Splicing Audio Jack Wires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splicing Audio Jack Wires

Right now I have an audio jack that I plug either into my mp3 player or my laptop.

Can I splice the wires into two audio jacks and have one plugged into the mp3 player and the other plugged into the laptop?

Will I be able to play music from one jack while the other is plugged in?

Will I be able to play music from both at the same time?

I wouldn't splice it, you can go to Radio Hack and get a y-cable. As far a having them both plugged in at the same time, it depends on the devices, some will work that way and some won't, that one is trial and error. I wouldn't play both at the same time though, may or may not cause bad things to happen.
    Install { 50% } Complete for now.
    But stable and running happily

Comment

You shouldn't play both at the same time, since the two will fight each other, potentially damaging them. You may want to consider a very basic mixer circuit http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...s/linesum.html.

Comment

SVTRanger - the link mushin gave says a y-adapter is not the way to go.

Mushin - in the diagram, it's hard to see which end is ground, and which is v+ etc.

Comment

phita23 - In those diagrams, where it says (shields), those are the grounds.

Comment

Oh man, I still don't see it. Can someone sketch up a simple paint diagram?

Comment

Originally posted by phita23
              Oh man, I still don't see it. Can someone sketch up a simple paint diagram?
              Just put a 10k ohm resister in series with the L and R audio, then join the L and R channel from multiple sources. The grounds can all be connected. If you can't handle that, then you really should have someone build something for you.

Comment

Got it. I guess reading the description would have helped.

Why do the resistors work/do the job?

Comment

Originally posted by phita23
                  Got it. I guess reading the description would have helped.

Why do the resistors work/do the job?

My wife would tell you that instructions have pictures for men and words for the ladies. The webpage goes over it, read it all.

Comment

Working...
                  X