A few newbie questions!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few newbie questions!!!

Hi i've just joined the forum and i need help with a few matter's that are, i'm sure simple problems i hope.

Right here goes.

My system:

Via epia M6000
    Fujitsu 40gig Hdd 2.5"
    Sony DVD Slimline
    Morex 12v 55w

Everything is plugged in nicley, no probs there! (I hope)

1). Do i need to change some jumpers or somthing for the Hard disk?

2). Which pins do i use to turn the thing on?

3). Do i need some LED across a jumper for diagnostics?

4). When i do finally get it switched on, What do i do? (load windows etc?)

5). Should i smack myself with a big smelly fish and buy a nice 500 piece jigsaw to amuse my time with?

Thanks for any help guy's!

I know i'm as intelligent as 2 short planks!
    Another quality post from Dyl.

1) no, but make sure you have a 2.5" EIDE adapter

2)

3) no

4) It's a computer. Do what you would normally do (hint: load windows first)

5) That would definitely be cheaper and less frustrating.
    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
    I'M DEBT FREE!!
    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

So i just link over the two pins? is it just a pulse it needs to switch on or does it need a fixed supply?

Never built a pc in my life and i decided to start with a carputer!

I was always the kid in school drowning in the deep end of the swimming pool!

Any good links to web page dedicated to building thes e type of computers? Stage by stage?
      Another quality post from Dyl.

Comment

I had the same problem, man, I feel your pain.
        To turn the computer on the first time, you just have to connect the two pins (6&8, if I remember correctly, but definitely check the manual first) momentarily to get the board to power up. I recommend taknig a normal jumper and sliding it on and off quickly, then going into the bios and setting it to turn off after power loss. That way rather than using the jumper every time, you can just shut down, cut the power to your power supply, and then turn the power back on and it will boot without the jumper trick.
        A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag.

My Ride
        My New Page

Comment

Go to the local computer store and purchase a "front panel extension kit". It will include wires and jumpers for plugging into the "headers" on your motherboard. You really only need the one that extends the power on switch. Read the instructions carefully and connect the switch to the two pins that are for the power on switch. It shouldn't matter which.

Turn the power on for the computer. Press the newly attached power switch. Your computer should start. Make sure your Windows disk is in the CD-ROM drive. Boot from the CD and install Windows. This takes about 90 minutes. After that, you should be able to boot from the hard drive and into Windows. Congrats, you just got started.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
          X