Will the PW 200 M work for my setup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the PW 200 M work for my setup?

Ok i have a slight problem in finding the right power supply. I will be using a p4 2.8c HT processor an ati radeon 9600 pro graphics card and im unsure of the sound card. The motherboard is yet to be decided as well. But it will support raid and i plan on using it. That means dual hard drives a multi card reader and a dvd/rw that all need powered. Ive seen the pw 200-m power supply but it doesnt appear to have enough outputs on it. Does anyone know if it is possible to add a y splitter to one of the outputs without damaging or over loading it? I will also be needing to power about 8, 40mm fans to keep this thing cool in the summer time cuz it will never turn off. Im going to wire it to a seperate deep cycle battery to eliminate boot up times. If anyone has a solution or advice please let me know. thanks

that sounds like an awful lot of power to be puttin in a carpc set-up....

I really doubt that the PW-200 will work - have you done any searching on here for that power supply?

they say 200 watts, but that's the absolute max that thing will put out....

I'd seriously suggest doing some more hard core research before you dive into using that kind of a system....you MIGHT find that it's totally unnecessary and impractical in a car because of power needs....or you might find that it totally fits your needs

also, try a search for 'pwer calculator' and find out just how much power your set-up will need....then use that to either look into what power supply you need or decide that you are using much to big of a system for in car use....
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Talking about PW-200 if you are saying P4 2.8G HT, 2 HDDs, DVD writer, 8 fans and AGP card at the same time is nonsence.
      Very brief calculation:
      CPU: 78W
      MB: 15-20W
      VGA: 40-50W
      2 HDDs: 45-50W
      DVD Writer: 35W
      4 fans: 8W

On the other hand all your config is joke but you will have to realize this for yourself.

Comment

How do you plan to regulate the voltage into the PW-200?It would be a shame to fry all that expensive hardware before it gets the chance to be stolen from the car.
        Progress: 80% - Permanent install left.
        Motion LS800 Tablet PC and dock.
        Vista, Bu-535 GPS, RoadRunner, MPT2006.

Comment

AFAIK acording to datasheet from LinITX.com PW200 can handle input from 8 to 18Volts.. however I cant find it mentioned there anymore. What I can find is information of rated output of PW200 - 110Watts

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=623

Comment

http://www.carnetix.com/additional_i.../SnapInPSU.PNG
            MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by LagunaICE
              AFAIK acording to datasheet from LinITX.com PW200 can handle input from 8 to 18Volts.. however I cant find it mentioned there anymore. What I can find is information of rated output of PW200 - 110Watts

http://linitx.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=623
              Wrong, wrong, wrong.....

The PW-200M requires a regulated 12V input as the 12V rail is not regulated by the DC-DC board and goes straight through to the output.

The link you have given is for a set that includes an AC adapter with a max output of 110W, therefore making it the achievable output of the PW-200M board when used with the supplied adapter.

: Jetway J7F2 1.5Ghz Mainboard : Cubid 3688 : CarNetix CNX-P1260 :
              : Netgear 802.11g PCMCIA : 2 x LinITX 7" Screens :
              : BU353 USB GPS Mouse : Panasonic UJ845 DVDRW :

Comment

See this for a potential regulator:
                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...2&page=1&pp=15
                It still won't reach the full 200W though.

Comment

Originally posted by sansoo24
                  I will be using a p4 2.8c HT processor an ati radeon 9600 pro graphics card and im unsure of the sound card. The motherboard is yet to be decided as well. But it will support raid and i plan on using it. That means dual hard drives a multi card reader and a dvd/rw that all need powered. I will also be needing to power about 8, 40mm fans to keep this thing cool in the summer time cuz it will never turn off.
                  Are you going to tell us why you need such a stupidly overspecced PC in your car?And why on earth 40mm fans? They are loud an ineffective. Use bigger, quieter, better fans. At least 80mm or preferably larger still.

Comment

This site have the best info including manuals:
                    http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/ck.QyJ5...it.A/id.300/.f

and also check there power simulator:

http://resources.mini-box.com/online...simulator.html
                    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

I have 2 40mm fans and no problem.... no noise

Ahhh and I'm running the PW200 and ITPS (did 48 hours streight of stress test without problems)
                      RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                      We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos106
                        I have 2 40mm fans and no problem.... no noise

Ahhh and I'm running the PW200 and ITPS (did 48 hours streight of stress test without problems)
                        Sure, but how much airflow cooling do they achieve? Your second comment answers that largely. The ITPS has a max rating of 60W so they don't need to provide much cooling...

Comment

Definitely seems better than most but its got a very limited selection. Also, you can reduce the USB current requirements if you know what each of your devices needs. Most are 100mA devices which means the max current draw is 100mA or below. For e.g. my GPS is a 100mA USB device as far as Windows knows. The manufacturer told me they never draw more than 60. So allocating 2.5W for every device is overkill unless they are all DVDs or network NICs and will actually use that.

Comment

Since you have a stupidly power hungry setup you probably want something like this:
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...320#post412320
                            or an invertor and ATX power supply. I'd recommend the latter Since you say you will have a dedicated battery for it.

Comment

For all of you who think this is overpowered you are absolutely right. But if im gonna do this im going all out. This isnt the first custom job ive done. Its just the first computer ive installed in my truck. And i want the power of my desktop in my truck. If i want to play computer games on my lunch break i dont want my system to suck. And yes 120 mm fans are better than 40mm. I wasnt thinking at that hour of the morning. And by the way the pw 200 can be regulated with the ITPS from Minibox.com with a proper heat sink installed. And since the previous mentioned specs are off my old computer than im not spending any extra money besides installation costs. And i hope to hell it does get stollen cuz a thing like full coverage insurance means i get paid back if it does. And ill put an even bigger one in there. But good luck trying to steal it without a crow bar and a blow torch. This will be a complete custom setup including dash, center console and a sub wall in back. And if i can find enough power to run 4 1000 watt subs in this truck i can find enough for an over powered pc. The problem is regulating it and the heating issues. But if neccessary ill vapor cool the the peice crap. But thats a step i dont want to pay for. But the calculator link that THANATOS106 porided me has a bigger setup than mine, and has 185.93 watts, 15.49 volts and 9.44 amps being drawn while the computer is running office apps. So it can be done. In fact i think i will do it. And if you dont like it...well i dont care. But i do want to give a big thanks to all of you who did provide me with some very usefull information. And if this setup fries well at least i will have learned something.

Comment

Working...
                              X