and even the landcruiser's driver smacks his skull into the overhead box when offroading, but of no other soloution presents itself, i may have to to just that, or work out something in the tray that i can unplug and plug in easily
                  My Crappy site

Comment

Originally posted by Phobos0001
                    i asked a common question now? i diddnt think many people worried about water proofing their carputers, the only other threads i found where ones asking questions about water cooling....although my searching skills are quite poor
                    No, no, you didn't ask a common question at all. I wasn't being sarcastic, I was being impressed . You did good

Comment

oh, ok thanks for the compliment mushin
                      My Crappy site

Comment

yea, if you have the head room its not dumb but i was thinking like what you are saying about hitting your head haha.
                        1990 Jeep Cherokee
                        2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                        2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

im not sure about the car design but you do have a glove box no? or even inside the dash. maby behind the stereo. just some ideas. under the driver/passenger seat.
                          Crouching Tiger, Drunken Kitty

Comment

i say make a plexi case and seal some ventilation ductiing to it. Then pipe the ducting to a place in the cab where its cool and water free.

Comment

i rekon i will trial an empty box with some paper in it next time i go out with some sealed ducting going upto the rear windscreen, if it worx ill do that coz it is cheap, if not then ill get one of those water cooling systems and put that in place of the centre console box thingey, i dont need the room coz i have a glove box and a huge tray
                              My Crappy site

Comment

Working...
                              X