Overhead Laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhead Laptop?

Noob here. I used to customize installations as a kid. Back when we only put radio head units, amps, crossovers, and speakers into our vehicles. Now, I am trying to customize my Chevy Avalanche.

The question I would like to ask the experts (ive researched for 3 weeks now on these forums and others with no definitive answers) is, Has anyone tried to mount a laptop *the whole thing* upside down in like an overhead console unit? I was thinking this would be the perfect place for an mp3 carputer.

1. There would be no fancy rewiring of the lcd unit, requiring an awefully expensive controller card and inverter.
    2. You could add USB devices as seen in other laptop/pc carputers.
    3. Wireless built right in.
    4. You can invert the image using 3rd party software or graphics drivers that support it.

Now if it's not feasible to do so, let me know. I would look into just using a 15 inch tft LCD with custom beszle and car puter.

Then I would be willing to trade my laptop for a 7 inch xenart touch panel and some extras.

Can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work. Maybe the CD drive wouldn't work but most laptops have the kind that snaps the CD in, so that might not be a problem.

Biggest problem would be typing upside down, obviously fixable with a second keyboard.

No touch screen and laptop screens aren't very bright so it would be hard to see.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

yeah. i guess that would be an issue as well. Brightness.. But while plugged up, it looks pretty good.

As far as typing, would get rid of the keyboard and use USB wireless. I would mount the laptop in such away, all you would see is the buttons required to turn it on.

Comment

Anyone try this at all?

And about the touch screen. I would do an in dash 7" or 8" touch screen as a 2ndary monitor if I were to use the laptop.

The reason I wanted to do this, was due to the rising difficulty of fabricating a solution for my 15" LCD screen..

I could build a carpc, add the 7" or 8" touch screen. Create an overhead console unit that houses the 15" LCD and its controller card. Wire all of that to either my head unit or the amp for 7.1 channel inputs. But I am very NEW at the whole fiberglass bondo fabo scene.

Decisions, Decisions..

Any good Fabricators in the greater Cleveland Ohio area???

Comment

It would be hard to mount the screen so it would close, so the screen would be in the way of seeing the rear view mirror or out the pass side of the front window. Put the laptop any where under the seat under glove compartment (thats where mine is) and put a touch screen some where.

Comment

I signed up just to answer this question. I was thinking about doing the same because a 15 inch screen sound hot--and I won't have to buy another screen or additional computer parts like a motherboard or something.

The only problem I can think of is the heat. My Dell got very hot just sitting there. Creating a recess in the roof of the car would cover up the vent. I guess the recess would cover up the usb ports etc as well, now that I think about it.

But I think that would be the most important problem you would run into.

Comment

As always, its too bad you can't just pump video into a laptop LCD. I am typing into my VAIO with a very nice 10.4" LCD that would be great mounted upside down. And I know these guys go for around $200 on eBay. Oh well..

Comment

If you wanted to make it a little more professional looking, and make it permantly installed (doesn't say), then take the head linner out and make a thin say wooden base that you could attach to it some how. with this base you could cut some holes and use two small processor fans to pull more heat off the bottom(top?). Depending on how much room you have between the the roof and ceilling you could cut a hole in the head linner and recess it some.....

Don't know how easy or what this might look like but it's just my thoughts... Good luck..
                RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
                Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                RRMedia
                RRExtended
                DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Bear in mind that if the rotation is done using software then any viseo playback may suck, it's just too much work.

Comment

Or could you put the screen apart and modify it slightly by turning the actual LCD 180 degrees and put it back together...lots of probs i would think but another solution?
                    RideRunner...The #1 FE, PERIOD.

Current Project: DFXVoice [v1.0 Released]
                    Next in line: RRMedia v2.0

DFX 5.1.1 Skin
                    Appstore Link

My RideRunner Plugins
                    RRMedia
                    RRExtended
                    DFXVoice

"There are no bugs - only undocumented features."

Comment

Heh. I have a laptop here in 50 bits that was heading in that route, I suspect it may never work again. It's amazing how they squeeze everything in there...!

Comment

The only problem I can think of is the heat
                        And its a big one - Laptops get rid of heat threw the case and the
                        fans so the bottom has to be setting on something that conducts heat
                        and the fans need to breathe

I would put a cheap computer in the trunk -- and get a cheap LCD
                        I think your going to have more trouble than its worth -

My Dell Inspiron 5000 has a "Mobility P" video chip and there are
                        drivers from ATI that allow you to rotate the image and seams
                        to use hardware, so no slow down - I dont use them because
                        of DVD playback problems - it would give a BSOD and reboot
                        but its a old laptop like from 1998 - so most newer laptops
                        with ATI or Nvidia video should have it

its too bad you can't just pump video into a laptop LCD
                        you can - they sell USB video capture things and pcmcia video capture
                        cards - and even have laptops with video capture

I watch TV in my car using a like 5 year old USB tv tuner from ATI
                        its in a desktop in my trunk - but it also works just fine on a laptop

If you just want to watch video and not record, a old P2 laptop
                        would work nice

You would have lots of problems pumping video into a just the
                        Laptop LCD tho

Comment

I did one once, just like your saying, upside down & rotated through the video driver, was a fujitsu with a 10.4" touchscreen. it worked o.k, but the 10.4 was too big kinda, a 15" would be too much I think...as far as brightness belive it or not in a place like this it wasn't much of a problem because the sun could never hit it directly up this high...that was one of the best things of that install......it was a pIII 600 so heat wasn't a huge problem, although I did have to play with airflow a little. it was a really complicated install though, with the laptop on tracks to slide back, the screen retracted into the front of the headliner most of the way....all in all it worked out well, but despite this I would recommend against this as there are better ways to install, I started out thinking it would be easy & it turned out to be way to labor intensive, I wouldn't do it again........
                          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
                          X