Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm New... Maybe asking an old question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm New... Maybe asking an old question...

    Ok... I'm new here...but toying with the idea of getting MP3's to play in my new '05 Toyota Tacoma...

    Essentially... I don't wanna spend a lot... and looking for a cheap and easy way to play my MP3's that I have on my 80GB external Harddrive... (Ximeta NetDisk 80GB) The Harddrive doesn't need a computer to run...so I figure that all I need is an MP3 player with a "female" USB connector and an FM Transmitter... The only one i have found is an Accessory to a Lexar Jumpdrive... where you can plug in a jumpdrive to suck files out of... BUT... a Jumpdrive is Flash Memory, isn't it? That would probably mean that an 80GB harddisk wouldn't hook to it, i assume? I really don't know... and would LOVE some help!!!

    So... what I am seeking, i guess, is a Stand-Alone MP3 Player with no Internal Memory, that can run MP3's off of an external Hard Drive...

    ANY HELP, PLEASE???!!!!

  • #2
    i have never heard of that...
    2001 Explorer
    Xenarc, Opus 90W, 120 GB HD, Bondo everywhere

    Sold the Explorer...got a 350z

    Comment


    • #3
      look into a HD based head unit .. I thinkt hat would work best for ya..

      but a carPC is so much more fun..
      Shawn



      Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

      Comment


      • #4
        and much more madness.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dallaspunk
          ...The only one i have found is an Accessory to a Lexar Jumpdrive... where you can plug in a jumpdrive to suck files out of... BUT... a Jumpdrive is Flash Memory, isn't it? That would probably mean that an 80GB harddisk wouldn't hook to it, i assume? ...
          Hey, that might actually work. You'd have to figure out how to power the hard drive, but it might just work. How much are those and where can I get one?
          Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
          Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
          I'M DEBT FREE!!
          I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

          Comment


          • #6
            OK... MISSED my point i think... I don't wanna spend $500 or anything... i want a quick and simple solution... I also use the HD for work... so, i'll be pulling it in and out of the truck every day....

            iPods cost less than putting in a Car PC i think...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by wizardPC
              Hey, that might actually work. You'd have to figure out how to power the hard drive, but it might just work. How much are those and where can I get one?
              I got mine at CompUSA... it was $160, but had a $70 rebate... so i got a good deal... you can get the 120GB for under $250 i think...

              SEE... I THOUGHT it was a good idea... anyone else have this idea and actually get it figured out????

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by neon_eddy
                look into a HD based head unit .. I thinkt hat would work best for ya..

                but a carPC is so much more fun..
                Well. I don't want to remove my factory stereo... that is the problem...

                Comment


                • #9
                  OK... new question, then... What is the CHEAPEST that you can get away with putting in a Car PC??? If i really just wanna use it for MP3's.... (and maybe an atlas)... including a screen?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    you can always just get a 100gb mp3 player lol. Well, it's not $500 but it's close... the DMC Xclef 500 is $450ish... http://www.digmind.com/store/index_500.html I can't think of any other options really, but at that cost, you might as well buy a used laptop lol.
                    -GiZak-
                    Carputer Project: 98% Complete!! *tweakin'*
                    Xenarc 7TSV | Opus 150 | Biostar M7NCG400 | Athlon Mobile2200 | Seagate 160Gb | Kingston 2x256mb | BT Holux GR-231 GPS | LiteOn CD-R/DVD| Keyhole Rev. Cam | Zippy Mini-glow Keyboard

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dallaspunk
                      OK... new question, then... What is the CHEAPEST that you can get away with putting in a Car PC??? If i really just wanna use it for MP3's.... (and maybe an atlas)... including a screen?
                      I've got my first carputer still. It's an MSI bookPC: 20GB hard drive, 96mb PC133 RAM, 667mhz Celeron, 2-port serial card, and I'll even throw in a Slot load DVD drive (full sized) for $160 shipped.



                      That, an inverter (~$40), a lilliput ($280), and a GPS unit (~$80) would do what you want to do--it worked for me for years. Come to think of it, I might have my original Serial GPS somewhere around here that I'll throw in for $40.
                      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                      I'M DEBT FREE!!
                      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        oh, and earlier I was referring to the thing that plays MP3s off the flash drive. I already have a USB hard drive
                        Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                        Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                        I'M DEBT FREE!!
                        I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by wizardPC
                          oh, and earlier I was referring to the thing that plays MP3s off the flash drive. I already have a USB hard drive
                          I found that Lexar MP3 player online...

                          http://www.lexar.com/mp3/jg_mp3.html

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dallaspunk
                            OK... MISSED my point i think... I don't wanna spend $500 or anything... i want a quick and simple solution... I also use the HD for work... so, i'll be pulling it in and out of the truck every day....

                            iPods cost less than putting in a Car PC i think...
                            Forget it. You don't want a carputer. Stick with an iPod. It's also easy to remove from the car.
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X