how to use my laptop for carpc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to use my laptop for carpc

I have a laptop computer and i have a 10.4" datalux screen. when i plug the screen into the laptop i get a picture, but when i close the laptop the picture on the screen goes black. can anyone help on how to stop that so that i can get a picture while the laptop is close. the sreen is touchscreen by the way.

If your running XP, in the power options, you can choose
    how ur laptop will react whether it's running on battery power or plugged in...
    I'm not sure if you set the "do nothing" when lid is closed will allow it to keep running or not..
    all laptops are different... My solution was to remove the screen and sell it on ebay for $100
    Others around here have either opened the laptop and disabled lid shut switch or sanded off
    the little pin that sticks up on some laptops to trigger this...

Hope that helps!
    CarPuter: Dell P3-500 Laptop; D-Link WiFi; Deluo GPS; D-Link Radio; iMac DVD w/ ide2usb
    Audio: Audigy 2 NX; Kicker KX700.5 amp; 20w center amp; Kicker L7 10" Sub
    Display: Lilliput 7" TouchScreen
    CarPuter Install

Comment

I have a Dell and when I boot it in the laptop docking station, it's closed and the picture goes to the monitor. That means there's some kind of recognition that it's docked that overrides the switch inside.

On the other hand, ripping the screen off and going with it that way sounds easier!
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

dont rip of ur screen i use my dell laptop in my car.... all u do is when ur about to close the monitor hit FN + F5 and it will switch to secondary monitor. than close the lid.... whn u close the lid the screen will go away for like a sec and come back just that easy

Comment

most laptops have a similar function ... on compaq's it's usually Fn+F4 ...

There may be more than one mode ... for example the compaqs flip between LCD only, LCD and Mon Out, and Mon Out Only.
          My JeepPC Install

"there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"it's been agreed the whole world stinks so no one's taking showers anymore"

Comment

Check power settings in the control panel, there is a setting for what the computer does when you close the lid make sure it says "do nothing". It works for my Dell.

Comment

I've got the same setting on my Dell laptop, too. You just never know what you'll learn on this forum...
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
              X