Noob question about power supplies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question about power supplies

So I've been reading these forums nonstop for the past couple days and definately want to put a carputer in my ride. I'm a bit confused on the power supply situation. I've heard Opus is the best in terms of compatibility with a car, as in the computer won't restart during cranking. But I was thinking about using a power inverter for my car, so I can plug the computer, playstation, and maybe something else into one unit and because it's generally cheaper. My main question is, do I still need some sort of power supply for the computer so it will be able to be plugged in to a regular 3 prong outlet like the inverter will have? I know that when you build home computers you still need a power supply in them. So is that what the opus is, just a power supply for the computer so that is all you will need to plug it in to the car's wiring? And will I still need some other sort of cheap power supply in order to plug the computer into the 3-prong plug on the inverter because I got an inverter instead of Opus?

Yes.

To everything.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

lol sweet. So all I need is a motherboard, cheap *** $20 power supply, and the inverter to get things going in my car?

Comment

well, yes but having had an Opus, pw120, morex, and inverter setup, I can definitively say that the opus is the way to go
        I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Opus in addition to an inverter?

Comment

an opus doesnt need an inverter. Neither do any of the others I mentioned. They're all DC computer power supplies which means they run directly off the car's 12v electrical system
            I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

I know that, but with regards to my playstation, I will still need the inverter right?

Comment

oh, yeah
                I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Will the stock battery in my accord handle it? The computer, monitor, dvd player, and playstation with the inverter? I already have a 750W stereo with a 1F capacitor and the charging system handles it fine.

Comment

I'd worry more about the alternator than the battery.

That having been said, I also wouldnt want to sit in the car without the engine running using all that studd for more than 15 minutes or so.

You could always add a second battery. I have one in my saturn.
                    I'M DEBT FREE!!

Comment

Ok, so I already have a standard size dvd-rom drive since I swapped it out of my home pc that I want to use with a mini-board. Are there any small cases that can fit the board and a standard size optical drive?

Comment

Working...
                      X