Semi Noob questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi Noob questions

Well one of my friends setup a car pc last year .. but due to more info and hardware coming out now, I decided to build one, or several for friends if it works out good.

My project car is going to be a 1968 Corvette Convertible.

There are two 6x9 speakers in the little compartment behind the seats, which is also where the battery is located. So far, I know I will need to get an amp to hook up the speakers, so I can output sound from the computer to the amp.

What I will be getting for the pc is:

Opus ITX Vehicle PC
    Case (Power Included) $300.00
    Shock Absorber $50.00
    HD Mounting Bracked $10.00
    Via Epia SP 1.3ghz $269.00
    512 MB Kingston Memory DDR 400 $46.00
    Western Digital 80 GB SataHD $48.00
    Wifi
    GPS
    Dvd rom slim / Slot drive
    AM / FM Tuner (??)

Now what I had questions so far was how can I hook up the dvd drive to my computer, as I will want the drive up front with the lcd? Some told me of a special adapted wire to do this. Also, what would be a good AM / FM tuner as I listen to radio / traffic on AM stations.

The wifi and gps I can get (but wouldn't mind recommendation on a good GPS).

Lastly, I was told the opus power solution isn't the best, and drains more power from the car battery, then the other solution (I have that written up home). What are your ideas on that? I can get the case without the power (90W opus) for 160, and the other power supply was about 80 bucks I think that does startup / shutdown.

I'm not sure if I am leaving anything out here. Please let me know if there is something else that I might have forgotten, or should check out, as it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kosta

Originally posted by kosta
    Now what I had questions so far was how can I hook up the dvd drive to my computer, as I will want the drive up front with the lcd? Some told me of a special adapted wire to do this.
    You can put an "internal" drive into an external enclosure, connected to the PC via USB. Check usbgeek.com and other places, as well as the hardware forum here.
    Also, what would be a good AM / FM tuner as I listen to radio / traffic on AM stations.
    I don't know of one that'll receive AM; I have a DLink DSB-R100 that I use to get FM. There's a project to get AM&FM into your PC, again in the hardware forum, but I haven't been paying much attention to it.

What colour is your 'vette?

Comment

You can also use a firewire adapter like Gork did in mounting his DVD drive in the ceiling (http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16568).

I've been following the AM/FM radio project that some guys are developing here (http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40612). They have some audio and video samples of the project in beta. Its going to be the way to go for radio once they release it.

But I'm curious as to what LCD you were planning on using since its a convertible.

Comment

IT's green (has sparkles, so not sure of exact name, thats how it was painted when I got it) with black stripes. I'm planning to take pics of how the interior looks now, pointing out where I want to place everything.

My friend has a liliput 7" lcd that I might borrow from him to test it out. I like it because I believe it is only 1 Din slot, and it folds out when you want to use it, which would be perfect so it stays hidden when I'm driving, or have it unattended!

I guess most people do not use AM, so it might not be a deal breaker, but would love to see how that project is going.

Thanks,

Kosta

Comment

The other thing was about the USB hubs that I will most likely need. I know the wifi / gps will be probably usb operated. Also, in the future I will like to add usb cameras, so I can take in car video (rear view and facing foward).

I read about powered and usb hubs, and wanted to know if I should get powered, or how I can tell what I will need.

thanks

Comment

I read about powered and usb hubs, and wanted to know if I should get powered, or how I can tell what I will need.
            Hmm... Well, that would depend on the device. The USB line only provides a max of 500mA (I believe). Past that, you'll need to look into supplemental power, be it a powered hub or device's own power supply.

FWIW, I always get powered hubs (you'll actually have to look to find an unpowered one, but they're out there). If a device needs its own power source, then use that, too.

Comment

i guess i'll have to figure out if i need external power, but mostly likely not. so i ll probably wind up getting powered ones anyway, just to be safe.

thanks,

kosta

Comment

My project car is going to be a 1968 Corvette Convertible.
                I'm so jealous. Sweet ride. Got any pics?

Now what I had questions so far was how can I hook up the dvd drive to my computer, as I will want the drive up front with the lcd? Some told me of a special adapted wire to do this. Also, what would be a good AM / FM tuner as I listen to radio / traffic on AM stations.
                The drive can be put in an external enclosures or IDE adapters -> USB adapters to accomplish this.

Lastly, I was told the opus power solution isn't the best, and drains more power from the car battery, then the other solution (I have that written up home). What are your ideas on that? I can get the case without the power (90W opus) for 160, and the other power supply was about 80 bucks I think that does startup / shutdown.
                I'm curious who told you that. The Opus is the unit that people on these forums like the best. It's what I'll be using in my project once I get to purtchaseing a power solution (unless my friend can make me a higher-power solution). I don't recall any instances of the opus using more battery power than other solutions.
                You can search the POWER SUPPLY forum for problems people have had with Opus units (Opii?).

I'm not sure if I am leaving anything out here. Please let me know if there is something else that I might have forgotten, or should check out, as it would be greatly appreciated.
                Ummmm.
                How are we going to know what you've forgotten?

Seriously, you'll remember lots of other questions or ideas or whatever.

Most of the answers to your questions can be found in these forums. Make use of the search tool. It reveals much.

Oh, and let us see some pics of the ride when its done so I can drool
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks for putting a smile on my face, this early in the morning is hard to do! I had to drive my sister into NYC to drop off suits for her wedding, and I got stuck leaving the house at 7 am .. instead of 9am when i usually do! Now im stuck at a client waiting for someone to sign a check so I can bring it to my boss, this sucks!

I have some pics up, but have to put more pics up in the future. You can see some pics at:

http://www.yuppieracing.com/gallery/Kostas

First album is the 1959 Mercedes 190 SL roadster, and the second are of the Vette ... I do not forsee putting in a system in the Mercedes, unless I can find a good way to conceal everything, because I don't want to modify that car much.

Tomorrow, my friend and I are going to probably jump in the vette (engine / tranny are being put back in fairly soon) so we can figure out best way to mod the dash, as it should be fairly simple, I hope! At least I won't have to run long wires, which is a big plus in having a two seater.

I'm still unsure of If I will be putting the lcd in the dash, or have the pull out lcd. Anyway my check just came, so ttyl.

Kosta

Comment

Working...
                  X