Please Help... some final questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help... some final questions

So converting from lurker to "Doer" and then hopefully contributor.
    Just need some help on some final (yeah right) questions...

Setup :

7" In dash VGA LCD 700IDT...
    VIA EPIA MII12000 Board with 512MB RAM, DVD Drive, etc etc...
    OPUS 90W PS

My question(s) :

1) Power : Im a little sketchy on how the power is gonna work. I understand the Opus will connect to the Car battery and the PC. Should that be it. I dont have the OPUS in front of me, but my PC has a 200W PS in it, so should I take that out and install the OPUS, or connect it in serial, or what. Cant seem to figure that out and excuse me for seeming a little dumb.

2) I would like to have a switch, in my dash, where I could operate the PC with the switch. So even if I turn the car on, but the switch is off, the PC stays off/hibernated etc... but if i power the switch on it comes on, and if i leave the switch on and turn off the engine, the opus takes over and shuts it down after x interval. Trying to figure out how to wire the switch as well. Already bought a slick momentary push button switch.

3) Power : Im trying to figure out how to power the LCD. Should it be behind the OPUS, getting power from it, or directly from the 12V of the car. In which case if it does, how does it know to come on or go off, based on the state of the computer.

I appreciate your input.
    Thanks.

Taimoor

Don't take what i say as fact. Im a nub actually. But I would like to see if I can answer it right. Maybee the board gurus will graduate me from nub to amatuer ^^
    1. The opus takes place of your PSU

2. I believe what you could do is place a switch on your "ignition switch" line that runs to your OPUS. *still can't figure out why you would sometimes not want your computer to come on with the car*

3. I believe you can power your LCD off one of you OPUS molex connectors. I never done it myself *i will once the screen gets here* but I know there is a tutorial of it here on the board just gotta for it

Comment

Originally posted by taimoor
      So converting from lurker to "Doer" and then hopefully contributor.
      Just need some help on some final (yeah right) questions...

Setup :

7" In dash VGA LCD 700IDT...
      VIA EPIA MII12000 Board with 512MB RAM, DVD Drive, etc etc...
      OPUS 90W PS

My question(s) :

1) Power : Im a little sketchy on how the power is gonna work. I understand the Opus will connect to the Car battery and the PC. Should that be it. I dont have the OPUS in front of me, but my PC has a 200W PS in it, so should I take that out and install the OPUS, or connect it in serial, or what. Cant seem to figure that out and excuse me for seeming a little dumb.
      You will need 12v to the opus and a remote feed (at 12v) I suggest running the power wire right from the battery (with the correct fuses of course) and the remote you can lead of anything that works while the key is in acc. or run (the same as you would likely run a remote to your amp)

The opus would replace your power supply unless you want to run additional powersupplies for drives/components ect. but if you want to use your computers AC-DC PSU you would need a inverter. Chances are you just want to replace the computers PSU with the opus.

2) I would like to have a switch, in my dash, where I could operate the PC with the switch. So even if I turn the car on, but the switch is off, the PC stays off/hibernated etc... but if i power the switch on it comes on, and if i leave the switch on and turn off the engine, the opus takes over and shuts it down after x interval. Trying to figure out how to wire the switch as well. Already bought a slick momentary push button switch.
      just run the switch in your remote line to the opus. If you leave it off the opus will never get the signal to turn on. If you turn the switch off with the opus running it should send the power off signal to the computer. If you leave the switch on the opus will act normally.

3) Power : Im trying to figure out how to power the LCD. Should it be behind the OPUS, getting power from it, or directly from the 12V of the car. In which case if it does, how does it know to come on or go off, based on the state of the computer.

I appreciate your input.
      Thanks.

Taimoor
      however works for you. Because I removed my headunit I just used the 12v lead for the head unit to power my screen ( it was already in the same spot in the dash and unused less wires to run to the trunk ) You need to make sure whatever you do that you provide the screen with the regulated voltage that it requires.

It should come on and off just like your home computers monitor. Mine goes into standby after loosing signal from the computer after the opus tells it to hibernate and about 10 seconds later it goes off. Because my screen is on the headunits lead it is always receiving power but in standby draws a very minute amount. as soon as I put the key in and turn to acc or run the opus kicks in the computer comes back to life and the screen comes out of stanby just as your home machine does.
      My Install

Software:
      CFiG v1
      iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
      Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
      StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Alti beat me with a through explanation, so I'll just edit this down to useful info:

2) You have a momentary switch, and you will not be able to use it in the fashion that Alti described, as the switch cannot hold its position. If you just have to use your switch, you will need to use a latching circuit.

Comment

Some followup...

Thanks everyone for your responses... This is what I have so far...

The 700IDT should just be powered off the cars main 12V, like my head unit as well, since it has a built in regulator

My switch should be connected as follows :

Car Battery 12 V ------ Switch ----- OPUS ----- PC

This way if the switch is on, the opus will behave as normally, but if for any reason i turn the switch off, the opus and the pc will never come on and stay in the off mode.

Someone mentioned something about a fuse, jsut want to make sure, if i need any kind of fuses and where in the setup.

Also, wanted to clear the confusion about the momentary switch, whether it can be used in such a setup or not... i can get a different switch as well. Also someone mentioned to put the switch to the Mother Board, so Kinda like this ??

Car 12V ------- OPUS ---- SWITCH ---- PC

Im jsut wondering if this is a better solution or not.

Also I probably should have put this disclaimer first, but I have NO clue on wha tim doing, in regard to car wiring. Never even SEEN what the car wires look like, so as much detail as possible is always appreciated...

Taimoor

Comment

@joshthepilot: While what you describe will work, it won't do what taimoor wants to do (if I understand him correctly), namely turn on the PC with the ignition (unless the switch is off), and automatically shutdown with the ignition irrespective of the switch.

@taimoor: You can place the switch in the power line, but you would need a high-current switch - it's much better to place the switch on the remote line as descibed on Alti's post. A momentary switch won't work for this without some circuitry though, which I'm guessing you don't want to deal with. Get a toggle, rocker, latching pushbutton, or whatever kind of switch that suits your fancy as long as it's not momemtary.

You want a single fuse on the (+) wire between the opus and the battery, as close to the battery as you can reasonably get it. I suggest a 10A fuse. Make sure that the wire you use can safely carry more than 10A (so 14AWG or larger wire). I suggest you get some clue on car wiring before you do anything . Try this site out for starters: http://www.bcae1.com/.

Comment

Originally posted by mushin
              Try this site out for starters: http://www.bcae1.com/.
              This is a great link. I spent hours on this site when I first found it. Read the fuses page, you'll notice that the webmaster notes that it is the most importaint page on the site.

Make sure every time you change AWG wire size you fuse it with the appropriate fuse.
              My Install

Software:
              CFiG v1
              iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
              Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
              StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Working...
              X