Turbo Timer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Timer

Has anyone had a turbo timer incorporated in their car pc?

Not that I'm aware of. I have a turbo, but I just shut the car off when I'm done with it.

Comment

Been awhile since i messed with turbos. But im thinking a turbo timer keeps the oil pump going even after ignition is off to let the turbo spin down before the oil drains from the bearings. Let me know if im wrong. But if a power supply like an opus has a shutdown control timer. You would think the oil pump power could be run to it therefore your oil pump would keep going untill the computer shutsdown. Im not sure how long a turbo timer needs to run compared to the selectable times on the shutdown controler. But id say go for it. Sounds simple enough to me. Also sounds like a pretty cool idea.

Comment

Turbo timer just essentially keeps the ignition on (which in turn will keep your oil/water pumps going if they are belt driven...). Prevents the oil from getting cooked from a quick shutoff.

Just a personal preference, id rather just have a standalone box to do this (which i do), otherwise you'll be using the PC to control the igniton, in addition to having the ignition control the PC...too much confusion, imho. But if you get something to work, props.
        Mazdaspeed Car Computer
        gotta redo it all

Comment

Originally posted by azoodica
          Has anyone had a turbo timer incorporated in their car pc?
          My Supra alarm has remote start and can be use as turbo timer. Selectable shutdown in 6 or 12 minutes. I have it on 6 min. I only use it either on a quick stop to a liquor store or after driving the turbo hard. After the turbo timer expire (6 min), the engine stop and so all the power to/from ACC and IGN are kill. The PC also begins its shutdown sequence the moment the ACC drop power.
          2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
          89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
          Y2K Accord Dell GX150
          RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
          EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by Zip-Lock
            Not that I'm aware of. I have a turbo, but I just shut the car off when I'm done with it.
            Ouch! Nothing like turning that oil in your turbo to ash

It may be different for some cars though, as I've heard that some manufacturers keep the oil pump going after the car is shut off in order to circulate it. 'Course, doesn't work with a gear or belt driven oil pumps, only electric.

I put a GReddy timer on my Supra when I first got it @ 93K miles. It's still on the original turbo at 193K miles. And original seals, although I'm thinking it might be time to replace them.

Back to the original question... I don't think it's been done, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. That serial relay board project that someone was working on might be a start in the right direction.
            89 Supra Turbo

Comment

most turbo diesels dont need a timed shut off.
              Still Planning and Scavenging Parts ------Software-----and anything else i can lay my hands on!!! :)

Acquired a Toshiba Satelite 4000CDT
              HDD`s ****ed new one on way! 30gb Toshiba.

Comment

I would suggest just getting an actual turbo timer than trying to use a computer system like this. Some of the alarms can be used as a turbo timer like MatrixPC is but 6 minutes is just wasting gas if you ask me.

I don't see the point in going over 3 minutes, even on a highly modified car. I let me car idle for at least 1 minute when I shut it off using my GReddy Turbo Timer. I have it set to the auto mode with a pre-set of 1 minute. THerefore as I run the car hard the timer will start to increae the timer and if I decide to shut it off right away it will idle for however long it has counted up to. The minium it will do is 1 minute.

Comment

I never let it run for 6 min. The most is when I am about 100feet way from the car, and I just shut it down from there which is about a min plus.
                  That is a nice thing about alarm with that feature compare to real turbo timer.
                  2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
                  89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
                  Y2K Accord Dell GX150
                  RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
                  EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

What kind of car/turbo do you have? Turbo timers are only neccessary on non-watercooled turbos that get pushed hard. But that still didn't stop me from getting one for my watercooled TD04-13G.

Pete

Comment

^ right, my turbo is both water and oilcooled, but i still have a turbo timer. it usually runs for 30 seconds, but i also like being able to set it for 5 minutes and run into a 7 11 and pick something up real quick, yakno?
                      Mazdaspeed Car Computer
                      gotta redo it all

Comment

simply, if you have been caneing it, just idle for a minute before switching the engine off to let it cool down.

Its a lo-tech solution but if you add up all the minutes vs the hour(s) that itll take to get a timer properly fitted so it doesnt mess with your alarm system, youd probably save more time not bothering.

Comment

Working...
                        X